PDA

View Full Version : Famous philosophers through history

Valentine One Radar Detector

grouch
01-31-2008, 10:24 PM
We all have something to do with machinery. A lot of this can be traced back to the 17th century philosopher Rene' Descartes. Now, an autombile is quite complex but Descartes mathematical contribution made gears possible. Granted, his famous quote regarding the human existance of "Cogito, Ergo Sum" (I think, therefore I am) made the basic gestalt of the human race easy to understand. Unfortunately, this was also his down fall. One fine day in 1650, Sr. Descartes went into a local bistro (the French equivalent of a truck stop diner) for a bit to eat and to ogle the cute new serving gal. When the waiter asked him if he wanted a menu. Sr. Descartes replied, "I think not" and POOF, he disappeared. ???

(insert groan here)

Eric
02-01-2008, 07:41 AM
We all have something to do with machinery. A lot of this can be traced back to the 17th century philosopher Rene' Descartes. Now, an autombile is quite complex but Descartes mathematical contribution made gears possible. Granted, his famous quote regarding the human existance of "Cogito, Ergo Sum" (I think, therefore I am) made the basic gestalt of the human race easy to understand. Unfortunately, this was also his down fall. One fine day in 1650, Sr. Descartes went into a local bistro (the French equivalent of a truck stop diner) for a bit to eat and to ogle the cute new serving gal. When the waiter asked him if he wanted a menu. Sr. Descartes replied, "I think not" and POOF, he disappeared. ???

(insert groan here)

Perhaps it was his manifold destiny???