PDA

View Full Version : Today, I felt like Rossi...

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
08-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Here's why:

Earlier today, I decided to go the gym (in Roanoke, about half an hour away) on the old Kaw - my Kz900. On the way back home, headed toward Bent Mountain, I rode up behind a guy on my other bike - a ZRX1200; same color (green) and everything. I figured he'd lose me without even trying once we started up the mountain - a couple of miles of switchbacks and two very challenging (at speed) decreasing radius turns. He, after all, had a modern sport bike with probably 50 more horsepower and vastly better (and much wider) tires, as well as a proper suspension. I'm riding a 32 year-old machine with skinny wire wheels and tires and the factory-stock (and marginal at best) suspension - at least, compared with the new bike.

So the road opens up to two lanes (right for trucks and slower-moving traffic) and I fall in behind the ZRX in the left, figuring I'll at least try to keep up with him for awhile.

Well, come the first corner, I realize he's got no game. Chicken stripe/can't lean city. He goes in too early with too much steering and not enough hard-over. I am on his ass - unexpectedly. I edge my bike right and sail past him, scraping my header as I go and roll on hard as I stand her up coming out of the turn. I am now well ahead of the Rex as he's still dealing with the turn and not yet accelerating.Exulting, I dive into the next turn mercilessly, the old Kaw's undercarriage spraying sparks. I am determined to get up the mountain first now.

I take a quick glance in my mirror to check the new Kaw; he's losing ground to me with each corner. I began to feel sorry for him - because he's either so green or so bad that he couldn't keep up with a bike half as capable as his and probably older than he was.

By the time I got the top of Bent Mountain, he was not even in sight. I eventually noticed his headlight, way back there...

But he never caught me.

Or even came close.

(Disclaimer: I've been on the other end of this deal at track days when I got whumped by club racers, so I know the feeling. But this dude was an embarrassment. Felt bad for his bike; it deserved a better rider. He would be better off on a Hardley-Ableson!)

Kwozzie1
08-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Young hoons rule ;D

Eric
08-25-2007, 07:32 AM
Young hoons rule ;D

I felt pretty!

That old Kz can be run pretty hard; its mainissue (well, ok, one of them) is cornering clearance - but it's kind of fun to watch the sparks fly!

mrblanche
08-25-2007, 07:46 PM
It's the old question: Can a Corvette beat a Ferrari?

Answer...if the Corvette driver knows his car well, and gets to choose the venue.

Eric
08-26-2007, 08:28 AM
It's the old question: Can a Corvette beat a Ferrari?

Answer...if the Corvette driver knows his car well, and gets to choose the venue.

And gets to pick his Corvette!

Despite having IRS, etc., 'Vettes of the '70s were terrible handling cars in factory trim. Not just incomparison with modern 'Vettes, but in their day also. Ever drive one?

mrblanche
08-26-2007, 09:10 AM
Despite having IRS, etc., 'Vettes of the '70s were terrible handling cars in factory trim. Not just incomparison with modern 'Vettes, but in their day also. Ever drive one?

No, only rode in one. Terrible ride. I understand the next year was much better.

Eric
08-26-2007, 09:16 AM

No, only rode in one. Terrible ride. I understand the next year was much better.

Awful cars.

A mid-late '70s Trans-Am with the WS6 handling package will outcorner a standard 'Vette of the same year/era and has a much more forgiving ride.

mrblanche
08-26-2007, 11:30 AM
One good thing is that the other rider didn't let you tempt him into riding beyond his ability. One point for him!

Also, blasting by a newbie who might be a little wobbly already might not be the smartest thing on earth. And if was experienced and just dogging it, maybe you forgot to tell him it was a race?

Eric
09-06-2007, 03:04 PM
"One good thing is that the other rider didn't let you tempt him into riding beyond his ability. One point for him!"

Amen.

"Also, blasting by a newbie who might be a little wobbly already might not be the smartest thing on earth. And if was experienced and just dogging it, maybe you forgot to tell him it was a race?"

In this case, he didn't move over; instead, he chose the "fast" line (and lane)... he was definitely trying. I think he just figured his bike was so much better (it was) that he could beat me. But as Dave pointed out, it's not always the bike that matters! (And again: I've experienced the other side of that equation myself! It is a humbling experience. Just when you think you're "fast."....!)

chiph
09-06-2007, 06:10 PM
You should start looking for posts on some of the Kaw forums about how some guy trashed his headers while trying to get past him up the mountain.
:-)

Chip H.

Eric
09-06-2007, 06:30 PM
You should start looking for posts on some of the Kaw forums about how some guy trashed his headers while trying to get past him up the mountain.

Chip H.

I like to think of them as "burnished" rather than "trashed'!

mrblanche
09-06-2007, 11:07 PM

Chip H.

I guess the good news is that most riders would rather be riding than typing!

Eric
09-07-2007, 07:01 AM

Chip H.

I guess the good news is that most riders would rather be riding than typing!

..and some "battle scars" give an old bike character!