PDA

View Full Version : Weight lifing?

Valentine One Radar Detector

Eric
03-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Pete and I are both into lifting weights; anyone else here hit the stacks?

"You've gotta do triceps, you've gotta do bench, if you get real massive you'll bag that wench."

Ken
03-29-2008, 06:09 PM

"You've gotta do triceps, you've gotta do bench, if you get real massive you'll bag that wench."

Yeah but when you get older, then everything sags, you don't get the wenches, you just get the bags. ;D

Ken.

chiph
03-29-2008, 07:19 PM
I don't do the traditional barbells, etc., but rather Russian Kettlebell free-weights.
They're basically a cannonball with a handle on them.
:)

http://www.russiankettlebells.com/

They're better than dumbells, as the weight is centered under your hand, so more effort goes into the actual lift. But the stabilizer muscles are still activated. They're also good for developing the forearms, as you need to grip them firmly when doing snatches with them (so they don't flip around and bang up your wrist!)

Turkish get-ups are killers, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqyIuFIdgRk

Chip H.

grouch
03-29-2008, 08:33 PM

I make my living in a roofing factory throwing 80 pound bundles of shingles. Every now and then, we'll get a kid in who lifts weights and he finds out real quick there IS a difference. I've done it for 30+ years and don't even think about slinging bundles. When I was younger, I did lift weights but it got to where I couldn't find shirts to fit. I wear a 48 inch chest on jackets but if I want to button my shirt, I need a 19 1/2 inch neck.

I don't jog either. My legs are just not built for it with really short shins. I sit tall but I'm only 6 foot when I stand. Basically, if you see me running, try to keep up. Somethings after me or something is about to go BOOM!

misterdecibel
03-29-2008, 08:34 PM
I lift, usually, but have been lazy and unmotivated for the past year or so. I need to get back to the gym.

Disco Man
03-31-2008, 05:09 PM
I don't do the traditional barbells, etc., but rather Russian Kettlebell free-weights.
They're basically a cannonball with a handle on them.
:)

http://www.russiankettlebells.com/

They're better than dumbells, as the weight is centered under your hand, so more effort goes into the actual lift. But the stabilizer muscles are still activated. They're also good for developing the forearms, as you need to grip them firmly when doing snatches with them (so they don't flip around and bang up your wrist!)

Turkish get-ups are killers, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqyIuFIdgRk

Chip H.

Intersting, I have noticed that kettleballs are gaining in popularity in the last few years with a few of the bodybuilding sites now promoting them.

Do you have any problems with the kettleball hurting your top forearm? It appears to apply a lot pressure there. The modern dumbbell replaced the kettleball since the weight portion of the dumbbell does not touch any of the arm. How do you work your triceps and biceps with your kettleballs?

Disco Man
03-31-2008, 05:22 PM
I make my living in a roofing factory throwing 80 pound bundles of shingles. Every now and then, we'll get a kid in who lifts weights and he finds out real quick there IS a difference. I've done it for 30+ years and don't even think about slinging bundles. When I was younger, I did lift weights but it got to where I couldn't find shirts to fit. I wear a 48 inch chest on jackets but if I want to button my shirt, I need a 19 1/2 inch neck.

I don't jog either. My legs are just not built for it with really short shins. I sit tall but I'm only 6 foot when I stand. Basically, if you see me running, try to keep up. Somethings after me or something is about to go BOOM!

Nothing builds up a strong core like that type of heavy manual labor. Most weightlifters today don't do core exercises. They only lift for cosmetic reasons not to build strength like the old timers. The early modern (natural) bodybuilders were powerhouses. For instance a guy like Reg Park (three time NABBA Mr. Universe) was a natural bodybuilder and he was as strong as an ox. He was the second man to benchpress over 500 lbs. He and another bodybuilder (Dave Draper) were in a car that had a flat tire back in the late 1960s there was no jack in the trunk so both guys switched off lifting the car while the other one removed or put a tire on. That's strength. To read more about this tire changing with no jack story: http://www.davedraper.com/article-80-nocturnal-prowess.html

Here's a video of Reg Park bench pressing 510 lbs (He was 6'1" tall and 225 lbs) back in the early 1950s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptB6SyXFO_4

Here's Reg posing back in the mid 1960s (he was in his late 30s at the time):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1nfYct-bHY

chiph
03-31-2008, 05:31 PM
Intersting, I have noticed that kettleballs are gaining in popularity in the last few years with a few of the bodybuilding sites now promoting them.

Do you have any problems with the kettleball hurting your top forearm? It appears to apply a lot pressure there. The modern dumbbell replaced the kettleball since the weight portion of the dumbbell does not touch any of the arm. How do you work your triceps and biceps with your kettleballs?

You do get some pressure on the outside of your forearm when doing presses, etc. But if you grip it harder, then it doesn't become a problem.
Letting the weight swing around and smack your forearm is not the most fun thing to have happen. :) But again, by increasing your grip, you can prevent this from happening (you'll build up callouses on your palms, but that's not so bad)

Biceps can be worked by doing standing bent-over Rows or for more fun, Renegade Rows (you balance on top of a pair of kettlebells in a push-up position, with your legs wide. Then perform a row with one arm, lifting the weight, trying to keep the hips motionless. You're balancing your weight on your opposite hand, which is gripping a kettlebell firmly so it doesn't tip over, and your toes. Alternate arms for 5-6 reps each.)

I don't really know of a way to work the Triceps specifically with them -- you can use the kettlebells on a bench to do presses (like dumbbells, since they're not connected -- they make you work harder). There's probably an exercise you can do for this, but pushups seem to do the job for me -- either traditional, or elevated with my feet on a bench.

I'd like to work my way up to being able to do handstand pushups, but I'm still a long way from that!

Chip H.

Disco Man
04-01-2008, 01:58 AM
Chip,

Thanks fo all the great info. That makes sense about having a tight grip. I'll give them a try sometime. Do you own your kettleballs or do you use them at a gym?

chiph
04-01-2008, 04:41 PM
The gym has them. They're surprisingly expensive, for what they are.

If you have any contacts in the steel casting/forging business, they'd be a good thing to make, as the retail price is around $120 each (and you usually need two of them), plus $50-70 for shipping.

Today was a new exercise with one -- using a lighter-weight kettlebell (10kg for me), do a two-handed clean up to your chest (holding onto the handle). Once there, boost it up a little higher and catch the bottom of it in your cupped hands. Do a squat, followed by a press. Then go thru the ending part of the clean to set it back on the floor.
Repeat 8 times. :)

Chip H.

robmcg
04-03-2008, 11:45 PM
I used to do a lot of bench pressing , after the 1974 accident when I was 23yrs and got multiple injuries and T456 spinal 'massive dislocation'... frontal impact broke most of my ribs too. And shoulder blades and one leg one arm and ruptured internals.
So I did bench pressing and got into the pleasure and mental side of it too, as well various wall-weights on pulleys, and medium distance pushing mostly with a very happy dog.

I have little interest in body-building, but admire technique and strength. Some of my friends could press around 400lbs. I was/am only about 9 stone and could press 180 or so but preferred repetitions at 140-150. Osteoarthritis means I don't push weights anymore, but I mow lawns... <g> I have an old photo somewhere..

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264/robmcg_photo/KIWIROB.jpg

Disco Man
04-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Rob,

In that picture you are in pretty good shape. Looked like you hit the weights hard in the gym.

You are right lifting the iron does get addictive, once you get into it. I do a lot less benchpresses now as I have gotten older. I still do them regularly but I am not pushing maximum weight and I keep my sets to a minimum. I rely on dips, nautilus flys, dumbbell flys, etc. to hit the pec muscles. All the bodybuilder oldtimers who I know who overdid benchpressing for many years have rotator cuff problems.

robmcg
04-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Without working stomach muscles, nor balance, I use(d) weights on vertical sliders with pulleys and ropes to get most angles on my upper body, which yes, was a bit addictive. I could have even got some overseas travel from the standard of bench pressing I could do, but never took it seriously enough ... more fun to try mental tests like lying on a double bed with left arm holding the frame and Margaret (see motormouth rob's secret website) hanging off the locked right-angle right arm like she was hanging off a yacht , using leg-strength to 'break' the elbow. Dunno if she ever tried REALLY hard.... we had other certain duties and she had tricks like distraction.

I edited the local para magazine for a few years and lots used the para assn as a junket, which didn't appeal to me, but I wore out three strong dogs over the years with pushes in the streets.