Thread: Scooters.....

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Scooters.....

I see more and more scoooters - not surprising given the cost of fuel (and where I live, routine 60-mile daily commutes into "town").

Have any of you thought about getting one?

They're not for me; if it gets really harsh, gas-wise, I will use my motorcycles more - esp. my 250 cc dual sport, which can get 70 mpg and, unlike a Scooter, isn't like a really fat girl (fun to ride, but don't let your friends see you doing it).....

Staff

Re: Scooters.....

I may be getting a motorcycle for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    I may be getting a motorcycle for that reason.
    Henry,

My old college roomate currently owns the '83 CB550 SC Nighthawk I used to own; the bike has just under 20,000 miles and is in very solid shape. I rebuilt the front end for my friend about a year ago (new internal fork seals, fluid, dust boots, etc.) and other than needing a new starter switch and a tune-up (it has been sitting in my friend's garage for several months) it is ready to go. The CB550 is a "standard" with an air-cooled DOHC in-line four-cylinder and six-speed transmission with shaft drive. This is a great bike; not too small - not too big. It has "legs" enough for the highway - runs the 1/4 mile in about 13 seconds - and gets 50 mpg.

I think my friend would take $1,500 for this bike. If interested, let me know and I'll give him a call! (Here's a pic of the bike from several years back; it's not as shiny and near-perfect as it is here - thanks, Joe - but this gives you an idea what it looks like.)

Staff

Thats a pretty darn good deal. I am about 5"5" with a 27" inseam, kinda like Michael. Do you think that I could fit this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Thats a pretty darn good deal. I am about 5"5" with a 27" inseam, kinda like Michael. Do you think that I could fit this one?
    Hard to say without having you actually try the bike; but maybe I can get Mike (he lives near me) to come over to Joe's and see if it fits him. If it does, it'd probably fit you, too!

In the past year, I've had 4 different scooters looking for the ideal size/weight for my personal use. I finally settled on a Suzuki Burgman 400. It's a great comprimise between the 250cc scooters that will barely run 70 and the 650cc that will run over 100---
    I started out with a Honda Helix--250cc 60 MPG and on a good day would do 70. It is the barcalounger of scooters-- very comfortable, but lacks enough power to feel safe on the freeway. It also is easily blown around in the wind because of its old front fork design and body.
    Sold that and bough a Honda Silverwing-- a 600cc powerhouse that weighed in at 550 pounds dry. This was a real power machine and would give most Harley's a really bad time between stoplights. Averaged 45MPG and had one of the most uncomfortable seats imaginable.
    Sold that after 6 months and went back to a Helix again as an interim while I looked for the right deal on a Burgman 400. I didn't want the 650 because it weighed more than the Silverwing and would have been a real PITA pushing it around the garage for parking. I have a friend who has a Burgman 650 and if you want the smoothest maxi-scooter available, this is it--- it is one fine machine and a real road worthy ride if long distance scooting is your bag.
    My 2006 Burgman 400 does well on the road, is very good in wind compared to the Helix and gets the same gas mileage as the Helix-- 60 MPG.
    I don't have an image problem like some folks do and have no problem riding this with the Harley Boys who always ask a lot of questions after they find out that I can keep up with them on a road run. Scooters are a helluva lot more comfortable to ride than crotch rockets, and with the proper windshield, you don't even get wet in the rain as long as you are moving. The Air horn I added, makes the assholes who claim they don't see you pay attention!

DonTom

"I may be getting a motorcycle for that reason."

And I am still thinking about buying a RV. But this might not be as dumb as it sounds, as there are many bargains in the RV market right now (new and used). Save enough to buy enough gasoline for many thousands of miles, even at above $4.00 per gallon.

I am thinking about something like this:

http://www.travelandusa.com/McMahonsRV/Specials/0207/2007-winnebago-sightseer-26p.cfm

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    In the past year, I've had 4 different scooters looking for the ideal size/weight for my personal use. I finally settled on a Suzuki Burgman 400. It's a great comprimise between the 250cc scooters that will barely run 70 and the 650cc that will run over 100---
    I started out with a Honda Helix--250cc 60 MPG and on a good day would do 70. It is the barcalounger of scooters-- very comfortable, but lacks enough power to feel safe on the freeway. It also is easily blown around in the wind because of its old front fork design and body.
    Sold that and bough a Honda Silverwing-- a 600cc powerhouse that weighed in at 550 pounds dry. This was a real power machine and would give most Harley's a really bad time between stoplights. Averaged 45MPG and had one of the most uncomfortable seats imaginable.
    Sold that after 6 months and went back to a Helix again as an interim while I looked for the right deal on a Burgman 400. I didn't want the 650 because it weighed more than the Silverwing and would have been a real PITA pushing it around the garage for parking. I have a friend who has a Burgman 650 and if you want the smoothest maxi-scooter available, this is it--- it is one fine machine and a real road worthy ride if long distance scooting is your bag.
    My 2006 Burgman 400 does well on the road, is very good in wind compared to the Helix and gets the same gas mileage as the Helix-- 60 MPG.
    I don't have an image problem like some folks do and have no problem riding this with the Harley Boys who always ask a lot of questions after they find out that I can keep up with them on a road run. Scooters are a helluva lot more comfortable to ride than crotch rockets, and with the proper windshield, you don't even get wet in the rain as long as you are moving. The Air horn I added, makes the assholes who claim they don't see you pay attention!
    Nice write-up, Jim - thanks!

Might use this on the front page as a "mini-review" - if that's ok w/you?

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "I may be getting a motorcycle for that reason."

And I am still thinking about buying a RV. But this might not be as dumb as it sounds, as there are many bargains in the RV market right now (new and used). Save enough to buy enough gasoline for many thousands of miles, even at above $4.00 per gallon.

I am thinking about something like this:

http://www.travelandusa.com/McMahonsRV/Specials/0207/2007-winnebago-sightseer-26p.cfm

-Don-
    Our neighbors are into RVs and have two ... I had never been inside one before. Have to say, I was impressed. You could live in one of these things. I had this image in my head of a low-rent mobile mobile home/trailer. Not like that at all. Of course, I think they paid nearly $100k for this thing, so considerably more than the typical singl wide!

DonTom

"You could live in one of these things. "

Many people do, (called "fulltimers") including my own sister. There are a lot of advantages of such, such as always living where the weather is best for the season. For an example, many RVer's who live in Canada spend the entire winter in Mexico, each and every year.

But most people who are fulltimers have a larger RV than the one shown. Fulltimers often have a 40 foot long RV. The one you just looked at is only 26 feet long. The shortest "Class A" (bus like) RV made. Our old RV was a Class C (more like a large Van). Class B is a Van Conversion.

I certainly could live in a RV all year, but Tom feels he must have a "home base" somewhere. So we have two home bases, and will use a RV for a trip once in a while.

Can't take the doggies on a scooter!

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Go for it--- My 15 minutes of fame! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Go for it--- My 15 minutes of fame! ;D
    Excellent - thanks!