Thread: Gas Price Survey

Re: Gas Price Survey

Drove by a local Sunoco today:

93 Octane: $4.29

87 Octane: $4.09

Diesel: $4.99

gail

When I gassed up on Saturday May 31, I paid $3.899 a gal. I notice on Gas Buddy that the same station is charging 3.939 a gal today. However, I see that there are a few stations charging 3.739.

Check out GasBuddy in your area:
    http://gasbuddy.com/

D_E_Davis

Tucson seems to be one of the cheapest places around, but prices are creeping up here also. 3.639 most stations, with a righ of 3.769 and a low of 3.559

DonTom

Now about $4.50 is average for 87 in SF Bay Area. About 50 cents cheaper here in the Reno, NV area ). About $4.20 half way between.

-Don-

Still 3.79/3.89/4.09 at the neighborhood Exxon, for the past two weeks or so.

DonTom

In the Reno area, I've notice a few stations are still under $4.00. But for 85 octane!!! Are any vehicles designed for 85 octane?

The elevation there is 5,000 feet, but with EFI, that shouldn't make much difference these days.

Anyway, I drove the Jeep back here with 85 octane and it ran as well as ever.

-Don- (Back in SSF)

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    In the Reno area, I've notice a few stations are still under $4.00. But for 85 octane!!! Are any vehicles designed for 85 octane?

The elevation there is 5,000 feet, but with EFI, that shouldn't make much difference these days.

Anyway, I drove the Jeep back here with 85 octane and it ran as well as ever.
    According to the Wikipedia article, 85 is found at high-altitude locations because the reduced atmospheric pressure means the the effective compression ratio is lowered. But 5000 feet seems low for the 85 fuel, as that altitude has 80% of the sea level pressure.

I wouldn't be keen to run Eric's GTO on wide throttle on 85 octane unless it had other additives in it.

What is it with US measure of octane being so basic and misleading? Or are there complex legal things to do with product description which means you can sell anything?

We used to use 'alcohol' for 12:1 c/r.

Most of the world uses an octane number based on an average RON/MON wchich is a few numbers higher than US 'rating' your 87 = 91. Your 91 = 95 etc ., approx. In steam days, we were wary of superheated steam, which was a poorer cylinder lubricant....

I don't agree that electronic ignition makes engines safe for low-octane fuel, as there is a limit to which an injector pulse can affect mixture unless with direct injection. All it does is stop sustaned pre-ignition.

Eric's got a GTO now?

DonTom

According to the Wikipedia article, 85 is found at high-altitude locations because the reduced atmospheric pressure means the the effective compression ratio is lowered. But 5000 feet seems low for the 85 fuel, as that altitude has 80% of the sea level pressure.

That certainly should be true for cars with carbs, but EFI should compensate for that (by advancing timing, leaning out mixture, etc). AFAIK, most vehicles are designed for 87 under any conditions. Have you seen an owner's manual for an EFI vehicle that says 85 octane is okay at higher elevations?

Nevertheless, I would not hesitate to use 85 octane in any of my EFI vehicles.

-Don-

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    I wouldn't be keen to run Eric's GTO on wide throttle on 85 octane unless it had other additives in it.

What is it with US measure of octane being so basic and misleading? Or are there complex legal things to do with product description which means you can sell anything?

We used to use 'alcohol' for 12:1 c/r.

Most of the world uses an octane number based on an average RON/MON wchich is a few numbers higher than US 'rating' your 87 = 91. Your 91 = 95 etc ., approx. In steam days, we were wary of superheated steam, which was a poorer cylinder lubricant....

I don't agree that electronic ignition makes engines safe for low-octane fuel, as there is a limit to which an injector pulse can affect mixture unless with direct injection. All it does is stop sustaned pre-ignition.
    Robbie lad, you're confused - I suspect some of that used railway steam has addled your brain. It is the US (and Canada) that average the RON and MON numbers to produce the actual display - it is Europe that uses RON alone.

BTW - We here have been promised 38C all week long, so summer must be near.

Filled up at Sunoco last night...

93 Octane was: $4.47

gail

Quote Originally Posted by Pete

Where do you live?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete

About the same here; we just crested $4 for regular, too.

You know what? I am on my knees thanking my Spider Sense that we didn't have kids...

My neighborhood Exxon is up from $4.099 to $4.179 for 93 today.

Quote Originally Posted by gail

Where do you live?
    Washington D.C. metro area.

Went to a different Sunoco station this morning and...

$4.39 - 93 Octane

The Shell station here that is usually the most expensive in town had $4.209 for premium for the past few weeks. With this week's price hike they're at $4.299.

DonTom

"The Shell station here that is usually the most expensive in town had $4.209 for premium for the past few weeks. With this week's price hike they're at $4.299."

We already have a couple of gas stations asking for five bucks (really $4.999) per gallon for 87, about 15 miles south of San Francisco (San Mateo).

We also have some gas stations closing because some gas stations cannot afford to buy the gasoline at today's price.

-Don-