PDA

View Full Version : Saw an awful wreck today....

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
10-21-2007, 06:27 PM
I just got back from a drive in my Trans-Am; wanted to run her for about half and hour and fill up the tank with fresh gas... so I drove into town from our place, about 15 miles down the road. Got the gas at the Exxon station and did the "loop" around our town's sole traffic light, which if you make a right takes you back around the courthouse and to a stop sign - where if you go left you'll be headed back the way you came.

In front of me, at the stop sign, also signaling to go left, was a Jeep Cherokee. I saw a large cruiser bike coming down the road we were both looking to turn left onto. Only the Jeep's driver did not see the bike... she (old lady, it turns out) pulled right out into the intersection and into the bike... awful bone crushing impact ensued. The rider and his wife were thrown into the air, then rolled a few times until they came to a rest in the middle of the road.

I put on my flashers and got out to see what I could do; a couple of other cars stopped also - and they called the cops (who are in the courthouse just around the corner). The guy was badly hurt; his right leg was bent in ways that looked really wrong - and it had swollen up to twice the size of his other leg. I'd say he had at least a compound fracture of his upper leg bone; his wife was screaming in pain and had injuries to her torso, legs and arms. Both riders were wearing long pants and had helmets and jackets on - but in this case, I don't think it mattered much.

It's a beautiful day here - but man, I feel bad for that couple... they did nothing wrong; the old (70s?) woman just pulled right in front of them like they weren't even there.... :-[

chiph
10-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Oh man, that's awful.
Did the paramedics get them transported to the hospital OK?

And it's usually how motorcyclists get hit -- a car turns out in front of them.

Chip H.

Disco Man
10-21-2007, 08:26 PM
That's terrible I hope they both come out of the ordeal allright. Fortunately it sounds like the couple did not go unconscious and they were going to survive the wreck. This is why I don't think I'll ever own a bike. I have known too many people involved in bike wrecks over the years. When somebody bumps or hits you while your driving a car you usually don't have any injuries (unless it is high speed), being bumped or hit in a motorcycle its usually terrible injuries or death. Talk to some cops who see a lot of bad wrecks they will attest to how bad these motorcycle wrecks are. There are just too many car drivers not paying attention - talking on there cell phones and doing other things. Its scary.

mrblanche
10-21-2007, 08:56 PM
There is an advertisement from the UK about watching for motorcycles that shows just how easy it is to make this mistake.

Eric
10-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Oh man, that's awful.
Did the paramedics get them transported to the hospital OK?

And it's usually how motorcyclists get hit -- a car turns out in front of them.

Chip H.

Luckily, this happened right in town; the police station and EMT/rescue were less than a mile away. They got there in minutes. After I spoke with the Trooper and told him what I saw, etc., I decided to stay out of the way and went home. I am sure our local paper will have some details and I will post them later this week...

mrblanche
10-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Did you give them your contact info? It could mean the difference between a nice settlement for the motorcyclists, and a long drawn-out legal battle for them.

There's nothing like seeing a serious accident to put the damper on a nice day.

Eric
10-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Did you give them your contact info? It could mean the difference between a nice settlement for the motorcyclists, and a long drawn-out legal battle for them.

There's nothing like seeing a serious accident to put the damper on a nice day.

I am kickingmyself for this...

When the Trooper and EMTs arrived, I went over to the Trooper and told him I was right there when it happened and saw the accident - and that the old woman had just pulled right out in front of the cycle. I asked if he wanted my name/phone number - and he said no, it wasn't necessary - that it was "pretty obvious" what had happened. As things appeared to be under control - and there was nothing more I could do - I then got in my car and drove home. But on the way, I got to thinking that I probably should have jotted my info down on a piece of paper and given it to someone (not the couple; they were in shock and not able to speak; but maybe an EMT?) for just the reason you mention.

The good news is I am certain our local paper will have a story on the wreck - and will include the names of the people involved. This will help me to contact them, which I plan to do.

My sense of it is that the couple faces a long period of recovery - and possibly permament disability. I'd like to see the old woman's license pulled. I'm sure she is a nice person - and I know she didn't do anything maliciously - but she's also clearly a menace and ought to be being driven, not driving.

mrblanche
10-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Well, the reason these things are called ACCIDENTS is that that is what they are. They usually require two mistakes to happen; one by the person who is actually the cause, and one by someone else who failed to foresee that it COULD happen. There isn't always a second mistake, but often there is.

You wouldn't want your license yanked if you messed up, and I sure wouldn't want mine pulled. Heaven knows I make mistakes every day, and sometimes I'm saved just because someone else was alert.

However, you could go down to the police station (or even call them) and give them your number. This is just a backup, in case the lady claims they were going 100 mph or suddenly darted out of a parking space or something. And believe me, she may well make that kind of claim, because, as you say, she's probably a nice, responsible lady and can't imagine that she messed up that badly.

mrblanche
10-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Have you heard anything further on this accident, such as the outcome for the victims?

Eric
10-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Have you heard anything further on this accident, such as the outcome for the victims?

The paper (Floyd Press) comes out tomorrow... I am bettting there will be a story about it and will post any info I find...

DonTom
10-24-2007, 05:46 PM
When Tom and I were in Vancouver Canada, on 9-8-01 (we came back in the USA just before 9-11-01) at the RV park we stayed at (Peace Arch RV Park) we saw the following happen:

A large pick up truck was towing a utility trailer with a backhoe, waiting for traffic to clear in the lane going the opposite direction so it could turn left into the RV park.

A motorcycle, well behind the pickup truck saw the pickup start to turn left, and then went about 150 KMPH (or about 100 MPH) expecting the pickup to clear, not realizing he was towing. The motorcyclist hit the "toad" at that speed. Not much left of him or the cycle. He may have still been alive when the ambulance picked him up, but I doubt if he survived.

-Don- (Reno)

Disco Man
10-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Don,

Sounds like a pretty horrific accident. It proves the point that you always assume that there could be something behind a vehicle (a trailer or another car) if you can't see 100% of a given area, and never take chances. He should have taken it easy and assumed something was behind the truck, he would still be alive. I saw a guy on a sport bike a few months back on a major interstate in my area in heavy traffic moving along at around 60 mph, suddenly weave from the far left lane to the far right lane (moved over 4 lanes) in about 2 seconds. He came within a foot of hitting his rear tire on one driver's front bumper who was driving in one of the center lanes. The guy on the motorcycle, I believe did not realized how close he cut it. If he had not cleared the bumper he would have been dead, since he would have been a human speedbump. He did this crazy maneuver to because he was in a big hurray.

Some of these young guys on the cycles (especially sport bikes) are crazy, they take unnecessary risks.

DonTom
10-25-2007, 05:59 PM
"Sounds like a pretty horrific accident. "

Yep.

I forgot to mention that the cycle could not see the "toad" because there were vehicles waiting behind the toad. It's best to always assume everybody is towing in such situations.

What I have to watch for here in NV is what is NOT legal in CA. Towing TWO trailers (often with a lot of space between them). Here, it would be very easy to see a truck on the next lane, change lanes after the first toad passes and get wiped out by the unexpected second toad on the same truck, especially if at night.

-Don- (in 70 degrees F. Reno)