PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Aprilia Shiver 750

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
03-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Why cover up beautiful engineering? That's the philosophy behind naked bikes like the new Shiver SL 750 - arguably one of the hottest things on two wheels, both looks-wise and performance-wise.

The Shiver's an all-new machine for Aprilia - from its 90-degree, liquid-cooled V-twin to its trellis-style modular steel/aluminum frame - gorgeously anodized in magnesium/copper - and not hidden from view behind sheets of extruded plastic bodywork. The upper section is tubular aluminum; the lower sections cast steel and webbed for light weight/high strength. The end result is the kind of industrial art you can just stare at for hours... .

You might need to take this one home wrapped in a brown paper bag!

The 90-degree twin,meanwhile, is a ground-up (and in-house) new design. It features mixed chain/gear drive for the dual overhead cams - similar to the set-up used in the RSV1000 R. This layout permits very compact engine packaging, as well as a longer service life for the cam chain, since it's shorter than would otherwise be the case - and so not subjected to as much stress. The big Italian twin is fed via twin throttle bodies and a state of the art "ride by wire" throttle control system - making it the first bike in its class to offer this technology. Aprilia says its system delivers sharper and more progressive throttle response from idle through full scream. It is capable, for example, of adjusting itself to the speed at which you rotate the throttle as well as how much you rotate the throttle.

The short stroke V-twin produces 95 horsepower at 9,000 RPM - making it one of the highest-powered twins of its type on the market. A full stainless exhaust routes the spent gasses under the seat and out behind you - leaving the left and right sides of the bike symmetrical and free of "can clutter" - while also giving the rider a bit more potential lean angle without worry about scraping the pipes. The exhaust is finished up with twin triangular tips - so the riders behind you get as sweet a view as those you just passed by.

Aprilia didn't cheap out on the suspension or brakes, either.

This naked 750 comes equipped with 43 mm upside down forks with forged lowers, forged aluminum steering yoke and a clever side-mounted/cantilever-style mono-shock system that allows a short-wheelbase design for sharp reflexes. It offers full adjustment capability for spring preload and rebound damping. Front brakes are high-capacity radial-mounts - with race-style braided steel hoses fore and aft. Thebike weighs in at 416.6 pounds and has a four gallon tank.

Handlebars are standard type - not clip-ons - so the bike has more street friendly ergos than the typical full-on super sport. But not every day is track day - and few bike powerplants sound as sweet as an Italian twin. Even fewer look as sharp as the Shiver. With this bike, you get the goods - and the looks.

And with a price just under $9k the thing is affordable, too. You could buy a more mainstream bike for about the same money. But why would you go an do something like that? ;D

Ken
03-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Over here the on the road cost is about 6000 ($12000?) including delivery charge, tax, plates, etc. Assuming Eric quoted the base price, without taxes, what would the 'on the road' cost in the US be?

The Shiver spec in compact format is shown below.

Ken.

Specifications

Top speed 130mph
1/4-mile acceleration secs
Power 95bhp
Torque 60ftlb
Weight 189kg
Seat height 810mm
Fuel capacity 15 litres
Average fuel consumption 40mpg
Tank range 150 miles
Insurance group 15
Engine size 749cc
Engine specification 8-valve V-twin, 6 gears
Frame Tubular steel trellis/cast aluminium
Front suspension adjustment Preload, rebound, compression
Rear suspension adjustment Preload, rebound, compression
Front brakes 2 x 320mm discs, 4-piston calipers
Rear brake 245mm disc, single piston caliper
Front tyre size 120/70 x 17
Rear tyre size 180/55 x 17

Eric
03-27-2008, 09:40 AM
I just wish they'd make a "big brother" of this thing - maybe 1000 ccs.

But it's still (to my eye) one of the prettiest things going right now...!

Ken
03-27-2008, 09:50 AM

Could give the Suzi SV1000 a run for its money.

Ken.

Eric
03-27-2008, 11:26 AM

Could give the Suzi SV1000 a run for its money.

Ken.

Looks-wise, I'd take the Shiver. Not that the Suzuki's unattractive - far from it. But - to me - the Shiver is stunningly distinctive.

Now, if only it had the RSV's mill in it!