PDA

View Full Version : Silverwing--

Valentine One Radar Detector

Jim Rose
08-23-2007, 01:25 AM
I just updated my ride to a Silverwing. The Helix was good and will make some commuter a great ride, but this Silverwing Scooter is something else!

Eric
08-23-2007, 08:33 AM
I just updated my ride to a Silverwing. The Helix was good and will make some commuter a great ride, but this Silverwing Scooter is something else!

These new scooters are closer to motorcycles in terms of capability and "highway legs" than ever... and I'm seeing more and more of them, no doubt because of fuel prices.

Have you got a pic?

Jim Rose
08-23-2007, 10:47 AM

These new scooters are closer to motorcycles in terms of capability and "highway legs" than ever... and I'm seeing more and more of them, no doubt because of fuel prices.

Have you got a pic?

I'll take some today-- I was amazed at the power. It'll blow away a noisey Harley all the way up to 90-- (That's as fast as I've had it) According to a friend who rode it and is a "crotch rocket" ex, this thing handles just like one!

mrblanche
08-23-2007, 01:33 PM
The "Burgman" is really gaining popularity, too. I think it may be an answer to some commuting woes in some areas.

http://www.suzuki-bikes.com/burgman650.php

http://www.suzuki-bikes.com/images/burgman650.jpg

Jim Rose
08-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Here are the SWING photos and the link to the specs:

http://tinyurl.com/2vmvnf
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u82/flyerjmr33/CIMG1302.jpg

mrblanche
08-23-2007, 05:06 PM
I'll be honest. If I were offered an old Vespa, I'd be hard pressed to resist it!

Almost as hard as a Cushman Eagle.

Eric
08-23-2007, 05:36 PM
I'll be honest. If I were offered an old Vespa, I'd be hard pressed to resist it!

Almost as hard as a Cushman Eagle.

On the other hand, these new scooters are getting very pricey; comparable to the cost of many entry-level motorcycles - and more than you'd pay for a good used 250 cc dual sport (or even a 650, for that matter).

And I'd much rather have the dual-sport. More fun, more capable - and you don't look silly riding one!

Jim Rose
08-23-2007, 06:45 PM
>>And I'd much rather have the dual-sport. More fun, more capable - and you don't look silly riding one! <<

I may look silly, but I am sitting in a helluva lot more comfortable position than any crotch rocket offers and I don't have to mess with a clutch ot transmission.
I don't go off road and I don't take it to the track. It's simply for riding to the store and going on trips around the area. I can carry a lot more under the seat than you can in 2 large saddle bags.
I guess you could call a scooter the "mini-van" of motorcycles.

Eric
08-23-2007, 07:14 PM
>>And I'd much rather have the dual-sport. More fun, more capable - and you don't look silly riding one! <<

I may look silly, but I am sitting in a helluva lot more comfortable position than any crotch rocket offers and I don't have to mess with a clutch ot transmission.
I don't go off road and I don't take it to the track. It's simply for riding to the store and going on trips around the area. I can carry a lot more under the seat than you can in 2 large saddle bags.
I guess you could call a scooter the "mini-van" of motorcycles.

I won't argue you can carry more stuff (unless I add bags to the bike), but I prefer having a clutch and gears to row, for one. But the main objection I would have is the cost - that Silverwing runs twice the cost of a slightly used dual sport in near-new condition. And because it's designed for trail use, etc. I bet the dual sport is inherently more durable - and would last a lotlonger and with less maintenance.

I'm not slamming the scooter - just pointing out a fewdownsides....

mrblanche
08-23-2007, 07:52 PM
I won't argue you can carry more stuff (unless I add bags to the bike), but I prefer having a clutch and gears to row, for one. But the main objection I would have is the cost - that Silverwing runs twice the cost of a slightly used dual sport in near-new condition. And because it's designed for trail use, etc. I bet the dual sport is inherently more durable - and would last a lotlonger and with less maintenance.

I'm not slamming the scooter - just pointing out a fewdownsides....

I don't see a downside in anything you mentioned. If you want a dualsport, go for it. But the SilverWing and the Burgman are very capable bikes, with a lot of advances making them safer and more utilitarian.

Eric
08-23-2007, 08:13 PM
"I don't see a downside in anything you mentioned...."

The MSRP for one of these things is $8,499.

That's not a "downside"?

Eight grand.. for a ... scooter?

I agree they're nice. But eight grand?

Hell, I could buy a slightly used ZZR1200 (a real motorcycle and a very competent sport-tourer) or similar for about the same money.

And something like a KLR650 would cost thousands less, even brand new. This bike can go places the Scooter wouldn't dare (or get in trouble if it did), is thus more versatile - and can carry as much or more, with soft bags fitted.

Plus - it's a real bike.

I got my KL250 for $2,000 - one-fourth the cost of the Silverwing. It gets 70 mpg, can handle highway speeds (90-plus, all out) and can go just about anywhere, rain, shine - even snow.

Might not carry as much - and you have to shift your own gears.

But I'd rather have the pleasure - and the extra six grand in my pocket!

Jim Rose
08-24-2007, 02:02 AM
>>The MSRP for one of these things is $8,499. <<

Mine is an '04 model that had 6800 miles on it and a slavage title. The original owner dropped it and screwed up the Tupperware and the insurance company did it in.
It was then bough after being repaired for the wife of a fellow in our scooter group. His wife was sitting still with the handlebars turned and the thing started down and she couldn't stop it. Made a couple of scratches on it and scared thye hell out of her. She's small and that 500 pounds was too much. She finally got him to buy her a smaller scooter that weighed 100 pounds less and I got the SWING for a song!

It keeps you dry on wet roads-- your bike wont -- I can ride it for a couple of hundred miles and still walk-- At my age, the riding position of anything but a big Harley or Goldwing would damn near kill me! If you don't kill yourself doing 160 MPH and you make it to be 74, you'll understand all of what I am saying!

Eric
08-24-2007, 08:15 AM

Mine is an '04 model that had 6800 miles on it and a slavage title. The original owner dropped it and screwed up the Tupperware and the insurance company did it in.
It was then bough after being repaired for the wife of a fellow in our scooter group. His wife was sitting still with the handlebars turned and the thing started down and she couldn't stop it. Made a couple of scratches on it and scared thye hell out of her. She's small and that 500 pounds was too much. She finally got him to buy her a smaller scooter that weighed 100 pounds less and I got the SWING for a song!

It keeps you dry on wet roads-- your bike wont -- I can ride it for a couple of hundred miles and still walk-- At my age, the riding position of anything but a big Harley or Goldwing would damn near kill me! If you don't kill yourself doing 160 MPH and you make it to be 74, you'll understand all of what I am saying!

Yeah, I hear you...!

I didn't realize they were that heavy, though. 500 pounds is more than my 1200 cc sport bike weighs, just for comparison. My dual sport weighs maybe 250 pounds... my immediate reaction is oen of concern about that weight combined with a novice rider (I can't recall, but I don't think you have to have a motorcycle endorsement to ride a scooter; the law has not caught up with the reality of today's models, etc.). A 500 pound bike can be big trouble for a newbie... but maybe those scooters are better balanced? I have next to no experience riding them, so I have no idea...

Glad you got a "pre-owned" one, by the way... that is the ticket, indeed.

Jim Rose
08-24-2007, 09:29 AM
>>I didn't realize they were that heavy, though. 500 pounds is more than my 1200 cc sport bike weighs, just for comparison. My dual sport weighs maybe 250 pounds... my immediate reaction is oen of concern about that weight combined with a novice rider (I can't recall, but I don't think you have to have a motorcycle endorsement to ride a scooter; the law has not caught up with the reality of today's models, etc.). A 500 pound bike can be big trouble for a newbie... but maybe those scooters are better balanced? I have next to no experience riding them, so I have no idea... <<

They have a very low CG because of the engine location. Here in Texas, you need a MC endorsment for all above 50CC. Go test drive one at your Honda or Suzi or Yamahammer dealer!
Honda is coming out with a 900cc scooter this year! That should do wheelies pretty easy!

Eric
08-24-2007, 09:37 AM
"They have a very low CG because of the engine location. Here in Texas, you need a MC endorsment for all above 50CC. Go test drive one at your Honda or Suzi or Yamahammer dealer!
Honda is coming out with a 900cc scooter this year! That should do wheelies pretty easy!"

I thought that might be the case from the photos, etc... .

I wouldn't mind test riding one, but I still like a bike with gears to shift and which can outcorner (in the right hands) virtually any exotic sports car on the road!

900 ccs... crikey!

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose (fuel economy)? For just knocking around, or even for highway cruising, I would imagine that around 500-650 ccs is more than adequate. If you need to go really fast, wouldn't a regular motorcycle be more suitable?

Jim Rose
08-24-2007, 02:17 PM
>>Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose (fuel economy)? For just knocking around, or even for highway cruising, I would imagine that around 500-650 ccs is more than adequate. If you need to go really fast, wouldn't a regular motorcycle be more suitable? <<

I really was looking to upgrade to a 400cc, but the deal on the SWING was too good to pass up. It is more than adequate for town & LD trips and on thye last trip it got 54 MPG-- the 250 was averaging 66 MPG and would top out at 70-72 mph. That gave me no reserve power to get out of tight spots on the freeway but was fine for cruising and errands.
Scooters, unless you get a Goldwing, are much more comfortable and convenient than bikes ---

Ken
01-12-2008, 02:16 PM

Hm!, not quite sure what you are saying here Jim. I haven't killed myself at 160mph, haven't even hurt myself on a bike yet. Fastest speed on old bike 152mph at Bruntingthorpe raceway, haven't had the new bike, CBR600RR-7 up to its 165mph top speed yet as the straight at Cadwell Park raceway is too short. I have, however, managed to reach the ripe old age of 74, ride as lead rider on club rideouts and still feel as though I'm only 25 (Apart from the usual aches and pains that being 74 brings - just ignore them and they will go away.).

Jim Rose
01-12-2008, 05:34 PM
>>Apart from the usual aches and pains that being 74 brings - just ignore them and they will go away.<<

Yeah, right---

Ken
01-12-2008, 05:51 PM
>>Apart from the usual aches and pains that being 74 brings - just ignore them and they will go away.<<

Yeah, right---

Well, yeah, OK, they don't really go away but adrenaline takes the edge off them.

Ken.

Jim Rose
01-13-2008, 01:37 AM
>>Well, yeah, OK, they don't really go away but adrenaline takes the edge off them.<<

That too---

Eric
01-13-2008, 09:15 AM

Hm!, not quite sure what you are saying here Jim. I haven't killed myself at 160mph, haven't even hurt myself on a bike yet. Fastest speed on old bike 152mph at Bruntingthorpe raceway, haven't had the new bike, CBR600RR-7 up to its 165mph top speed yet as the straight at Cadwell Park raceway is too short. I have, however, managed to reach the ripe old age of 74, ride as lead rider on club rideouts and still feel as though I'm only 25 (Apart from the usual aches and pains that being 74 brings - just ignore them and they will go away.).

You are my hero!

Well, my role model, anyhow...

I hope I am still riding when I am your age; you must have worked hard to keep yourself fit!

PS: When I was about 14 I was out running (I'm an avid middle distance runner) I got passed by a guy who must have been in his 60s and could have been in his 70s. It made a tremendous impression on me. We can't help getting older - but we can do a lot to stave off the effects of getting older. I'm 41 and am stronger now than I was when I was 25 (I train with weights 4-5 times each week) and still run 7-8 miles two or three times each week. I feel no different than I did at 20; I know I can keep up with guys in their 20s... I guess genetics play a role, but I attribute much of this to the fact that I work out pretty aggressively and have done so since I was a teenager, eat decently - and don't smoke (never have) and drink moderately.

Anyhow, congratulations; I had no idea!

Ken
01-13-2008, 11:31 AM
... I guess genetics play a role, but I attribute much of this to the fact that I work out pretty aggressively and have done so since I was a teenager, eat decently - and don't smoke (never have) and drink moderately.

I must be honest and admit that I don't actually make any major effort to keep fit. I eat (reasonably) sensibly, rarely have more than one drink a day, try not to let the weight get out of hand, but I think you are right - genetics probably plays a large part. My Dad, dead now unfortunately, was very active up into his eighties until the Big C got him. His lifestyle was similar to mine and we shared the same interests and hobbies. I used to smoke, quite heavily at times, but stopped in 1989. I'd caught a chest infection and, as a result hadn't smoked for a week. When I was well again I went to light a cigarette then thought 'I haven't smoked for a week - I dont need this any more,' and just stopped. To be honest I didn't find that I felt better or fitter for giving up, I just had a lot more money in my pockets and the Chancellor of the Exchequer had a lot less in his coffers! I suppose my only excuse for real exercise was the fact that, up until I was about 45 or so, I used to swim forty lengths every, day finishing off with two lengths under water, so my lungs were always pretty effective.

Ken.

Eric
01-13-2008, 02:55 PM
... I guess genetics play a role, but I attribute much of this to the fact that I work out pretty aggressively and have done so since I was a teenager, eat decently - and don't smoke (never have) and drink moderately.

I must be honest and admit that I don't actually make any major effort to keep fit. I eat (reasonably) sensibly, rarely have more than one drink a day, try not to let the weight get out of hand, but I think you are right - genetics probably plays a large part. My Dad, dead now unfortunately, was very active up into his eighties until the Big C got him. His lifestyle was similar to mine and we shared the same interests and hobbies. I used to smoke, quite heavily at times, but stopped in 1989. I'd caught a chest infection and, as a result hadn't smoked for a week. When I was well again I went to light a cigarette then thought 'I haven't smoked for a week - I dont need this any more,' and just stopped. To be honest I didn't find that I felt better or fitter for giving up, I just had a lot more money in my pockets and the Chancellor of the Exchequer had a lot less in his coffers! I suppose my only excuse for real exercise was the fact that, up until I was about 45 or so, I used to swim forty lengths every, day finishing off with two lengths under water, so my lungs were always pretty effective.

Ken.

Well, you must be doing something right!

Even a dozen laps, riding aggressively at a track day takes a lot of stamina - as well as strength. It is much harder to be "fast" on a bike if you're not in decent shape than it is to drive a car fast....