Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High metal prices causing increase in chop shops

High metal prices causing increase in chop shops

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2930190/

“We're dealing with a lot of stolen vehicles and stolen parts for metals. It's very expensive and the price is high for metals,” Butler added.
    So if you have a higher-end car with lots of high-strength steel, magnesium, etc. be wary. The thieves no longer want just the electronics and trim pieces, but the whole car body as well.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Re: High metal prices causing increase in chop shops

I have no worry then, mine are mainly cheap plastic.

thank goodness mine is fiberglass.... oh wait lol
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    I have no worry then, mine are mainly cheap plastic.
    We want your computer, lad...

in trolling through the pages of car ads, as I am wont to do, I see a lot of large utility style vehicles. Ford F250, Chrysler SRT pickups.

Are these things still selling? Who lives with 15mpg these days? As an everyday cost? Do they just blame the gummint?

We have an entire class of people who say they are poor, yet fill supermarket trolleys with coca-cola and ice cream and some even have cigarettes, ... they are maybe a bit like Americans driving big vehicles for every purpose, where much of the world pays taxes to fund public transport.

Either that or you drive Fiat Unos

just got a glitch in posting, sorry, the above was blocked for a moment

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg

We have an entire class of people who say they are poor, yet fill supermarket trolleys with coca-cola and ice cream and some even have cigarettes, ... they are maybe a bit like Americans driving big vehicles for every purpose, where much of the world pays taxes to fund public transport.
    Our poor get so-called "food stamps," useful only for food. So, they go through the line with separate piles of stuff, the food stamp eligible in one, the cigarettes and beer in the other.

This is a good deal because cigarette smokers die earlier and cost the system less overall.

Did you know that sub-orbital rockets cannot be made cheaply in America because such as NASA have no access to good carbon-fibre tech, but have US military tech which is based on metals?

You cannot even make rockets with modern materials... guess why you joined with Russians? They had Maeratis, you had Fords.

We have a better carbon-fibre industry here than the USA and we are nearly Third World...

Face it, America is a consumer nation with no government.

Did you know that sub-orbital rockets cannot be made cheaply in America because such as NASA have no access to good carbon-fibre tech, but have US military tech which is based on metals?

You cannot even make rockets with modern materials... guess why you joined with Russians? They had Maeratis, you had Fords.

We have a better carbon-fibre industry here than the USA and we are nearly Third World...

Carbon fiber material is no more than plastic reinforced by carbon fibers rather than glass.

I know nothing about either material except that you are no doubt in error.

But carbon fiber cannot be repaired.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Maybe that is why it hasn't caught on as a car body material.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    But carbon fiber cannot be repaired.

Chip H.
    Actually carbon Fibre can be repaired almost as easily as GRP. Details of a couple of typcal repair processes are shown below. These are extracts from a major Auto Carbon Fibre components manufacturers data. The accompanying diagrams, unfortunately, do not copy across.

Ken.

REPAIRS
    Cured composites are very suitable to being bonded & repaired. The size and location of the defective area needs to be established, which is not always visible, as the failure or impact damage can have wide spread hidden de-lamination. A simple tap test will reveal defective areas, with a dull sound indicating damage. The extent of the damage can be mapped using this simple technique. For safety critical areas ultrasonic, x-ray or infrared thermography inspection techniques should be used to identify the extent of the defect.

Bonded Repairs
    For cosmetic repairs on painted parts a filler or adhesive such as 3M DP490 is suitable. For clear epoxy carbon cosmetic repairs a clear epoxy adhesive such as 3M DP100 is spread/injected into the damaged area. Once set the surface may be flatted and polished.

For structural damage then two types of repairs can be used, flush scarf patches and external patches. Again we recommend 3M DP490 (black) for service temps upto 90°c, or DP760 (white) for service temps above this. For bonded joint repairs the viscosity of these products is fine, but for laminated repairs the mixed adhesive needs to be warmed carefully with a heat gun to drop its viscosity and allow easy impregnation of the dry fibre mat. Alternatively laminating repairs can be made with a suitable laminating resin system.
    N.B. Nylon peel ply can be applied onto the back of wet laminated parts to improve the surface finish. Once cured this can be ripped off to leave a consistent fine grit finish.

Flush Scarf Patches
    Used where surface smoothness is required to disguise the repair and provide the highest joint efficiency, with a strength approaching that of the original structure. Thick monolithic structures are ideal for such repairs. Patches can be cured on the damaged laminates, or pre-cured and then bonded to the damaged component. If the gap between the scarfed laminates is great then the part may need to go back into a released mould tool. If a mould tool is not available then you may need to make a mould tool section from another PVA, silicone taped or Simonz wax released donor part. The mould need only be made slightly larger than the localised repair area and can be made quickly and simply from AVHV1580 epoxy repair putty available from www.johnburn.co.uk. Alternatively if the damaged area was simple you may be able to bridge across with 2-3mm thick sheet wax, again available from www.johnburn.co.uk

External Patches
    A visible repair that is simple to apply requiring less preparation than a scarf repair. It can be applied as layers of wet laminate or as a bonded-on pre-cured patch. The disadvantage is the uneven load path. The patch will therefore see high peel and sheer stresses at the damaged edge, with the resulting repair approximately 60% the strength of the original structure. Sometimes a thinner external patch can be used with a scarf laminated repair on the reverse side, to bring the strength back.

Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

D_E_Davis

Best you be cold sober before you post again, lest we be subjected to drivel similar to this. Carbon-fiber manufacture and usage has been alive and well in the US for some 35 years (at least). It started up in aviation, but production has grown enough, and costs have therefore dropped enough, that such prosaic usages as golf clubs are now of carbon-fiber.

BTW - it warmed last week to a pleasant 40C, so summer must be near.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    had Fords.

Best you be cold sober before you post again, lest we be subjected to drivel similar to this. Carbon-fiber manufacture and usage has been alive and well in the US for some 35 years (at least). It started up in aviation, but production has grown enough, and costs have therefore dropped enough, that such prosaic usages as golf clubs are now of carbon-fiber.

[/quote]

Now that you mention it, I believe that Burt Rutan of Scaled Composites is a big carbon-fiber fan. The yet to be put in service also has a lot of the stuff.

Chop shops have been a problem for years and will continue to be one. Maybe the reasons will change but they will stay around. Prior to 1984, Kentucky didn't have titles but rather bills of sale. I ran a salvage yard from 1980-84 and the police checked my books on a regular basis. The reason for a chop shop is fast and easy money.

For instance, when Kentucky had a bill of sale, someone could steal a car from Indiana which did have titles then and slip their cousin Bobbi Sue $20 and when she went to work in the court house, she would get them a bill of sale. Then the thief and accomplice would sawp the car back and forth several times. It is now so muddled that by the time the car showed up as stolen, if ever, they were long gone. I remember hearing about a Mustang that was stolen east of here. 6 months later, the owner walked out his front door to see it sitting on a car lot across the street from his house. The thief also forgot to use an alias and had used his own name when transfering the title.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

Chop shops have been a problem for years and will continue to be one. Maybe the reasons will change but they will stay around. Prior to 1984, Kentucky didn't have titles but rather bills of sale. I ran a salvage yard from 1980-84 and the police checked my books on a regular basis. The reason for a chop shop is fast and easy money.

For instance, when Kentucky had a bill of sale, someone could steal a car from Indiana which did have titles then and slip their cousin Bobbi Sue $20 and when she went to work in the court house, she would get them a bill of sale. Then the thief and accomplice would sawp the car back and forth several times. It is now so muddled that by the time the car showed up as stolen, if ever, they were long gone. I remember hearing about a Mustang that was stolen east of here. 6 months later, the owner walked out his front door to see it sitting on a car lot across the street from his house. The thief also forgot to use an alias and had used his own name when transfering the title.
    Theft of classic muscle cars is also becoming a huge problem. That and "fake" muscle cars that are done up with repro bits and pieces (often with results so good it is extremely difficult to tell the fake Le Mans from the real GTO)...

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    had Fords.

Now that you mention it, I believe that Burt Rutan of Scaled Composites is a big carbon-fiber fan. The yet to be put in service also has a lot of the stuff.
    [/quote]

Sub-orbital rocket tech in the USA is hamstrung by being parts of the US aeronautics-instrustrial tradition which is relatively stronger in metals than lightweight fibe compounds, Dennis.

Time you got out of the sun.

D_E_Davis

Sub-orbital rocket tech in the USA is hamstrung by being parts of the US aeronautics-instrustrial tradition which is relatively stronger in metals than lightweight fibe compounds, Dennis.

Time you got out of the sun.
    And just what do you sheep-farmers know about sub-orbital, or orbital, or inter-planet tech? It was not an EnZed crew who got yet another lander safely down on Mars yesterday. I suggest you stick to checking SU needles for signs of wear.

And, staying in the sun has helped my dermatologist become affluent.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Theft of classic muscle cars is also becoming a huge problem. That and "fake" muscle cars that are done up with repro bits and pieces (often with results so good it is extremely difficult to tell the fake Le Mans from the real GTO)...

I've had opportunities to make some fast bucks but refuse to sell something as other than what I know it to be. I had a '72 El Camino that was, I thought, a really good clone. I could have made big bucks by just telling someone it was genuine but prefer to keep my reputation intact. The fellow who bought it put it on a rotisserie and found the build sheet. There it was, Z15. Cleaning all the layers of paint off the data plate came up with it too. The car was an actual SS trim car from the factory. Ah well, that's the way things go.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric

I've had opportunities to make some fast bucks but refuse to sell something as other than what I know it to be. I had a '72 El Camino that was, I thought, a really good clone. I could have made big bucks by just telling someone it was genuine but prefer to keep my reputation intact. The fellow who bought it put it on a rotisserie and found the build sheet. There it was, Z15. Cleaning all the layers of paint off the data plate came up with it too. The car was an actual SS trim car from the factory. Ah well, that's the way things go.
    Ouch!~

Well, you tried to do the right thing; I would do the same. it's supremely uncool to knowingly dick someone by pawning off a fake muscle car. And given the price disparity between, say, an authentic 440 'Cuda and a 318 Barracuda, big-time fraud, too....

And just what do you sheep-farmers know about sub-orbital, or orbital, or inter-planet tech? It was not an EnZed crew who got yet another lander safely down on Mars yesterday. I suggest you stick to checking SU needles for signs of wear.

And, staying in the sun has helped my dermatologist become affluent.
    We make rockets as an entertaining pastime, and can put your ashes into space and retrieve them intact for$2,000. (should you wish)... apparently there is a large market for this sort of thing in the USA.

The polycarbonates used have to have properties a bit more exacting than golf clubs.

I think NASA is severely underfunded, and does alright, but the US military couldn't even build a roll of toilet paper for under a million dollars.