PDA

View Full Version : Spotted a Boss Hoss 502 yesterday

Valentine One Radar Detector

Disco Man
02-29-2008, 11:16 AM
I spotted a Boss Hoss (big block) 502 yesterday (stopped next to me at a stop light). I have seen the small block V8 powered Boss Hoss before but never the big block. The things are monsters, must handle like a 747. However the exhaust note was wonderful, that big block V8 rumble was a joy to hear. Anyone ever ride one of these 502 Boss Hoss bikes?

Ken
02-29-2008, 12:08 PM
I spotted a Boss Hoss (big block) 502 yesterday (stopped next to me at a stop light). I have seen the small block V8 powered Boss Hoss before but never the big block. The things are monsters, must handle like a 747. However the exhaust note was wonderful, that big block V8 rumble was a joy to hear. Anyone ever ride one of these 502 Boss Hoss bikes?

Couple of pics to gladden your heart then Pete. A 502 - 502ci, 502 bhp and 640 lbs of torque, in red and a 606 - 606 ci, 640 bhp and a whopping 700 lbs of torque, in er, er, some other colours.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/lineskenandi/Misc%20Pictures/502Hoss.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/lineskenandi/Misc%20Pictures/606Hoss.jpg

Dream on, dream on.
Ken.

Eric
03-03-2008, 06:56 AM

I'd be scared to. Even the small block.

Well, maybe I'd ride one .. but I'd never want to own one.

These are "fat old man" bikes - absolutely terrible, arguably dangerous handling (imagine the weight transfer leaning into a corner) and they're not even that quick (mainly because it is impossible to make use of that kind of torque/power in a motorcycle chassis). I don't think any of these are capable of more than 10 second quarters - and any stock 1,000 cc modern sport bike will do that.

Why bother?

Ken
03-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Well, maybe I'd ride one .. but I'd never want to own one.

These are "fat old man" bikes - absolutely terrible, arguably dangerous handling (imagine the weight transfer leaning into a corner) and they're not even that quick (mainly because it is impossible to make use of that kind of torque/power in a motorcycle chassis). I don't think any of these are capable of more than 10 second quarters - and any stock 1,000 cc modern sport bike will do that.

Why bother?

May be not all that quick in bike terms, although I have seen a (poor quality) video of one giving a ZX12R a fair run for its money, even though it did waste a lot of time with excessive wheel spin at the start. Here's a little video of a Boss Hoss 'Munster Bike' pulverising 'Eine Neu' Ferrari though.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=83C73A9317363161
Ken.

Eric
03-05-2008, 09:11 AM
"May be not all that quick in bike terms, although I have seen a (poor quality) video of one giving a ZX12R a fair run for its money, even though it did waste a lot of time with excessive wheel spin at the start. Here's a little video of a Boss Hoss 'Munster Bike' pulverising 'Eine Neu' Ferrari though."

Sure, but how about a curve? That Boss Hoss would have zero chance of keeping up with even a Ninja 250 on the twisties.... a ZX10 or CBR or R1 would walk away from it....

And those bikes cost what, $10K or so...?

Ken
03-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Sure, but how about a curve? That Boss Hoss would have zero chance of keeping up with even a Ninja 250 on the twisties.... a ZX10 or CBR or R1 would walk away from it....

Who mentioned curves???? This is a Boss Hoss we are talking about. :P I was surprised at just how small a turning circle they require to do a 180, but this is one ponderous beast. I think that 'Drag' and 'Pose' is more in its line. ;)

Ken.

Eric
03-05-2008, 12:26 PM

Who mentioned curves???? This is a Boss Hoss we are talking about. :P I was surprised at just how small a turning circle they require to do a 180, but this is one ponderous beast. I think that 'Drag' and 'Pose' is more in its line. ;)

Ken.

Yep!

Which, to me, translates into "fat old man's bike."

There are exceptions, but the profile of the cruiser rider is the above - and the flip side of the coin is that you rarely see fat old guys on sport bikes, for the obvious reasons....!

In any event, the fact that the $30k (and up) Boss Hoss isn't quicker than a stock liter class bike ($10-11k) renders the V-8 utterly pointless. And the rest of the bike is just silly.

It's like walking around with a prosthetic two-foot-long dick hanging out of your trousers. It's all for show - and it looks sad when showing!

dom
11-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Here is a Hoss getting its azz handed. I always thought these things could move. Now I think if someone told a Hoss to haul azz, it would take two trips.

fI_GvCl8ei8

Ken
11-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Here is a Hoss getting its azz handed. I always thought these things could move. Now I think if someone told a Hoss to haul azz, it would take two trips.

I'm assuming that was the Boss Hoss vs the Kawasaki ZX12R video. Sure the BH got its ass whopped, but, is it really fair to comapre two bikes with such totally different purposes in life? The ZX is an out and out road burning, mile munching, fire breathing, dragon of a bike. The Boss Hoss is a, er, is a, um, er .................................. eine posen vagen?

Ken.

dom
11-28-2008, 03:00 PM
You're right it's not a fair comparison. I think the guy on the Hoss did a pretty good job of keeping the bike under control.

Ken
11-28-2008, 03:18 PM
You're right it's not a fair comparison. I think the guy on the Hoss did a pretty good job of keeping the bike under control.

I've seen a few vids of Hosses draggin' and, with all that torque available it just overwhelms the rear tire and the bikes squirm like a worm on a griddle. What I haven't seen yet is one of those riders dropping their bike - seems to me that these guys know a fair amount about bike control and how to 'Boss' their 'Hosses'.

Ken.

dom
11-28-2008, 03:28 PM
That would be a total rush trying to do a hole shot on a Hoss.

Ken
11-28-2008, 04:52 PM
That would be a total rush trying to do a hole shot on a Hoss.

Her's a short video of a Boss Hoss draggin' it in Germany. Doesn't look very dramatic though.

l1kMlhrfcgU

Ken.

dom
11-28-2008, 05:10 PM
The take-offs look like so much fun!