PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Don...

Valentine One Radar Detector

mrblanche
06-17-2007, 01:45 PM
here's your "basket case" parts bike!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180131124226&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:MT:1

DonTom
06-17-2007, 08:40 PM
That was the first year Venture and the common color. But it's a bargain. The radio in it alone cost $1,400.00. BTW, that looks like my junk 1983 Venture that I use for parts. I bought mine for a thousand bucks many years ago. The engine runs like new. But I have already used the water pump, radiator, seat and a few other parts from the junk bike, besides moving the radio and air compressor over to my non-Royale 1984. I modified the air compressor, so I can even fill up my tires with it.

BTW, the color of my 1984 Venture is Bright Cherry Red. A much less common color for a Venture.

-Don-

DonTom
07-21-2007, 06:33 AM
That bike sold for only $760.00 What a bargain!

BTW, I tried to ride my Venture up to Antelope Lake yesterday (about 80 miles north of here). I got about five miles from it and the road was closed because of fires, so I came back home.

I have not rode this bike since last summer, other than a very short test ride last week (around the block) after I changed the engine oil, filter and checked the tire & shock pressures and other basic stuff. I think it was July of last year when I rode it last for more than a few miles. The one year old gasoline ran perfectly, of course, just as I expected. But I went far enough to get at least some fresh gasoline in the tank. I started out with a full tank of one year old gasoline and filled it up near here when I got back.

I still wonder if it would run as well if I did put Sta-Bil in there last year. Perhaps it would cause more problems than the year old gasoline which causes none at all!

-Don- (Reno)

mrblanche
07-26-2007, 10:10 PM
In working on a farm, I have seen "old" gas in some tractors, etc. For that matter, the last motorcycle I bought had gummed-up carbs from gas sitting in it. But it was probably there for several years.

The tractors were usually just from the previous year, however. Old gas has a very distinctive smell that says "machine shed" to my scent-memory.

DonTom
07-26-2007, 10:39 PM
"In working on a farm, I have seen "old" gas in some tractors, etc. For that matter, the last motorcycle I bought had gummed-up carbs from gas sitting in it. But it was probably there for several years."

Either way, Sta-Bil does nothing as it says right on the bottle (That it's only good in gasoline for a year).

I have used one year old gasoline in boats, motorcycles, RV, weed eaters, lawn mowers (I don't think I ever went a year in a car without running at least one full tank in less than a year). I have not had even the slightest problem with any. Perhaps your smell test is the best way to tell.

BTW, did you try to start the bike with the very old gasoline? Some say the issue isn't starting, but gumming up carbs when it gets too old. Larger engines (larger jets) and EFI will probably show even less problems with very old gasoline.

I don't consider one year old gasoline to be "too old", but I would not want to go much longer than a year.

-Don-

mrblanche
07-26-2007, 10:45 PM
No, I didn't try to start it. When I opened the drains on the carbs, nothing much came out, at least not in a liquid form.