Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Price Survey

TC

Re: Gas Price Survey

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by J. ZIMM
    : Here in the Great Northwest, we have gas, No name brand, for $4.45 for ellcheapo. Name brands are at least twenty cents higher. And diesel, would you believe $5.00+. ouch
    That's a lot more than we pay!

Hovering at $3.98-$4.05 here.... regular unleaded.
    I filled up today at #3.929 for regular unleaded in Clearwater Fl.

D_E_Davis

Currently running as low as 3.779 here for 87 octane.

The other day, a friend bought a Moped with the thought of saving a few bucks going the twenty blocks or so to work. When he got it home , he found out it had no spark. He bought a new spark plug, no help. He took it to one of our local shops to get it running. One of the shops said that another guy had one of these that wouldn't run. He said that the coil on that one was bad. Turned out it was the same Moped. In the mean time he had asked me about it. Told him I have worked on things like that just for fun. I have my own reasons for it. When he got it back from the shop, they had told him that the coil was bad and there were no parts for it. When he brought it to me, he didn't tell me there were no parts. So he just out right gave it to me. Title and all. I tinkered with it for about a week and found that one of the lugs in back of the coil had broken off. I was able to ream out the area enough to solder the lug back on. I now have a Moped that I can now use to go to the mail box, the corner store or where ever i wish to go.Even to my friends place! PS I have gone over 300 mikes on that putter, and haven't used a gallon of gas yet.

DonTom

The price in Portola, CA was $4.45 today for 87.

Here in Reno, I can find it as cheap as $4.25 or so, but I think it's 85 octane at most of these cheaper places.

But no matter where we go, it's cheaper than South SF ($4.65).

I refuse to use the .9 cent and I just round it off.

-Don-

7-17-08
    Long Beach CA
    87 Octane Exxon $4.35
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    Currently running as low as 3.779 here for 87 octane.

I heard somewhere that Tucson has the lowest gas prices in the US.

DonTom

In Reno, I found 85 octane for $3.999 yesterday.

-Don-

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    I heard somewhere that Tucson has the lowest gas prices in the US.
    That appears to be true. Noted yesterday that prices seem to have fallen by several cents since Thursday.

Filled up two days ago at Exxon:

93 Octane - $4.42 per gallon

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Filled up two days ago at Exxon:

93 Octane - $4.42 per gallon
    Jeez... that is a killer.

What's it cost to fill the Jeep from empty? I'm guessing about $92.....

D_E_Davis

Locally the prices have sagged over the weekend - I got 87 octane for $3.74 yesterday, which is down some 5 cents.

Here in La Pine , our cut rate stations lol, has dropped to $4.35. for generic.We get our mail by pony express via dog sled. :P

Premium here is down from $4.23-$4.25 to $4.18 or so.

On this Jeep (GC) it has a 20 gallon tank, and I usually put about 15 gallons in when I fill it up. Lately it's been running in the $70.00 range per fillup. It's equipped with the 5.7 Hemi V8 which will run fine on 87 and 89 Octane but the throttle response is best when it runs on 93 Octane. I can't stand running an engine slightly detuned, I have to run it at its best. As an example if you took two 5.7 Hemi Grand Cherokees and put 87 Octane in one and 93 Octane in the other. The one with 93 Octane will be about 1/2 second quicker in the 1/4 mile. The computer adjusts the motor according to the Octane level of the gas.

On this Jeep (GC) it has a 20 gallon tank, and I usually put about 15 gallons in when I fill it up. Lately it's been running in the $70.00 range per fillup. It's equipped with the 5.7 Hemi V8 which will run fine on 87 and 89 Octane but the trottle response is best when it runs on 93 Octane. I can't stand running an engine slightly detuned, I have to run it at its best. As an example if you took two 5.7 Hemi Grand Cherokees and put 87 Octane in one and 93 Octane in the other. The one with 93 Octane will be about 1/2 second quicker in the 1/4 mile. The computer adjusts the motor according to the Octane level of the gas.
    Yep - and it's also worth pointing out that an engine built to run on premium will usually get poorer gas mileage if it is fed regular, in addition to losing performance. Modern engine management control prevent damage, but they can't prevent the latter two problems!

Yep - and it's also worth pointing out that an engine built to run on premium will usually get poorer gas mileage if it is fed regular, in addition to losing performance. Modern engine management control prevent damage, but they can't prevent the latter two problems!
    Eric,

Excellent point, I did not think of that. Can you believe I am averaging a little over 16 mpg in around town/city driving? The EPA lists city driving in my 5.7 liter Grand Cherokee at 13 mpg city, 18 mpg highway, and combined 15 mpg. It seems my gas mileage has improved since putting 93 octane in it, the engine only has a little over 7K miles on it so its not yet broken in yet. I may get even better mpgs when it's broken in.

EPA's figures for my vehicle:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/22528.shtml

I saw 3.79/3.89/4.07 at a few stations down in slumland today, but those prices haven't migrated to the right side of the tracks yet.

Eric,

Excellent point, I did not think of that. Can you believe I am averaging a little over 16 mpg in around town/city driving? The EPA lists city driving in my 5.7 liter Grand Cherokee at 13 mpg city, 18 mpg highway, and combined 15 mpg. It seems my gas mileage has improved since putting 93 octane in it, the engine only has a little over 7K miles on it so its not yet broken in yet. I may get even better mpgs when it's broken in.

EPA's figures for my vehicle:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/22528.shtml

Yep - and given the power/weight/capability of your vehicle, 15 mpg "combined" would actually not be an outrage. It's a whole lot better than our TAs can deliver, for example!

Yep - and given the power/weight/capability of your vehicle, 15 mpg "combined" would actually not be an outrage. It's a whole lot better than our TAs can deliver, for example!
    As of this morning I am getting close to Empty when I pulled into work my mpg average according to the computer was 16.4 mpg (my driving was about 50/50 city/higway on this tank of gas). That's 1.4 better than the EPA's figure.

DonTom

"The one with 93 Octane will be about 1/2 second quicker in the 1/4 mile. "

Don't be in such a hurry. I never had anything better than 87 octane in my 97 Jeep (5.2L) and it runs fine.

-Don-