PDA

View Full Version : laid the bike down

Valentine One Radar Detector

bikerlbf406
01-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Just figured I'd make a post to let all the members know that I decided to prove the statistic true that new riders are most likely going to lay their bike down which in the first 3 or 6 months of riding. I also want everyone to know that riding when theres ice on the road don't mix. Also for any new members reading this, do yourself a favor & get a light bike, not only for the obvious safety reasons I won't mention but also for the embarrassment factor. IT WILL BE EMBARRASSING & MORE THAN YOU PROBABLY THINK (ESPECIALLY IF ANYONE SEE YOU)......WHEN YOU LAY IT DOWN. I just laid mine down for the first time this morning, after the rear wheel happened to catch some ice as I was turning on to my street from a side street 2 doors down from me (heading back home).....that I didn't see but the rear tire had no problem finding for me. It spun me completely around than laid down on its side, before I had a chance to react in anyway. The bike was not damaged, other than a few minor road scrapes on the right side exhaust pipe, end up the throttle grip & end of the front brake lever. I was not injured, other than a very small scrape on my right leg from the bike landing on top of me. However, the embarrassment of it (two people driving down the road seen me lay it down, both seen me as one slowed down & moved over to avoid me & the other actually stopped to ask if I needed any help). Believe me, the lighter the better, as bikes being on top of you aren't comfortable & you will be embarrassed quite bad but can ease that embarrassment if your able to pick it up on your own. I found this out first hand today & I'm sure every experienced rider will agree.

Everyone stay safe out there,
Tim

Eric
01-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Hi Tim,

Man, I am really sorry to hear about this - but glad it was minor and that you and the bike are ok. Don't sweat the ego part; most of us have had something like this happen to us as well - or will, eventually.

Live and learn.

Speaking of which - have you got leathers? Or at least, a protective jacket, gloves and boots? If not, save up and buy a good set of gear as soon as you can; could save your life - or keep you from being badly injured. (And don't be dumb like me - when I was in my 20s, I'd ride wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Really, really stupid. I was lucky... but could have turned out very differently.)

Keep us posted!

-Eric

bikerlbf406
01-08-2007, 12:12 PM
I have a leather jacket. Its not the best, but it is a heavy jacket. I've been wearing that, a pair of my heavy jeans, full face helmet, full finger gloves & boots while riding. Its not the best gear on the market, however they are good enough to protect me until I can afford to by some gear actually designed for riding like I plan on. I'm not stupid enough to ride wearing short sleeve shirt, shorts, flip flops w/ no socks, no gloves & no helmet, like I have seen some do. I may not have the best of gear but I made sure I have gear good enough to protect me & actually made sure I had it even before getting the bike. I agree everyone of us haved or will lay the bike down, so I'm not sweating it, still enough to shake anyone up though. I don't think anyone ever lays their bike down & not get shook up a little.

Eric
01-08-2007, 12:18 PM
I have a leather jacket. Its not the best, but it is a heavy jacket. I've been wearing that, a pair of my heavy jeans, full face helmet, full finger gloves & boots while riding. Its not the best gear on the market, however they are good enough to protect me until I can afford to by some gear actually designed for riding like I plan on. I'm not stupid enough to ride wearing short sleeve shirt, shorts, flip flops w/ no socks, no gloves & no helmet, like I have seen some do. I may not have the best of gear but I made sure I have gear good enough to protect me & actually made sure I had it even before getting the bike. I agree everyone of us haved or will lay the bike down, so I'm not sweating it, still enough to shake anyone up though. I don't think anyone ever lays their bike down & not get shook up a little.

Check out kneedraggers.com

They are pretty cool; have bought stuff from them several times. Good prices, too. They will usually at least meet (if not beat) competitors - and they are riders, so they know what they are selling...