Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Price Survey

Re: Gas Price Survey

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "The Shell station here that is usually the most expensive in town had $4.209 for premium for the past few weeks. With this week's price hike they're at $4.299."

We already have a couple of gas stations asking for five bucks (really $4.999) per gallon for 87, about 15 miles south of San Francisco (San Mateo).

We also have some gas stations closing because some gas stations cannot afford to buy the gasoline at today's price.

-Don-
    Well done guys, you are getting there slowly. My local price, converted to US gallons and dollars, $8.419 per US gallon, ($10.615 per UK gallon). I'm all for equality so I'm petitioning our beloved Chancellor of the Exchequer (may he burn in the sulphur pits of a mythical Hell, preferably before he dies.) to reduce our taxes to bring our gas down to your prices. :'(

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    I'm all for equality so I'm petitioning our beloved Chancellor of the Exchequer (may he burn in the sulphur pits of a mythical Hell, preferably before he dies.) to reduce our taxes to bring our gas down to your prices. :'(

Good luck with that.

Well done guys, you are getting there slowly. My local price, converted to US gallons and dollars, $8.419 per US gallon, ($10.615 per UK gallon). I'm all for equality so I'm petitioning our beloved Chancellor of the Exchequer (may he burn in the sulphur pits of a mythical Hell, preferably before he dies.) to reduce our taxes to bring our gas down to your prices. :'(

Ken.
    As things are currently going by end of year we'll be up at your prices, provided your prices don't go up. :P

DonTom

"My local price, converted to US gallons and dollars, $8.419 per US gallon, ($10.615 per UK gallon). "

I've heard that after all the taxes are removed, the gasoline is a little cheaper in England. Do you know if that's true?

-Don-

"My local price, converted to US gallons and dollars, $8.419 per US gallon, ($10.615 per UK gallon). "

I've heard that after all the taxes are removed, the gasoline is a little cheaper in England. Do you know if that's true?

-Don-
    Will go look, Don.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

-Don-
    Will go look, Don.

Ken.
    Our current tax level comprises 58% of the cost of each litre of petrol. In my area, unleaded retails at around 116.9 which is about 68 pence in tax and about 49 pence fuel cost. In West London on the 30th May Texaco were retailing Diesel at 159.9 pence per litre and unleaded gas at 139.9 pence per litre. This equates to before tax figures of 67.2 pence per litre for deisel and 58.8 pence per litre for unleaded. At a (rough) two Dollars to the Pound this works out at;

Gas at 1.169ppl = 2 X 1.169 X 4.54 (ltrs to UK gallons) X 0.833 (convert to US gallons) = $8.842 less tax at 58% = $3.713/USG
    Gas at 1.399ppl = 2 X 1.399 X 4.54 X 0.833 = $10.58 less tax at 58% = $4.44/USG

Without tax we are running fairly equal I guess.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

The figures I saw last summer had the UK costs a few cents below ours. Mainly because you've got lower fuel transport costs.

I haven't bought gas in a while (unemployed, looking for the next job, so no more 25-31 mile commute for me), but perhaps I can go by the station tomorrow and see what it's gotten up to.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

My neighbor told me he drove down to the neighborhood gas station to buy gas but decided to shop in a nearby market first. He noted the gas was $4.299 before going into the market, and came out within 15 minutes . He went to fill up gas and noticed the price went up 6 cents during that 15 minute duration.

I better go fill up before the price jumps up again!! >

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan
    My neighbor told me he drove down to the neighborhood gas station to buy gas but decided to shop in a nearby market first. He noted the gas was $4.299 before going into the market, and came out within 15 minutes . He went to fill up gas and noticed the price went up 6 cents during that 15 minute duration.

I better go fill up before the price jumps up again!! >
    $4.02 here and holding... for now.

DonTom

"$4.02 here and holding... for now."

We are still close to five bucks, getting closer, but have not quite hit it YET.

-Don- San Francisco

This evening I purchased 93 Octane at the local Exxon for $4.47.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    This evening I purchased 93 Octane at the local Exxon for $4.47.
    Ugh. People who have vehicles that need premium are really getting screwed.... .

It now costs almost $100 to fill up my TA (which needs premium, too)....

DonTom

"This evening I purchased 93 Octane at the local Exxon for $4.47."

You cannot get regular 87 that cheap in this area.

-Don- (SF, CA)

"This evening I purchased 93 Octane at the local Exxon for $4.47."

You cannot get regular 87 that cheap in this area.

-Don- (SF, CA)
    Hello, moped... .

DonTom

"Hello, moped..."

Lots of them here. More and more all the time.

But there is something I like a lot about the high gasoline price.

By far, more people than ever are now NOT using their cars to get to work.

I now can get out of the city(from where I work) in one or two minutes. No waiting in traffic. It used to take me ten times that just to get out of the city and then a slow drive home on the freeway. Now, all the freeways are going at above the speed limit on my way home.

-Don-

"Hello, moped..."

Lots of them here. More and more all the time.

But there is something I like a lot about the high gasoline price.

By far, more people than ever are now NOT using their cars to get to work.

I now can get out of the city(from where I work) in one or two minutes. No waiting in traffic. It used to take me ten times that just to get out of the city and then a slow drive home on the freeway. Now, all the freeways are going at above the speed limit on my way home.

-Don-
    Yeah - I've been looking for an upside, too. And the high gas prices are throttling back the influx of maggots to our rural county, which I am very happy about.

If I had a billion dollars, I'd buy up every parcel of available land in the county and put it into a conservation easement to forever prevent further development....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Yeah - I've been looking for an upside, too. And the high gas prices are throttling back the influx of maggots to our rural county, which I am very happy about.

If I had a billion dollars, I'd buy up every parcel of available land in the county and put it into a conservation easement to forever prevent further development....
    Something I've learned is that if you don't own the land, you have no say over what happens to it. The block of land at the end of my street used to be a wonderful stand of trees. Now it's a shopping center.

So while you can't afford to buy the entire county, you might think about buying up the adjacent lots. If only to establish a buffer between you and the rest of the world.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Something I've learned is that if you don't own the land, you have no say over what happens to it. The block of land at the end of my street used to be a wonderful stand of trees. Now it's a shopping center.

So while you can't afford to buy the entire county, you might think about buying up the adjacent lots. If only to establish a buffer between you and the rest of the world.

Chip H.
    I'm with you on that; in fact, I am hoping to buy at least 10-20 acres from my neighbor, who owns a 120 acres behind us....!

: Here in the Great Northwest, we have gas, No name brand, for $4.45 for ellcheapo. Name brands are at least twenty cents higher. And diesel, would you believe $5.00+. ouch

Quote Originally Posted by J. ZIMM
    : Here in the Great Northwest, we have gas, No name brand, for $4.45 for ellcheapo. Name brands are at least twenty cents higher. And diesel, would you believe $5.00+. ouch
    That's a lot more than we pay!

Hovering at $3.98-$4.05 here.... regular unleaded.