PDA

View Full Version : New toy

Valentine One Radar Detector

grouch
03-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Well, I put a new toy in my driveway Friday. I sold my Shadow ACE to a new rider (after I went out of my way to scare the bejeebers out of him so he'd live longer) and had a few bucks left from the sale of my Lincoln a month or so ago. I had been looking at Porsche's but deal after deal fell through. This car is one I've wanted since I saw one in the movie "Gumball Rally" circa 1978 or '80. I've tried to buy this particular car for about three years. Either I was broke, he wanted too much money or he didn't want to sell. This last week, he was ready to sell and I had money sitting waiting to be spent. ;D

I haven't picked a name for it yet but my new toy is a 1982 Mercedes 380SL roadster. I keep catching myself peeking out into the drive to make sure I really did get it. Black with black interior. It needs exhaust, new seat upholstery and a new top plus a few things have quit working while it sat such as the windows. I don't care. I can do most of the work myself, except for the top, and I'm in no hurry. I've done two convertible tops in my life and that's enough for me.

Disco Man
03-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Grouch,

Nice purchase and great color. Always liked those those SL Mercedes. The SL380 is has a pretty fuel efficient V8 with good acceleration in a beautifully scupted body. These cars will shoot up in value in the near future. I love to get my hands on a SL560 roadster some day.

Eric
03-23-2008, 06:23 AM
This is a pretty machine - congratulations!

I like older Mercedes-Benzes and BMWs; not so much the new ones.

Cars like this one had a high-line elegance about them - but lacked the pushy ostentatiousness of the new models.

swamprat
03-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Will look good with a set of DUBs on it. Just kidding.

Nice car.

Eric
03-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Will look good with a set of DUBs on it. Just kidding.

Nice car.

Not that.. no.... please... anything but that...!

misterdecibel
03-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Do Mercedes convertibles have conventional canvas tops, or a stuffed top like a VW convertible?

grouch
03-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Do Mercedes convertibles have conventional canvas tops, or a stuffed top like a VW convertible?

I haven't had the hardtop off this one yet but the ones I've seen before all had a canvas, sort of, top. I've been looking at a new top and there are three or four materials I can go with.

chiph
03-24-2008, 08:58 AM
My understanding is they have a lined cloth top.

Chip H.