PDA

View Full Version : Fog lamps

Valentine One Radar Detector

grouch
02-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Why are fog lamps now made as projector beam lights? They seem to be pretty worthless. To be a fog lamp, you need to have a fluted lens with a flat topped beam so avoid glare off the moisture droplets. In addition, white is useless in fog anyway. If you are driving towards the sun on a foggy morning, your headlights are lost in the white out glare. White fog lamps do no better. About all they are good for is to make a little more profit for the manufacturer and to blind oncoming drivers.

I have an old pair of fog lamps on my truck and they go from vehicle to vehicle since they work so well. During a heavy snow, the yellow lens showed up contrast in the snow plowed to the side of the road and in white out conditions, they show up as two yellow dots to show I'm there.

Eric
02-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Why are fog lamps now made as projector beam lights? They seem to be pretty worthless. To be a fog lamp, you need to have a fluted lens with a flat topped beam so avoid glare off the moisture droplets. In addition, white is useless in fog anyway. If you are driving towards the sun on a foggy morning, your headlights are lost in the white out glare. White fog lamps do no better. About all they are good for is to make a little more profit for the manufacturer and to blind oncoming drivers.

I have an old pair of fog lamps on my truck and they go from vehicle to vehicle since they work so well. During a heavy snow, the yellow lens showed up contrast in the snow plowed to the side of the road and in white out conditions, they show up as two yellow dots to show I'm there.

I've wondered about this also. And - to a great extent - the "driving lights" provide scant additional illumination; they seem to be there soley for looks.

Land Rovers have proper fog lamps...