PDA

View Full Version : Will Gail come to our wedding?

Valentine One Radar Detector

DonTom
05-16-2008, 02:38 AM
Gail,

Tom and I are going to get married soon. Can we expect you at the wedding?

See here:

http://www.slate.com/id/2191530/

-Don-

Eric
05-16-2008, 06:10 AM
Gail,

See here:

-Don-

I doubt she will attend - but you may just have given the Reublicans their "issue" for 2008.

Countless bible-clutching morons will put aside Iraq, forget about the destruction of the economy and the evisceration of the Constitution.... because those homersexuals is gettin' married. We gotta stop the gay agenda and protect them fambuhly values...

DonTom
05-16-2008, 08:25 AM
"Countless bibe-clutching morons will put aside Iraq, forget about the destruction of the economy and the evisceration of the Constitution.... because those homersexuals is gettin' married. We gotta stop the gay agenda and protect them fambuhly values..."

I would hope such people would learn their lesson by now.

BTW, IMO, Baby Bush has been good for gays in the long run. Perhaps he's the main reason why gay marriage is now legal in CA. People are so sick of everything Bush stands for.

-Don-

grouch
05-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Countless bibe-clutching morons will put aside Iraq, forget about the destruction of the economy and the evisceration of the Constitution.... because those homersexuals is gettin' married. We gotta stop the gay agenda and protect them fambuhly values...

Somebody actually wanting to assure their partner of benefits and taking care of possible unforeseen problems in the future seems to go against the Bush leagues philosophy. I guess doing what's right isn't something the Republicans care about anymore.

ColleenC2
05-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Congratulations Don,

Now you and Tom can fall by the wayside of the 100 of thousands of married couples that get to pour their hard earned money into the government, read what one married man wrote about ..

"...But still, we'd get up to a $10,000 refund if we were single filers. So in essence, we are paying the government over $500 a month, or over $6000 a year, to be married. That's pretty damn steep. Talk about "family values" - yet they will never fix it because they'd lose far too much revenue. We can only cut revenue when it saves the rich a lot of money. But marriage - well, that doesn't matter. Or apparently only is a big deal if there are two penises or two vaginas in a marriage - then it is the end of the world and will result in the destruction of marriage as we know it, and the collapse of our society. But paying six grand per year for the "pleasure" of marriage, well, that doesn't hurt the institution at all.

It is almost worth it just to get a divorce - we'd save so much money - the divorce would pay for itself in the first year. That's just sad.

But I don't expect this will ever be fixed. What a load of bullshit."

http://disgustedbeyondbelief.blogspot.com/2008/01/tax-time-marriage-penalty-time.html

ColleenC2
05-16-2008, 11:01 AM
The marriage rate is also on a steady decline: a 50% drop since 1970 from 76.5 per 1,000 unmarried women to 39.9, says the report, whose calculations are based on an internationally used measurement.

Couples who once might have wed and then divorced now are not marrying at all, according to The State of our Unions 2005. The annual report, which analyzes Census and other data, is issued by the National Marriage Project at New Jersey's Rutgers University.

So it seems that as the "heterosexual" community as a whole seems to get the fact that paying the government to be married is unconscionable and unreasonable the "homosexual" community is slow to grasp that concept.

While the homosexual community touts that they want all the protection that "married couples" have, a simple trip to the lawyers (for about the same price that one would pay the government in a year), one could have all the "protections" that married couples have.

By the year 2010 the "marriage penalty tax" will be revised to increase the amount that is already being paid and... "whoohoo", the federal government will have a new target population to collect taxes from.

Eric
05-16-2008, 12:18 PM
"I would hope such people would learn their lesson by now."

That requires the capacity to think... which such people sorely lack.

Eric
05-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Congratulations Don,

Now you and Tom can fall by the wayside of the 100 of thousands of married couples that get to pour their hard earned money into the government, read what one married man wrote about ..

"...But still, we'd get up to a $10,000 refund if we were single filers. So in essence, we are paying the government over $500 a month, or over $6000 a year, to be married. That's pretty damn steep. Talk about "family values" - yet they will never fix it because they'd lose far too much revenue. We can only cut revenue when it saves the rich a lot of money. But marriage - well, that doesn't matter. Or apparently only is a big deal if there are two penises or two vaginas in a marriage - then it is the end of the world and will result in the destruction of marriage as we know it, and the collapse of our society. But paying six grand per year for the "pleasure" of marriage, well, that doesn't hurt the institution at all.

It is almost worth it just to get a divorce - we'd save so much money - the divorce would pay for itself in the first year. That's just sad.

But I don't expect this will ever be fixed. What a load of bullshit."

http://disgustedbeyondbelief.blogspot.com/2008/01/tax-time-marriage-penalty-time.html

I'll go further - the entire tax system is an obscenity; an affront to the most basic liberties the people of this country once enjoyed. That sack of shit, that proto-Chimp, Abe Lincoln is at the fountainhead of all of it. Had a fortunate bullet found him in 1859, we'd probably still have a republic - and would be free people, as the founding fathers intended.

Instead, we have an inescapable "total state" that lays claim not merely to our money - but to our very persons. Until it is stomped cold and dead, we will suffer ever-increasing tyranny, of which high and relentless taxes are merely one inevitable side effect.

DonTom
05-16-2008, 06:36 PM
"...But still, we'd get up to a $10,000 refund if we were single filers. So in essence, we are paying the government over $500 a month, or over $6000 a year, to be married."

Tom and I would pay thousand less in tax if we were legally married on the federal level. My income is quite high (way too high to get that tax rebate) and Tom's is quite low (especially since he retired).

Not only would we pay thousands less in federal tax if same sex marriage was legal, we would get exactly twice the tax rebate (Tom still gets it, but it would be twice the amount if we were legally married).

Your income compared to your husband's must be a much closer match, and fairly high. High enough that the extra tax won't make you go broke.

-Don-

gail
05-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Gail,

See here:

-Don-

I doubt she will attend - but you may just have given the Reublicans their "issue" for 2008.

Countless bible-clutching morons will put aside Iraq, forget about the destruction of the economy and the evisceration of the Constitution.... because those homersexuals is gettin' married. We gotta stop the gay agenda and protect them fambuhly values...

You are right, Eric, I would not attend. Are you going?

Eric
05-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Gail,

See here:

-Don-

You are right, Eric, I would not attend. Are you going?

If it didn't involve a cross-country flight - and Don & Tom invited us - sure!

Disco Man
05-19-2008, 11:12 AM
I hear all the terrible stories from divorced male friends who get taken to the cleaners by their wives with massive alimony payments and loss of most of their assets. They essentially spend the rest of their lives in poverty like conditions while the ex-wife lives the good life.

In the homosexual community, I can only imagine the bickering and battles in the courtroom when their marriages breakup, not to mention the complexity of how the courts will figure out who is going to pay alimony. And the spouse who ends up getting hit with alimony payments won't be liking the end results. Divorce lawyers in California are probably jumping for joy over this latest ruling.

As I mentioned before homosexual marriage is immoral and wrong.

I think many in the homosexual community will after some bitter divorces wish they had never gotten married. One thing's for sure the lawyers will cleanup as usual.

gail
05-19-2008, 03:27 PM
If the divorce rate of homosexuals mirrors the divorce rate of heterosexuals AFTER living together there will be a huge divorce rate within the first year of marriage, regardless of how long they have lived together. It must have something to do with a sense of ownership that comes with legality that never existed during the live-in time.

But, there is nothing that I can do about it, so I will just ignore the issue. If I learn that a couple are practicing homosexuality I will politely ignore them as well. In the meantime, do tell and I won't ask. If my church starts marrying them, I will probably go join the FLDS group who won't tolerate such goings on.

Eric
05-19-2008, 05:05 PM
I hear all the terrible stories from divorced male friends who get taken to the cleaners by their wives with massive alimony payments and loss of most of their assets. They essentially spend the rest of their lives in poverty like conditions while the ex-wife lives the good life.

In the homosexual community, I can only imagine the bickering and battles in the courtroom when their marriages breakup, not to mention the complexity of how the courts will figure out who is going to pay alimony. And the spouse who ends up getting hit with alimony payments won't be liking the end results. Divorce lawyers in California are probably jumping for joy over this latest ruling.

I think many in the homosexual community will after some bitter divorces wish they had never gotten married. One thing's for sure the lawyers will cleanup as usual.

Selecting a wife (or husband) is no easy thing. I got lucky - and might not have been; there was a close shave before I met my wife!

As far as gay marriage/morality, etc. - my view is this:

"Marriage" in a religious context is up to the religion to determine the nature of - and to approve of (or not). If, for example, a Christian church regards gay marriage as sinful and refuses to acknowledge it, I have no problem with that. Gays should not try to force their lifestyle or values, etc. on the religious group. And by the same token, the religious group should not try to force its views, etc. on the gays. Both should go their separate ways in peace.

But in a civil context, I have no issue with - and very much support - gay couples being given the same legal rights as married couples; for example, power of attorney in the case of serious illness and the "default right" to joint property, etc. As an example, Don & Tom have been together for several decades; if Don fell gravely ill and was unable to make a medical decision, is it not reasonable and right that the person he has chosen to spend his life with should be first in line to make that decision - as opposed to, say, a relative of Don's that Don may not have even spoken with in 10 or 15 years or whom he does not especially like? If Don should die, is it not right and proper that Tom should be the default person (absent an expression in a will that runs otherwise) to any joint property they may have?

Etc.

I understand the distaste some people have for gays but do not understand the often virulent response that gays elicit among some - simply because they are gay (not because of anything they have done to anyone or threaten to do to anyone). As I wrote in a previous post, I have never felt threatened by gays, don't worry about them trying to convert me - and hell, I'd much rather have a gay couple like Don & Tom as my neighbor than some violent drunk straight guy who beats his wife. Etc.

Wouldn't you?

gail
05-19-2008, 05:07 PM

Selecting a wife (or husband) is no easy thing. I got lucky - and might not have been; there was a close shave before I met my wife!

I wish you well and much happiness in your marriage.

Eric
05-19-2008, 05:24 PM

I wish you well and much happiness in your marriage.

Thanks!

So far, so good.... :)

DonTom
05-20-2008, 09:29 AM
"As I mentioned before homosexual marriage is immoral and wrong."

For you, yes. But for those who are gay, it's only heterosexual marriage that's wrong. Perhaps you have heard some of those horror stories.

"I think many in the homosexual community will after some bitter divorces wish they had never gotten married."

Of course there will be some who never should have gotten married. Both gay and heterosexual couples.

-Don-