PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Harley-Davidson FXD DYNA Super Glide ? Rekindling Motorcycling?s Roots

Valentine One Radar Detector

Disco Man
10-16-2007, 02:58 AM
http://www.ericpetersautos.com/home/images/stories/2wheels/08h-fxd-s.jpg

2008 Harley-Davidson FXD DYNA Super Glide ? Rekindling Motorcycling?s Roots

By Pete Dunton

http://www.ericpetersautos.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=168&Itemid=10780

Anyone who has been on U.S. highways, byways, and roads in the last few years can?t deny that Harley-Davidson motorcycles have become very popular. It?s not just the traditional motorcycle tough guys who are riding them but everyone from yuppies to retired executives and even women are now partaking in the enjoyment of riding these two wheel works of art. Harley-Davidson has come a long way since its low point years ago when it was almost strangled under the ownership of AMF ? a sporting goods company. With its renewed popularity in the last few years Harley-Davidson has thrived, and part of this success is offering a whole range of different bikes to fit their customers? diverse wants and needs. Harley-Davidson continues to offer a wide array of different models to choose from, for 2008.

With all the modern motorcycle innovations, it seems that there is almost no limit to what these machines can do. However the more bells and whistles on a bike the easier it is to forget what motorcycling is all about ? the sheer fun of riding. Harley-Davidson?s 2008 FXD Dyna Super Glide is the fix for this problem. It?s a bike that has all the classic lines for which a Harley is known and everything you will need for a great riding experience, but none of the other distractions that are all too common on modern bikes. The FXD Dyna Super Glide is like a pair of very reliable blue jeans that never goes out of style. This does not mean the FXD is an outdated bike ? quite the contrary it takes the best from the past and integrates it with the technology of today.

The FXD has a standard air-cooled 1584cc twin cam 96 engine with ESPFI (Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injected), a carbon fiber drive belt, and a 6-speed cruise-drive transmission. The Twin Cam 96 has a bore and stroke of 3.75 x 4.38 in. and a 9.2:1 compression ratio. These help it to produce a remarkable 92 lbs/ft of torque at a fairly low 3,000 rpm, which is just what you want on a cruising bike.

Standard 4-piston single disc front and rear brakes that include braided brake lines are there to put the FXD to a quick stop. Harley fans will also not be disappointed because the familiar Harley exhaust sound is alive and well on this bike. Its staggered chrome exhaust with shorty dual mufflers has that traditional deep rumble sound to bring a smile to any motorcycle enthusiast?s face. The instrumentation is simple yet functional, everything a rider needs to know and nothing more, just like the old days. There?s also plenty of chrome and shiny metal pieces including a new redesigned engine air cleaner cover on the FXD, to remind even the most neophyte that this is a Harley.

With a Harley-Davidson suggested retail price of $11,995.00, the 2008 FXD Dyna Super Glide offers a lot of Harley tradition and new technology for the money. It?s the perfect bike for any motorcyclist wanting to experience motorcycling?s roots.

mrblanche
10-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Seen the new Harley Davidsons? They look just like a motorcycle, except with a Ford F250 under them.

Eric
10-16-2007, 08:31 AM
I like a few older Harleys; the new ones are not bad bikes - but to me, they all look they same (very much like the "UJM" Japanese bikes of the late '70s/early '80s). The one exception is the V-Rod. But the proportions of the bike are ruined by having a rider on it. I have yet to see one being ridden that doesn't look wrong somehow. As art, great - but it just doesn't fit the human form.

But the larger issue (for me) with Harleys is that they have become the signature posuer bike of our times. 20 years ago, real bikers rode Harleys; today, it's middle-aged stockbrokers with pleated "leathers" and machine-"aged" bandanas trying to be cool. Many of these guys are terrible riders, too. They can't hold a curve, wander over the centerline - or put-put along at 10 mph under the limit, oblivious to everyone behind them.

mrblanche
10-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Harley has made great strides in recent years, since the AMF debacle and the requirement of protection from competition by Congress. But they're still overpriced and under-engineered.

Eric
10-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Harley has made great strides in recent years, since the AMF debacle and the requirement of protection from competition by Congress. But they're still overpriced and under-engineered.

Agreed.

Now, Buell is doing some really fine work.. have you seen his latest sport bike?

Disco Man
10-16-2007, 12:47 PM
I like a few older Harleys; the new ones are not bad bikes - but to me, they all look they same (very much like the "UJM" Japanese bikes of the late '70s/early '80s). The one exception is the V-Rod. But the proportions of the bike are ruined by having a rider on it. I have yet to see one being ridden that doesn't look wrong somehow. As art, great - but it just doesn't fit the human form.

But the larger issue (for me) with Harleys is that they have become the signature posuer bike of our times. 20 years ago, real bikers rode Harleys; today, it's middle-aged stockbrokers with pleated "leathers" and machine-"aged" bandanas trying to be cool. Many of these guys are terrible riders, too. They can't hold a curve, wander over the centerline - or put-put along at 10 mph under the limit, oblivious to everyone behind them.

I agree there are far too many inexperienced riders who are buying these bikes. One of the main appeals of the Harley, that it is a very comfortable cruising bike, you can ride it for hours when compared to the new sport bikes which after a 30 minutes ride the back and other parts of the body are sore.

mrblanche,

I think Harley has kept up well with the technology - afterall there is no drive chain or carburetors on the FXD. If Harley-Davidson where to go the route of a total sport bike and high technology they would lose all their customer base over night. That is why Harley-Davidson owns Buell motor cycles which is their subsidary that appeals to the crowd that wants a very fast and good looking sport bike.

Eric,

I think Buell has a winning lineup. Are you referring to the 1125R?

Eric
10-16-2007, 01:21 PM
"One of the main appeals of the Harley, that it is a very comfortable cruising bike, you can ride it for hours when compared to the new sport bikes which after a 30 minutes ride the back and other parts of the body are sore."

That's true for some - but not all - sport bikes. My ZRX1200, for example, is quite comfortable and has good "ergos." So does the Yamaha FZ-1; you do lose a bit of cornering clearance with the stock footpeg location - but that can be fixed easily with adjustable rearsets.

What I don't like about Harleys (and their Japanese equivalents) is they are very heavy and don't handle or brake well - at least, not compared with the incredible handling/braking of a sport bike.

For someone younger, athletic/in-shape such as yourself, a sport bike would not be tortuous to ride; but for a heavy/out-of-shape person, they are very unpleasant. This is one reason why it's rare to see a fat older guy on a sport bike - and why you see so many fat (and older) guys on cruiser bikes!

They're both riders - but their worlds are totally different...

mrblanche
10-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Now, Buell is doing some really fine work.. have you seen his latest sport bike?

Yes. And they're water-cooled.

Disco Man
10-17-2007, 03:21 PM
What I don't like about Harleys (and their Japanese equivalents) is they are very heavy and don't handle or brake well - at least, not compared with the incredible handling/braking of a sport bike.

For someone younger, athletic/in-shape such as yourself, a sport bike would not be tortuous to ride; but for a heavy/out-of-shape person, they are very unpleasant. This is one reason why it's rare to see a fat older guy on a sport bike - and why you see so many fat (and older) guys on cruiser bikes!

They're both riders - but their worlds are totally different...

Very true, and one thing I notice is that the seating postions on the newer sport bikes are more comfortable than the older ones. For instance some of the sport bikes from the late 1980s and early 1990s the seating postion was so bad you felt like you were lying on the gas take when riding them.