Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Six things new cars ought to have but usually don't

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Six things new cars ought to have but usually don't

Quote Originally Posted by hwyhawg
    Ok, peop5le. It makes perfect sense to have a column stalk for dimming/high beam IF YOU HAVE A STANDARD TRANSMISSION. My last shifter was a 1995 GMC Sierra 1500. So I'll concede this point. But for those of us who have moved in the automatic direction (which is probably about 70% of us now), dimming IS more cumbersome. Following reasons:

1) Let's be honest. Most of us are one-handed drivers. If you're resting your left arm on your factory-installed, OEM arm rest (meaning that's what it's for), then you have to react quickly to flip your dimmer. Also, now that we have he dubious airbag, optimal hand position has shifted from the traditional 10 o'clock/2 o'clock position to the 8 o'clock/4 o'clock position. This, again, causes delay in response to dimming for an oncoming car.

2) As mentioned above, now that these steeering column stalks are multi-purpose, it's too easy to make mistakes. In my own car, with which I am perfectly well acquainted, dimming can still cause me to activate a turn signal, especially if I'm having to react quickly. And God forbid if you're driving someone else's car or a rental. You're liable to get a windshield full of washer fluid and wipers instead of dimming.

If the auto's an automatic, give me back my floor dimmer. If the problem is finding it, our fine automakers should make it luminescent or something. Hope I hear an "amen" from Eric on this. If so, case closed!

hwyhawg
    Amen! ;D

Islander

Cheers All !
    Flow thru vents worked great !! My 1985 Bonneville had 2 pull levers the opened up either passenger or driver , or both vents. It was nice and quiet, kept the air in the car fresh, didn't cause aerodynamic problems and wasn't a drain on the engine and a/c components. So simple but manufacturers seen to overlook the simple and replace with overkill , complicated, or hard and costly to replace components.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Islander
    Cheers All !
    Flow thru vents worked great !! My 1985 Bonneville had 2 pull levers the opened up either passenger or driver , or both vents. It was nice and quiet, kept the air in the car fresh, didn't cause aerodynamic problems and wasn't a drain on the engine and a/c components. So simple but manufacturers seen to overlook the simple and replace with overkill , complicated, or hard and costly to replace components.

Agreed!

I used to have a '64 Corvair that I restored (and stupidly sold). It had the wing vents - as well as flow-through ducts - and the car was perfectly livable without AC ..... so long as you were moving, anyhow!

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Islander
    Cheers All !
    And when we get the flow-thru vents incorporated, have them pick up outside air that isn't heated by the engine. Both of my cars require some AC when the outside air is over 65F, from engine heat through the uninsulated ducting.

MikeHalloran

Most flow- thru vents are basically simple dampers that open into the downtube from the cowl plenum.. which carries heated air if the gasket at the after end of the hood is damaged or missing. Just something to check...

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran
    Most flow- thru vents are basically simple dampers that open into the downtube from the cowl plenum.. which carries heated air if the gasket at the after end of the hood is damaged or missing. Just something to check...
    That may be true in a few cases, but every car I've had in the past 10 years has had this problem - right from new. The problem, I think, it that the plenum isn't insulated and therefore gets quite heated from the normal running of the engine.

MikeHalloran

I understand your point, but the tubes are primary structure, and not easily insulated.

Insulating the hood might help.

So might putting an air dam in front of the plenum opening, or otherwise managing to deflect the hood-warmed air over the car while bringing less heated air into the cowl from somewhere near the cowl plenum ends, i.e. adjacent the fenders.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran
    I understand your point, but the tubes are primary structure, and not easily insulated.

Insulating the hood might help.

So might putting an air dam in front of the plenum opening, or otherwise managing to deflect the hood-warmed air over the car while bringing less heated air into the cowl from somewhere near the cowl plenum ends, i.e. adjacent the fenders.
    Hmmm - I'll have to think that over for a while. Such a dam might be doable.