Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Price Survey

DonTom
    On the way back from Reno, we noticed a few gas stations that sold 87 for $1.599. Most of CA seems to be cheaper than NV until you get south of SF, such as here in South SF and San Bruno.

I think most people who live in this area make sure they fill up as far away from here as reasonably possible.

-Don- (back in SSF)

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    On the way back from Reno, we noticed a few gas stations that sold 87 for $1.599. Most of CA seems to be cheaper than NV until you get south of SF, such as here in South SF and San Bruno.

I think most people who live in this area make sure they fill up as far away from here as reasonably possible.

-Don- (back in SSF)
    It has edged up 25 cents or more per gallon over the past 48 hours.... now at about $1.45.....

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    Down another dime -- $1.58/1.70/1.82 at the corner Exxon when I filled up today. That's cheaper than in January 2000.
    Holding at $1.59/1.71/1.83 for two weeks.

Holding at $1.59/1.71/1.83 for two weeks.

Prices still falling in the UK. Today Premium unleaded 0.909/$1.35 ltr. 4.13/$6.13 per UK Gallon, 3.44/$5.11 per US gallon.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Staff
    I like low prices, but is this healthy?
    No. I think that there ought to be a price floor on gasoline. I'm in favor of 3 bucks a gallon. At that level, people are more concerned about conservation... ie not making unnecessary trips and buying more fuel efficient transportation. Now that we're in the credit crunch, people aren't buying anything.

A good energy policy would be to implement a tax on foreign oil. That way you maintain a level of drilling here in the USA and you lower the trade deficit. With that, you keep the basic industries going.. tool and dye, suppliers, etc while you use some of the newfound money to fund the green jobs that Obama is talking about.

Gas is still 1.59 here and has been holding... oil has dropped by nearly 8 bucks in that period. While oil drops, other consumer prices continue to rise including food and petroleum based products.

On the way back up! My neighborhood Exxon sat at 1.55/1.67/1.79 for a couple of weeks. Yesterday it was back up to 1.59/1.71/1.83, and today it's 1.69/1.81/1.93.

Staff

So much for that Buck a gallon

Gas prices here have moved from a low of $1.549 to 1.709 for regular. If current trends continue, I see 2.25-2.75 by spring. That is because of expected increases in oil prices and because of the stupid mandated refinery changeovers to blend some 50 different varieties of gasoline for "clean air" markets.

You can be guaranteed that if the stupid elephants did nothing about that, nor will the braying, honking sneering jackasses.

Staff
    We are now paying 1.849 in Orlando, FL.

Back up to $2.099/gal for premium here.

Staff
    It is interesting - Oil down, gas up. What is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post

Over here we call it 'Making hay while the sun (still) shines'. It (the sun) may not last for long but you can bet your bottom dollar that the SOBs will cash in while there is still some money around. Better brace yourselves, guys, I think the world is in for a long cold 'winter'.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

DonTom
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post

I've heard it had something to do with the USA refineries and the changeover for the winter gasoline.

But what I do not understand is why the price in one area goes way up as another area goes down. I can find gasoline cheaper in the SF Bay area now than I can in Rocklin, CA (100 miles NE of here). Rocklin used to have the cheapest gasoline on the way to Reno from here. But now I can find lower prices in the SF Bay area.

So why does one area go up in price and another down, in the same state (CA)?

-Don- (South SF, CA)

DonTom
    This is getting more strange by the day. Now, on the way to Reno from here in SSF, the cheapest gasoline we can find is in:

San Francisco! In SF, it's about two or three cents above two bucks per gallon for 87.

Rocklin, CA (about half way beteen SF & Reno) that used to be the cheapest is now asking $2.18. Reno, NV is even a few cents higher. I am comparing the same brand, Arco gasoline, which is usually the cheapest perhaps because they do not accept credit cards.

Why would the same brand of gasoline have the price go up in some areas while at the same time price goes down in other areas on the same day? I never thought I would find the cheapest gasoline from SF to Reno right in SF!

IOW, the price at Rocklin, CA went up as SF prices went down to make SF now cheaper than Rocklin. What determines this?

-Don- South San Francisco

$2.13 for premium at the corner Exxon, but I paid $2.03 at another Exxon halfway across town today.

I don't have an Exxon fetish, but they seem to have a near monopoly in my area. Seems like all we've got anymore is lots of Exxon stations, a few Shells, some EZ Marts with fuel, and the occasional Jackpot or Mapco Express. I know of one BP. And lots of Exxons.

Staff
    $2.13 for premium at the corner Exxon, but I paid $2.03 at another Exxon halfway across town today.

I don't have an Exxon fetish, but they seem to have a near monopoly in my area. Seems like all we've got anymore is lots of Exxon stations, a few Shells, some EZ Marts with fuel, and the occasional Jackpot or Mapco Express. I know of one BP. And lots of Exxons.
    This whole thing is ridiculous. I have noticed a consistent push upward in the price of gasoline from a low of $1.55 when oil was about 33.00 per barrel to $1.89 today when oil is about $40.00 per barrel. No one besides us is talking about it much less reporting it. The big oil companies are participating in price gouging at this point. Gas shouldn't be more than $1.75-1.80 at this point. the price shouldn't be rising 5 cents per week at this point.

Regular 87 octane (with 10% ethanol) hovering around $1.65-9/10 around Memphis, Tennessee. Some stations are making a big deal about the fact that they don't sell ethanol.

Hawg

Prices are down a little here. The Corner Exxon jumped from $2.03 to $2.09 to $2.13 to $2.19 fairly quickly, then settled at $2.13 for a couple of weeks, now they're down to $2.03 again. For Premium.
    Last edited by misterdecibel; 02-27-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Prices are down a little here. The Corner Exxon jumped from $2.03 to $2.09 to $2.13 to $2.19 fairly quickly, then settled at $2.13 for a couple of weeks, now they're down to $2.03 again.
    Hovering right under $2 here.....

Corner Exxon's back up to $2.139 for premium.