PDA

View Full Version : trip odometer

Valentine One Radar Detector

bikerlbf406
05-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Heres another question about my car as I just noticed it was not working, however have no clue about what could cause it to stop working. I haven't reset my trip odometer in probably a little over a month. I just refuelled my tank today & reset the odometer while doing so. It reset to all zero's like it should haved, however is not working now. I have no clue how to even figure out what could be wrong with it as I have never done any work at all on gauges. The speedometer, odometer & all other gauges work, so its not a big deal, just something I'd like to fix if I can figure out what is wrong with it & if I could fix it myself.

mrblanche
05-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Have you pushed the buttons a couple of extra times?

OK, that's the extent of my expertise!

Eric
05-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Heres another question about my car as I just noticed it was not working, however have no clue about what could cause it to stop working. I haven't reset my trip odometer in probably a little over a month. I just refuelled my tank today & reset the odometer while doing so. It reset to all zero's like it should haved, however is not working now. I have no clue how to even figure out what could be wrong with it as I have never done any work at all on gauges. The speedometer, odometer & all other gauges work, so its not a big deal, just something I'd like to fix if I can figure out what is wrong with it & if I could fix it myself.

It's been awhile since I messed with one - but if it's mechanical, it may just be worn/loose damaged plastic gears. The real problem you may face is getting to it (you may have to partially disassemble the dash to get to the instrument cluster) and then dealing with any "odometer tamper-proofing" that was built into it to prevent anyone fiddiling with the digits. If you have a shop manual, it should have the info/instructions, etc.

Kwozzie1
05-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Have you pushed the buttons a couple of extra times?

OK, that's the extent of my expertise!

That generally works for me too. Sometimes the button just sticks a bit

mrblanche
05-03-2007, 06:33 AM
That generally works for me too. Sometimes the button just sticks a bit

Yeah, I'm assuming it has some effect of "disengaging" the gears, maybe, so it can reset, and they don't fully re-engage?

As I said, speedometers are a black art, as far as I'm concerned.

bikerlbf406
05-03-2007, 07:45 PM
I appreciate all of the replies & I decided to push the button a couple more times just to see if it would start working although it reset the very first time. After pushing 2 or 3 times it did start working again. Thanks for the help.

mrblanche
05-04-2007, 03:08 PM
I appreciate all of the replies & I decided to push the button a couple more times just to see if it would start working although it reset the very first time. After pushing 2 or 3 times it did start working again. Thanks for the help.

Yes!!!! I'm a mechanical genius!!!

Or something...