PDA

View Full Version : GPS FIGHTS SPEEDING TICKET

Valentine One Radar Detector

gail
10-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Here is an interesting story about fighting a speeding ticket by presenting evidence gathered by a GPS. I would be interested in what others think the success will be.

"All GPS systems installed in vehicles calculate speed and location, but the tracking device in Malone's 2000 Toyota Celica GTS downloads the information to his parent's computer.

The family says, based on the data, that Malone was going the posted speed limit of 45 mph on Lakeville Highway the morning of July 4 at virtually the same time and location where a Petaluma motorcycle officer used radar to cite the teen for going 62 mph."

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/article/20071002/NEWS/710020308/1033/NEWS01

Eric
10-06-2007, 07:16 AM
I think it's great - as far as it goes.

But for me, the larger issue is the prevalence of under-posted speed limits - which put most of us into the "speeder" category as a matter of a law almost every moment we're behind the wheel - and thus, subject to ticketing at almost any time.

Enforcement of unfair/stupid laws is a bad thing. But unfair/stupid laws are worse!

gail
10-07-2007, 10:22 PM

But for me, the larger issue is the prevalence of under-posted speed limits - which put most of us into the "speeder" category as a matter of a law almost every moment we're behind the wheel - and thus, subject to ticketing at almost any time.

Enforcement of unfair/stupid laws is a bad thing. But unfair/stupid laws are worse!

You'll get no argument from me on this issue. Bad laws are bad laws - any way you look at it. In the meantime we have to keep clogging up the system so that they will be inspired to change some of the bad laws.

Eric
10-08-2007, 06:38 AM

You'll get no argument from me on this issue. Bad laws are bad laws - any way you look at it. In the meantime we have to keep clogging up the system so that they will be inspired to change some of the bad laws.

It's been years since I've had one, but because of the ever-more-oppressive environment (esp. in VA) I have decided to arm myself with a Valentine One radar detector.

The $399 is cheaper by far than a single "reckless driving" ticket....

gail
10-08-2007, 01:47 PM

It's been years since I've had one, but because of the ever-more-oppressive environment (esp. in VA) I have decided to arm myself with a Valentine One radar detector.

I would like to own one too. They are sold through the NMA web site. I plan to get one in the near future, probably right after I get another ticket. I am feeling invincible now though, as it has been 15 years since I've received a ticket. It is as if I can do no wrong on the highway. :P

Eric
10-08-2007, 02:59 PM

I would like to own one too. They are sold through the NMA web site. I plan to get one in the near future, probably right after I get another ticket. I am feeling invincible now though, as it has been 15 years since I've received a ticket. It is as if I can do no wrong on the highway. :P

I'm about "due."

And given the prospect of a $1,000-plus "reckless driving" fine, it seems like a sound investment... I drive over 80 mph routinely; and in VA, that is an automatic "reckless" ticket - even on a highway with a 65 mph speed limit. >:(

chiph
10-08-2007, 04:01 PM

If Valentine won't ship to VA (because of the law), you can use my address. I'll smuggle it across the state line to you. :)

Chip H.

Eric
10-08-2007, 04:43 PM

If Valentine won't ship to VA (because of the law), you can use my address. I'll smuggle it across the state line to you. :)

Chip H.

Very cool - thanks!

gail
10-08-2007, 11:55 PM

Chip H.

I did have my non-detectable radar detector installed out of that area. However, when I went for the inspection it was never mentioned or seemingly noticed.

chiph
10-27-2007, 06:06 PM
The GPS story has hit Slashdot and ArsTechnica:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/27/1643246

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071026-accused-speeder-to-cops-my-gps-proves-your-radar-gun-is-wrong.html

Chip H.

l3it3r
12-10-2007, 02:47 PM
I got a Reckless on 495 a year ago in Tysons Corner. I passed a car in the 'passing lane', I guess I 'kissed' 90MPH. Traffic was flowing at a steady 75-80MPH already, and I needed to get over 3 lanes for an exit. I was on the way to the hospital where my wife was undergoing emergency surgery. No BS. I saw the cop on the side of the road put his car into gear (brake lights came on, reverse lights flashed for a split second) and I simply pulled over, he didn't even get a chance to put his lights on. He gave me a 90 in a 65, which in VA is good for 30 days in jail, and up to a $10,000,000,000,000,000 fine. ::) I pleaded with him to be understanding, but the guy didn't want to hear a word of my explanation. Got a great lawyer (PM/Email me for his name and number, has helped me and a couple buddies) who has an office literally 50 steps from the courthouse, and went to court. Got a continuance the first time. Went back, had jail time dropped, lost my license for 30days and paid a $250 fine + court costs. handed in my license, Paid the Lawyer $500, and got to drive directly home. My wife drove me around for 30days (and it was AWESOME - drank every where we went for dinner!!) and I went back to the courthouse to get my DL. Three days later my insurance DROPPED $14/month for both of my cars. I can't get a ticket until after feb 1st, or I goto jail for 30days if found guilty.

I'm glad I didn't have to deal with the BS 'civil penalties' that some of the people I know have gotten. People that drive like assholes need to get more attention than people that are just trying to get over a lane. In a no BS, completely honest way, I was going that fast for about 5-10 seconds, and it almost ruined what I've got going right now.. jail time for me = loss of job, selling my house, and who knows whatelse. It's ridiculous that 10MPH faster than the rest of traffic can be made to look as horrible as they made it look for me.

The judge was very happy that day, thankfully, or I'd be in a totally different situation right now.

Eric
12-10-2007, 04:25 PM
I got a Reckless on 495 a year ago in Tysons Corner. I passed a car in the 'passing lane', I guess I 'kissed' 90MPH. Traffic was flowing at a steady 75-80MPH already, and I needed to get over 3 lanes for an exit. I was on the way to the hospital where my wife was undergoing emergency surgery. No BS. I saw the cop on the side of the road put his car into gear (brake lights came on, reverse lights flashed for a split second) and I simply pulled over, he didn't even get a chance to put his lights on. He gave me a 90 in a 65, which in VA is good for 30 days in jail, and up to a $10,000,000,000,000,000 fine. ::) I pleaded with him to be understanding, but the guy didn't want to hear a word of my explanation. Got a great lawyer (PM/Email me for his name and number, has helped me and a couple buddies) who has an office literally 50 steps from the courthouse, and went to court. Got a continuance the first time. Went back, had jail time dropped, lost my license for 30days and paid a $250 fine + court costs. handed in my license, Paid the Lawyer $500, and got to drive directly home. My wife drove me around for 30days (and it was AWESOME - drank every where we went for dinner!!) and I went back to the courthouse to get my DL. Three days later my insurance DROPPED $14/month for both of my cars. I can't get a ticket until after feb 1st, or I goto jail for 30days if found guilty.

I'm glad I didn't have to deal with the BS 'civil penalties' that some of the people I know have gotten. People that drive like assholes need to get more attention than people that are just trying to get over a lane. In a no BS, completely honest way, I was going that fast for about 5-10 seconds, and it almost ruined what I've got going right now.. jail time for me = loss of job, selling my house, and who knows whatelse. It's ridiculous that 10MPH faster than the rest of traffic can be made to look as horrible as they made it look for me.

The judge was very happy that day, thankfully, or I'd be in a totally different situation right now.

I feel your pain - this sucks. And it's grossly, egregiously unfair.

I have been there a couple of times myself - esp. "back in the day" when the highway limit was 55 and 76 mph brought you a "reckless driving" beef (can you believe that?)

Things are way out of hand in VA - the "abuser" fees being Exhibit A.

I agree reckless/inept drivers should be dealt with - but that's not what's happening. People are being crucified over trumped-up offenses that are often at best "technical fouls" that have little, if anything, to do with safe driving as such.

A few monthsback, incidentally, I had to shake a cop after I passed him doing 80-something on the rural road near where I live (posted 55). I was on my bike, so it was nothing to put a mile or three between us and just... disappear. A year ago, I might have stopped. Today - with the BS "fines" and so on - there is every incentive to just go for it, if the odds are in your favor. I did. And would again!

l3it3r
12-11-2007, 12:27 PM
I have had two red/blue dots in my rear and falling before.. when you're able to accelorate to 160mph in a mile, and were clocked a little over 100, you better be able to take advantage of the incredible stopping distance at the next available exit ;)

Not proud, but I'm still driving, right?

Eric
12-11-2007, 01:43 PM
I have had two red/blue dots in my rear and falling before.. when you're able to accelorate to 160mph in a mile, and were clocked a little over 100, you better be able to take advantage of the incredible stopping distance at the next available exit ;)

Not proud, but I'm still driving, right?

I hear that; same deal.

And I think (among many other problems) that these "abuser" fees are going to push a lot of people to do just that - because there's a decent chance you'll get away and stopping can mean a job-ending/life-altering experience.

It fries me that a dick who jacks someone with a gun will end up facing less in the way of meaningful punishment than an otherwise law-abiding, employed/not-violent regular dude who just got nailed driving faster than "x" - an arbitrary number pulled right out of some politician's ass.

I am grateful I live in a rural area, have a fast bike - and know the back roads! ;D