Thread: British Steam

British Steam

For you rail fanatics out there............

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/aud...&vxBitrate=300
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.

Re: British Steam

That is beautiful but so so unreal!

oi would like to to tell you how to fire an engine, boy

I'll find some old film of people actually there, but few people had cameras.

Here is a very British Art Video of the time.

At least in style,

It is showing various thing; rich people , firemen, men who shovelled coal for a pittance...

But the video has no understanding...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTP3IPi-fug&NR=1

and here before high speed electric trains, is where the fastest trains went...

this is not real. Well, it it is, sort of..

Real is is cold and hard and no heating in homes, except coal, ...

The driver checks his watch because the time-keeping was never certain, you will see the steam trains opposing. even near London Euston...
    which makes film difficullt because it is pre-1964, making 70mph average, faster than cars do today.

The line was built in the 1840s with cheap labour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BndXSRwftpc&NR=1

Oops.

I forgot to thank you for showing this nostalgia.

The link in your post shows the kind of person I can respect, the fireman particularly, because firing these engines is not as simple as thowing coal into the firebox.

In real life those fires are so hot they will scorch the strongest clothes short of NASA firefighters in 5 secs; and it wasn't just the firebox, often 6' x 7' grate area with a brick arch, subjected to the severe vibration of the mechanical side, often 60,000 miles without overhaul... but the building of a fire was partly the kind of coal, dust, stones were common, and the design of the engine.

Coal was loaded into an engine with sometimes 1' x 1' lumps or even bigger, and the shovel had to take coal from the scuttle at the tender-front at a rate on 'building a fire' of several shovel-loads per minute, which when the cab was roaring and shaking was a bit of an art.

The fireman would also be looking for signals sometimes, and with a good fire and a good engine and a good driver you might have 11 carriages behind and rolling down towards Glasgow, still 80 miles away, the London-based engine might have been handed-over near Carlisle (stop only for crew change) running late and weather bad, and the driver is getting a few double yellows... then green and really let her run on the downhill, 80, 90mph and he is touching brakes now and nods to me when I ask in the roaring air, more fire; stamp on the pedal, firing coal left, right, he looks at me, a twist of the head says no more, the glasses are even, and we are now five minutes late, the engine is being 'let down' with pressure momentarily at 225 lbs. And still 50 miles, the weather is now just cold and wet, and bits of sunlight, the driver still has a smooth 70mph on, brings cutoff up to 25% for a while on the long curves, back to 15% and in the cold air we go over the last summit and get no great trouble at Glasgow.

Having arrived at Glasgow we had been 5 minutes late and we stopped three trains from leaving on time.

A man in a suit nods to me as he walks by the engine, exhuasted engine, with 393 miles.
    A small engine draws the cars back, all busy, and we get a ground signal , reversing, clunck clunck, and the engine has to walk back to the complex tracks and signals...