PDA

View Full Version : Harley 'Gray Eagles' team create a diesel cruiser.

Valentine One Radar Detector

Ken
03-17-2008, 02:48 PM
A team of Harley-Davidson engineers, calling themselves the 'Gray Eagles' have created a diesel engined cruiser for use as a military demo machine. Whether it will ever hit the public, who knows, but the military could well be interested. See the video below for a short, albeit not very good quality, demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=16C3EB957C7EC915

Ken.

Eric
03-17-2008, 04:55 PM
It even sounds good!

A diesel seems ideal for cruiser use; gobs of torque and lots of low-speed rumble... but I wonder about the cost.... the diesel dual-sports I've seen (military spec.) cost something like 50 percent more than an otherwise equivalent gas dual sport...

Ken
03-18-2008, 06:57 AM
It even sounds good!

A diesel seems ideal for cruiser use; gobs of torque and lots of low-speed rumble... but I wonder about the cost.... the diesel dual-sports I've seen (military spec.) cost something like 50 percent more than an otherwise equivalent gas dual sport...

I would expect there to be a premium, Eric, but the costs of military procurement bear no relationship to the cost of an identical item for public purchase. Each completed sub-contracted item carries additional cost of inspection on receipt, test and evaluation, climatic testing, purchasing mark up, protective packaging, delivery costs and, usually, an agreed contractor's profit mark up on top. I believe I mentioned once before a 1 spanner that cost 149 to procure and supply for a defence 'Cost Plus' conract. I've worked on many MoD and DoD contracts and they are just a licence to print money.

Ken.

Eric
03-18-2008, 08:03 AM
It even sounds good!

I would expect there to be a premium, Eric, but the costs of military procurement bear no relationship to the cost of an identical item for public purchase. Each completed sub-contracted item carries additional cost of inspection on receipt, test and evaluation, climatic testing, purchasing mark up, protective packaging, delivery costs and, usually, an agreed contractor's profit mark up on top. I believe I mentioned once before a 1 spanner that cost 149 to procure and supply for a defence 'Cost Plus' conract. I've worked on many MoD and DoD contracts and they are just a licence to print money.

Ken.

'Tis true!

Personally, I hope this pans out. I'd also love to see reasonably priced diesel dual sports, especially. I bet they'd be damn near indestructible - and 100 mpg ought to be feasible, too.

DonTom
03-18-2008, 09:18 AM
It sounds much like any other junky Harley!

-Don-

Eric
03-18-2008, 09:23 AM
It sounds much like any other junky Harley!

-Don-

Not my bag, either - but if it results in a 20-30 percent improvement in mileage (without a massive price increase) it could be a good thing.

And I like the idea of a diesel trails bike; for hard-core motocross, a diesel would probably be no good. But for just putting around, it might be very good indeed!

Ken
03-18-2008, 09:33 AM
'Tis true!

Personally, I hope this pans out. I'd also love to see reasonably priced diesel dual sports, especially. I bet they'd be damn near indestructible - and 100 mpg ought to be feasible, too.

Gray Eagles are, I believe, currently claiming 100mph and 80mpg already achieved.

Ken.

Eric
03-18-2008, 09:44 AM
'Tis true!

Gray Eagles are, I believe, currently claiming 100mph and 80mpg already achieved.

Ken.

Good stuff!

100 mph on a big fat cruiser is plenty speedy. And 80 mpg is better than I can get out of my leeetle 250 cc dual sport!