Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Price Survey

Re: Gas Price Survey

Bought my first tank in a long time at less than $3.

Exxon Mobil, Long Beach CA 87 octane #2.95

I have seen it as low as $2.83 around the LA area, but I either didn't need any or I didn't like the brand.

Now lets get it down to under $2
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.

DonTom

"or I didn't like the brand."

These days, I don't believe any newer (EFI) car is sensitive to different brands of gasoline of the same octane. I have owned GM cars in the past that would not run well with Shelll regular gasoline. They had serious problems when climbing up steep hills, but only with Shell regular. All other regular gasolines were fine and so was the higher octane gasoline from Shell. I knew many others who had the same problem (in late 1970's and early 1980's). I have no idea what the problem was.

These days, I do NOT hesitate to use Shell regular in any of my cars and they are all fine with it, hills or no hills.

-Don-

I've always had slightly better luck with Exxon.

Worst fuel seems to be at Sam's Warehouse, the Kroger supermarket that sells fuel, and Mapco Express.

$2.749 for regular at the BP yesterday. First time a fill-up has been below $20 in a while.
    (I don't let the tank get too empty)

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

2.29/2.41/2.53 at some stations here now.

Staff

I have seen 2.31/2.41/2.51/3.31 (diesel) at one station. Most others are 7-10 cents higher. Big deal.

These deals won't last.

DonTom

"Worst fuel seems to be at Sam's Warehouse, the Kroger supermarket that sells fuel, and Mapco Express."

What problems did you have in what type of vehicles and what is the octane number? Some places sell 85 octane, but all my cars are fine with it, even at sea level, but I don't think it's sold in CA.

I never saw a Kroger (or Smith's) here in CA. But I see a lot of then around my home in the Reno, NV area.

IMO, in many cases the cheaper gasoline can be better, simply because it usually sells faster. Often it's the same gasoline (and same additives) as the more expensive places, but can be a different brand every week. I doubt if Kroger does anything other than resell gasoline from the larger oil companies. But I hear the way it works is they simply buy the gasoline from Chevron, Shell, Exxon or other major oil companies where the price is lowest at that time.

-Don-

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    ...Often it's the same gasoline (and same additives) as the more expensive places, but can be a different brand every week. I doubt if Kroger does anything other than resell gasoline from the larger oil companies. But I hear the way it works is they simply buy the gasoline from Chevron, Shell, Exxon or other major oil companies where the price is lowest at that time. -Don-
    I think you've got that right. Here, there's the two pipelines, one running east to west and the other west to east, that run right by a big tank farm. When a truck needs filling they dump it full of the octane number needed while adding in the flow the additives required for that brand name.

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "Worst fuel seems to be at Sam's Warehouse, the Kroger supermarket that sells fuel, and Mapco Express."

What problems did you have in what type of vehicles and what is the octane number? Some places sell 85 octane, but all my cars are fine with it, even at sea level, but I don't think it's sold in CA.

I never saw a Kroger (or Smith's) here in CA. But I see a lot of then around my home in the Reno, NV area.

IMO, in many cases the cheaper gasoline can be better, simply because it usually sells faster. Often it's the same gasoline (and same additives) as the more expensive places, but can be a different brand every week. I doubt if Kroger does anything other than resell gasoline from the larger oil companies. But I hear the way it works is they simply buy the gasoline from Chevron, Shell, Exxon or other major oil companies where the price is lowest at that time.

-Don-

All local gasoline comes from the same tanks at the same terminus on the pipeline. Differences between local stations can really only be down to additive packages, dealer volume, and the condition of the tanks.

Still, I seem to get worse economy on the no-name stuff, compared to Exxon, and a barely noticeable feeling that performance just isn't quite all there.

I ran 87 in my Honda, 93 in the VW. The Honda was more picky.

DonTom

"Still, I seem to get worse economy on the no-name stuff, compared to Exxon, and a barely noticeable feeling that performance just isn't quite all there."

If you let somebody else fill up your gas tank when you are not around to watch, I bet you could not tell if it's cheap or more expensive gasoline.

I used to check my MPG almost every fill up in every vehicle and I never noticed any difference with different brands of gasoline.

Most of this was done in CA, and our gasoline has different junk in it than other states. It seems to me, since the EFI days, any gas can be put in any car without noticing any difference. Even if the gas is a couple of years old. However, I never owned a vehicle during this time period that required more than 87 octane.

-Don-

$2.19/2.31/2.43 today at the corner Exxon.

DonTom

I found gas stations more expensive than South San Francisco. San Bruno, just south of SSF, is asking $3.699 for 87. This was two days ago. Most gas stations in San Francisco are below $3.00, but just a few miles south it gets more expensive.

-Don-

93 Octane at Exxon in West Virginia today during my trip was $2.09

87 Octane was $1.97 last time I filled up. I think it's even lower now.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

$2.09/2.21/2.33 here now.

DonTom
    $2.239 in Rocklin, CA on the way up here to Reno, NV where it's $2.429 or so. It's more than a buck more than these prices south of SF where I came from.

-Don-

DonTom
    I wish people here in this thread would say WHERE in each and every message. I cannot keep track of where everybody is from.

The gasoline prices without the location is meaningless.

-Don- (Reno, NV)

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    I wish people here in this thread would say WHERE in each and every message. I cannot keep track of where everybody is from.

The gasoline prices without the location is meaningless.

-Don- (Reno, NV)
    Look under my avatar...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    Look under my avatar...
    We slipped under $2 per here in SW Virginia this weekend.. $1.98! But how long will it last?

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    We slipped under $2 per here in SW Virginia this weekend.. $1.98! But how long will it last?
    It is still about 2.13-2.19 around here in central FL. I have noticed an increase in traffic since prices went below $2.25.