PDA

View Full Version : 97 Dakota 3.9L Speed Governor

Valentine One Radar Detector

bikerlbf406
01-13-2008, 08:04 AM
The other day I decided to take my 97 Dakota with the stock 3.9L Magnum V6 and open it up all the way to see what it would do. I was capable of reaching 100 MPH with no problem. However it would not go passed that & after staying at that speed for even a couple minutes it would gradually decrease, even with the pedal to the floor. Therefore it is appearant that the truck's governer is set to limit it to 100mph. I know the speedometer will go up to 120mph. My questions are; how can I remove or disable the governor on it? Also what is the maximum speed the stock 3.9L Magnum would be capable of reaching without a governor & without risking engine damage. I am fully aware that speeds higher than 65mph are illegal anywhere in the state I live in; along with I am also aware of what consequences high speeds can cause as far as accidents & all. Also fully aware that I should not exceed the speed rating of the tires. The likely hood of ever needing to do over 100mph is very slim; however since I do run rescue calls & at time must do high rate of speeds in the truck; it would be nice to be capable of doing past 100mph without expensive modifications.

Eric
01-13-2008, 08:28 AM
The usual deal is the computer sets/limits top end in accordance with the speed rating of the tires the vehicle came with from the factory. To alter this, you'll need to "re-chip" the ECM; Damen and Chris (our resident tuners/electronic gurus) should be able to help here... guys?

I would recommend you get tires rated for the highest speed you intend to travel, by the way - and make sure they're all in good shape and inflated to the right psi.

Trucks don't generally handle so good at triple digits speeds; so be careful!

The other day I decided to take my 97 Dakota with the stock 3.9L Magnum V6 and open it up all the way to see what it would do. I was capable of reaching 100 MPH with no problem. However it would not go passed that & after staying at that speed for even a couple minutes it would gradually decrease, even with the pedal to the floor. Therefore it is appearant that the truck's governer is set to limit it to 100mph. I know the speedometer will go up to 120mph. My questions are; how can I remove or disable the governor on it? Also what is the maximum speed the stock 3.9L Magnum would be capable of reaching without a governor & without risking engine damage. I am fully aware that speeds higher than 65mph are illegal anywhere in the state I live in; along with I am also aware of what consequences high speeds can cause as far as accidents & all. Also fully aware that I should not exceed the speed rating of the tires. The likely hood of ever needing to do over 100mph is very slim; however since I do run rescue calls & at time must do high rate of speeds in the truck; it would be nice to be capable of doing past 100mph without expensive modifications.