PDA

View Full Version : VW developments

Valentine One Radar Detector

misterdecibel
11-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Today when I got in my '07 VW GTI MkV to go to work, I got a surprise "Low Tire Pressure" warning.

This time of year, low tire pressure is not a surprise, but the warning was, because I didn't know my car had the TPMS. It's not listed on list of options on the window sticker.

And I got my first factory recall notice in the mail today too. Something about caps on the headlight adjustment screws.

Eric
11-09-2007, 06:39 AM
Today when I got in my '07 VW GTI MkV to go to work, I got a surprise "Low Tire Pressure" warning.

This time of year, low tire pressure is not a surprise, but the warning was, because I didn't know my car had the TPMS. It's not listed on list of options on the window sticker.

And I got my first factory recall notice in the mail today too. Something about caps on the headlight adjustment screws.

Tire pressure monitors are now pretty much standard equipment across the industry....

misterdecibel
11-09-2007, 01:24 PM
My tires were all 10 psi low, 25 instead of 35.

robmcg
11-09-2007, 04:57 PM
My tires were all 10 psi low, 25 instead of 35.

At least they were even,

who tests the tires? Who fits them?
Who caibrates the gauge?
Were temps set hot warm or cold?

Dealers err on the side of low pressure. 35lbs is not ideal in a new car; it's your choice to pump them up to feel sharper steering and harder ride. How long had the car been standing? You expect dealers to check every car in a yard daily?

Manufactuers put about 25-30lbs in,

misterdecibel
11-16-2007, 03:37 AM
Tonight the nag screen flashed and a dinger dinged because the outside temperature dropped below 40 degrees as I drove home from work.

mrblanche
11-16-2007, 06:16 AM
I had that on my Volvo truck, too.

Eric
11-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Tonight the nag screen flashed and a dinger dinged because the outside temperature dropped below 40 degrees as I drove home from work.

Yes - that's the "ice" warning; I am pretty sure you can either turn it off - or alter the temp. at which it chimes....

mrblanche
11-16-2007, 09:39 PM

Yes - that's the "ice" warning; I am pretty sure you can either turn it off - or alter the temp. at which it chimes....

Not mine.

MikeHalloran
11-16-2007, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't. Black ice is a nasty surprise.

misterdecibel
11-17-2007, 03:59 AM
I wouldn't. Black ice is a nasty surprise.

This car doesn't have any sort of black ice detector. It's just a warning that goes with the outside temperature.

mrblanche
11-17-2007, 06:17 AM
This car doesn't have any sort of black ice detector. It's just a warning that goes with the outside temperature.

And the theory is that "black ice" often forms when the air temp is the the 38-34 degree range, so you need to be warned.

Eric
11-17-2007, 06:46 AM

And the theory is that "black ice" often forms when the air temp is the the 38-34 degree range, so you need to be warned.

I don't disagree - but the profusion of bells and buzzers that assault drivers today is becoming a real annoyance....

misterdecibel
11-17-2007, 02:52 PM

In this part of the country I have never once seen road icing at above-freezing temperatures.

chiph
11-17-2007, 05:48 PM
What about bridges & overpasses?

Chip H.

misterdecibel
11-17-2007, 06:23 PM

Chip H.

Not until it drops below 32. And even then, I've never seen icing without precipitation.

mrblanche
11-17-2007, 06:44 PM
In this part of the country I have never once seen road icing at above-freezing temperatures.

And yet, in your area, I HAVE. Part of it is in having to be out in it all the time.

Many drivers have a better indicator--a short shoe string tied to the mirror. If it gets stiff, it's freezing, whatever the temperature might be.

The worst ice storms start at about 37 degrees air temperature, and go down to about 28. After that, it's not so bad.

misterdecibel
11-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Agree that ice storms usually happen within a couple of degrees either way of freezing. Below that and it becomes a snow storm.

mrblanche
11-18-2007, 08:57 AM
I once heard a meteorologist say tha Kansas City has more days of ice storms than any other city in the U.S. He said it just had to do with the normal wind flow, moisture flow, etc.

I've seen terrible storms, with huge numbers of accidents, on roads so slick you couldn't even walk on them.

D_E_Davis
11-18-2007, 10:15 AM

Not until it drops below 32. And even then, I've never seen icing without precipitation.

You want to be careful with that. Around here in the desert low spots, such as washes, can be several degrees colder than the official "airport" temperature, and so the bridges/overpasses can and do freeze when the weather bureau sez it never got down to 32.

misterdecibel
11-18-2007, 12:42 PM
I once heard a meteorologist say tha Kansas City has more days of ice storms than any other city in the U.S. He said it just had to do with the normal wind flow, moisture flow, etc.

I've seen terrible storms, with huge numbers of accidents, on roads so slick you couldn't even walk on them.

It may not look like much of a difference on the map, but Kansas City and Little Rock have very different winter conditions.

DonTom
11-24-2007, 08:18 AM
Black Ice is very common in the mountains this time of year between my two houses (between SF and Reno) on highway 80 during the night when we often travel. And there are many bridges / overpasses with the warning "bridge may have ice when road does not" or something like that.

To learn a bit about black ice see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_ice

-Don-

mrblanche
11-24-2007, 09:58 PM
We are currently under almost ideal conditions for an ice storm. A light, steady mist, and temps falling into the upper 30's right now.

However, a meteorologist (the same one who told me about KC) said that the difference between freezing and not freezing is a lot of energy lost, and often you'll see the mist stop just as the temperature gets low enough for it to freeze.

misterdecibel
11-25-2007, 03:01 AM
39 and drizzle here right now.

Last night, sometime around 4 or 5 AM, I was awakened by the sound of sleet. There was no accumulation though.

mrblanche
11-25-2007, 08:36 AM
Well, I guess it never got QUITE cold enough last night. It was 38 degrees all night, from what I can tell.

Eric
11-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Well, I guess it never got QUITE cold enough last night. It was 38 degrees all night, from what I can tell.

We had mid-low 20s the other night... wood stove's ablaze, though and we're keeping warm!

misterdecibel
12-13-2007, 12:11 PM
I rolled over 4900 miles on Monday, so I called up the dealer to schedule my 5000-mile checkup and oil change, which will happen this Monday. So far, no QC issues with squeeks, rattles, or electrics.

Eric
12-14-2007, 06:56 AM
I rolled over 4900 miles on Monday, so I called up the dealer to schedule my 5000-mile checkup and oil change, which will happen this Monday. So far, no QC issues with squeeks, rattles, or electrics.

Then so far, so good!

VW has - supposedly - cleaned itself up over the past 2-3 years; previously, they'd let quality control slip a bit....