PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Honda CBR 1000 RR

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
03-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Liter-class superbikes have literally become race bikes with plates on them - and the latest generation CBR 1000RR is no exception. Though street legal, it is clearly designed for the track - a focused machine with few, if any, compromises to water the experience down.

To go faster, you need to be more powerful - or lighter. The '08 CBR is both. About 5.5 pounds were dropped from the frame (made of four die-cast main sections, each of them hogged out to keep the pounds down) while the revised DOHC four is also about 5 pounds lighter than before - as well as more compact, due to a new design cylinder head/valvetrain layout.

Another two-plus pounds were shed by going with new-design rims and a revised front brake system - which now uses four less attachment points than before. Honda engineers say this change also improves steering response, in addition toreducing the bike's unsprung mass.

The steering damper is also a new design (it's hidden beneath the fuel tank now) that's more compact and weighs a few ounces less than previously. Equally important, the damper increases triple clamp offset by some 2.5 mm - which gives reduced trail and thus quicker steering response.

Even the battery has been downsized - a change made possible by the addition of a new-design high-torque starter that doesn't require as much juice as before to kick the big four to life.

All told, the new CBR is about 17 pounds lighter than the previous generation CBR l - a huge difference on the street or track.

The '08 CBR's inline four has a service ceiling of 13,000-plus RPM, courtesy of a 1.4 mm shorter stroke. The block doesn't use sleeves - so overall width can be the same, even with increases in displacement. Honda engineers also reconfigured the design/positioning of the cylinder head and cams/valvetrain to lower the center of mass, another MotoGP-inspired tweak to extract every last bit of potential speed and handling from this thing.

Interesting stylistic (and functional) features include a new 4-2-1 exhaust with both electronic and pressure controlled valves to modulate backpressure as you go. The can is a triple chamber design that arches up like an artillery piece just ahead of the rear caliper; it is aerodynamically tucked flat against the right side of the bike - allowing impressive lean angles as well as a low drag coefficient at the 170-plus speeds this bike is capable of delivering.

After coming up short - on the street and the track - against Gixxers and ZX-10s - the new CBR is back in fighting trim.

MSRP is $11,599

Other colors will be offered - but Honda Red is what you'll want!

Ken
03-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Eric said;
Interesting stylistic (and functional) features include a new 4-2-1 exhaust with both electronic and pressure controlled valves to modulate backpressure as you go. The can is a triple chamber design that arches up like an artillery piece just ahead of the rear caliper; it is aerodynamically tucked flat against the right side of the bike - allowing impressive lean angles as well as a low drag coefficient at the 170-plus speeds this bike is capable of delivering.

After coming up short - on the street and the track - against Gixxers and ZX-10s - the new CBR is back in fighting trim.

MSRP is $11,599

Other colors will be offered - but Honda Red is what you'll want!

I'm not too sure about the colour choice though, Eric. On my 6RR I let Diane choose the colour and she went for the pearlescent white/black. I have been amazed at the number of people who, having looked at the bike, say 'That is a great colour scheme, much better than the red or blue.' Naturally, as the proud owner, I am forced (OK, I'm not forced at all) to agree with them. Compact spec shown below.

Ken.

Specification.
Top speed 179mph
1/4-mile acceleration 10.2 secs
Power 175.3bhp
Torque 84ftlb
Weight 199kg
Seat height 820mm
Fuel capacity 17.7 litres
Average fuel consumption mpg
Tank range miles
Insurance group 17
Engine size 999cc
Engine specification Liquid-cooled,16v dohc, in-line four-cylinder four-stroke, 6 gears, fuel injection, chain final drive
Frame Aluminium dual beam
Front suspension adjustment Rebound and compression damping with pre-load adjustment
Rear suspension adjustment Rebound and compression damping with pre-load adjustment
Front brakes 2 x 320mm front discs with 4-piston calipers
Rear brake 220mm rear disc with 1-piston caliper
Front tyre size 120/70 x 17
Rear tyre size 190/50 x 17 Specification.

Eric
03-27-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm a "Kaw Green" guy myself!

After that, I favor silver and gun-metal colors; maybe an orange.

Red is too... red. For me! ;D