Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Scooters Make The Big Time

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,635

    Scooters Make The Big Time

    http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...4.story?page=1

    Excellent article covering a variety of what's available!

  2. #2
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,997

    Re: Scooters Make The Big Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...4.story?page=1

    Excellent article covering a variety of what's available!
    I am seeing more and more scooters all the time - running the gamut from the feeble and rickety ones most of us laugh at to the big, powerful ones that (as Jim notes) can run with some Hardley Ablesons!

    They're not my bag, baby - but I have to admit that a big n' comfy 500-600 cc scooter that gets 70 mpg is a more viable everyday ride than my 250 cc dual sport - which though a real motorcycle (and which can get 60-70 mpg) is also small, light and really serviceable only for short rides; it can't carry much - hasn't got the legs for sustained highway speeds and is subject to being knocked around by crosswinds. My big bikes can be ridden everyday - but they're only good for about 40-45 mpg (if you're not running fast!)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,635

    Re: Scooters Make The Big Time

    I usually get questioned about my scooter at least once a day--- How fast-- what kind of gas mileage-- amazing amount of storage under the seat and with a top box, you can carry more groceries than you can afford. My Burgman 400 averages 57 MPG and I drive it hard. We travel at 70MPH by the GPS on the road, and in heavy traffic, usually will keep ahead of the pack.

  4. #4
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,997

    Re: Scooters Make The Big Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    I usually get questioned about my scooter at least once a day--- How fast-- what kind of gas mileage-- amazing amount of storage under the seat and with a top box, you can carry more groceries than you can afford. My Burgman 400 averages 57 MPG and I drive it hard. We travel at 70MPH by the GPS on the road, and in heavy traffic, usually will keep ahead of the pack.
    I came up behind what I thought, initially, was a middle-sized cruiser bike the other day when I was out on my ZRX.. but it was a scooter! The guy was running about 70 mph, no problem. I waved to him as I passed....

  5. #5
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: Scooters Make The Big Time

    I use mine most days. It is convenient to load stuff under the seat and on the hook between your legs. Saves putting pannier cases on my motorcycle
    The only disadvantage is that cagers seem not to like them...due to the fact that in heavy slow traffic scooters can sneak past.
    My Benelli 125 has a top speed of 115kmh which is fine for the roads around here and short runs on the motorways, where our limit is 110kmh
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628

    Re: Scooters Make The Big Time

    The fellow across the street from me just bought one.

    In his case, I think it's because the judge will now let him back on the road.
    But he still gets good mileage, I would think.

    Chip H.

    Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,635

    Re: Scooters Make The Big Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    I usually get questioned about my scooter at least once a day--- How fast-- what kind of gas mileage-- amazing amount of storage under the seat and with a top box, you can carry more groceries than you can afford. My Burgman 400 averages 57 MPG and I drive it hard. We travel at 70MPH by the GPS on the road, and in heavy traffic, usually will keep ahead of the pack.
    I came up behind what I thought, initially, was a middle-sized cruiser bike the other day when I was out on my ZRX.. but it was a scooter! The guy was running about 70 mph, no problem. I waved to him as I passed....
    There are a couple of those scooters that could have run with you--- The Burgman 650 and the Silverwing--- both capable of a little over 100MPH, and can cruise at 90 all day---

  8. #8
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: Scooters Make The Big Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose


    There are a couple of those scooters that could have run with you--- The Burgman 650 and the Silverwing--- both capable of a little over 100MPH, and can cruise at 90 all day---
    The thought of those speeds on those small wheels is a bit alarming I reckon..... only needs a big pot hole and yikes

    What do your governments charge for annual registration? I pay the same for my 125cc scooter as I do for my 850cc motorcycle
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

  9. #9
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,997

    Re: Scooters Make The Big Time

    "There are a couple of those scooters that could have run with you--- The Burgman 650 and the Silverwing--- both capable of a little over 100MPH, and can cruise at 90 all day---"

    They have come a long way..... no question.

    One thing I wonder about, though... . Used to be one didn't need to get a motorcycle endorsement for scooter; but that was in the days when "scooter" meant max speed about 45 mph.....

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,635

    Re: Scooters Make The Big Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    "There are a couple of those scooters that could have run with you--- The Burgman 650 and the Silverwing--- both capable of a little over 100MPH, and can cruise at 90 all day---"

    They have come a long way..... no question.

    One thing I wonder about, though... . Used to be one didn't need to get a motorcycle endorsement for scooter; but that was in the days when "scooter" meant max speed about 45 mph.....
    Most states require the MC endorsement-- A kid I know got a ticket for not having his and that was after I kep't telling him that if he gets stopped, he'll be toast.
    If you take the MC safety course, no driving test is required. Just pass the written.

  11. #11
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: Scooters Make The Big Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...4.story?page=1

    Excellent article covering a variety of what's available!
    I am seeing more and more scooters all the time - running the gamut from the feeble and rickety ones most of us laugh at to the big, powerful ones that (as Jim notes) can run with some Hardley Ablesons!

    They're not my bag, baby - but I have to admit that a big n' comfy 500-600 cc scooter that gets 70 mpg is a more viable everyday ride than my 250 cc dual sport - which though a real motorcycle (and which can get 60-70 mpg) is also small, light and really serviceable only for short rides; it can't carry much - hasn't got the legs for sustained highway speeds and is subject to being knocked around by crosswinds. My big bikes can be ridden everyday - but they're only good for about 40-45 mpg (if you're not running fast!)
    I have been doing research on scooters and bikes and have found that a 500-600 cc scooter will get mileage in the low to high 50's at highway speeds (70 or better), not 60-70 mpg. Scooters have the advantage of a lot of storage space, which would make them good for commuting, although they seem to run out of breath much above 75 mph.

    The advantage of scooters is that you don't have to do the shifting.

    I guess that you could add storage space to a scooter or a bike by using those extra add on accessories on the sides or the rear of the bike, but my question would be if they would really negatively affect the balance...

    Does the above make sense? I haven't actually ridden a bike in ages, so I don't really know....

    As for my potential choices, I like the Suzuki Burgman 400 that Jim rides, but I also like the Suzuki S50...

    Any ideas?

  12. #12
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: Scooters Make The Big Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry

    I have been doing research on scooters and bikes and have found that a 500-600 cc scooter will get mileage in the low to high 50's at highway speeds (70 or better), not 60-70 mpg. Scooters have the advantage of a lot of storage space, which would make them good for commuting, although they seem to run out of breath much above 75 mph.

    The advantage of scooters is that you don't have to do the shifting.

    I guess that you could add storage space to a scooter or a bike by using those extra add on accessories on the sides or the rear of the bike, but my question would be if they would really negatively affect the balance...

    Does the above make sense? I haven't actually ridden a bike in ages, so I don't really know....

    As for my potential choices, I like the Suzuki Burgman 400 that Jim rides, but I also like the Suzuki S50...

    Any ideas?
    I reckon if I was going to buy something of 650cc I wiluld be looking at motorcycle unless you have an aversion to them.
    I bought my 125cc scooter for a Brisbane city commute. I had nver had it above about 70kmh around town and then when I moved north I rode it on the old highway at 90kmh, got t the main highway and was going to continue on the old highway but dammit the scooter wanted the main highway so I held the throttle open to hit 115kmh (70mph) I reckon that is fast enough for thise small wheels. Scooter is still my local commute but the motorcycle is for the highway now at a more relaxed high speed.

    I have a top box on the back for a maximum of 3kgs weight, so keep my wet gear in there. there is room \under the seat for a couple o shopping bags or helmet when not in use, and hook between legs for another shopping bag
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

  13. #13
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: Scooters Make The Big Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose

    Most states require the MC endorsement-- A kid I know got a ticket for not having his and that was after I kep't telling him that if he gets stopped, he'll be toast.
    If you take the MC safety course, no driving test is required. Just pass the written.
    Need that for anything over 50cc here in QLD. but that might soon change
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,635

    Re: Scooters Make The Big Time

    [
    I am seeing more and more scooters all the time - running the gamut from the feeble and rickety ones most of us laugh at to the big, powerful ones that (as Jim notes) can run with some Hardley Ablesons!

    They're not my bag, baby - but I have to admit that a big n' comfy 500-600 cc scooter that gets 70 mpg is a more viable everyday ride than my 250 cc dual sport - which though a real motorcycle (and which can get 60-70 mpg) is also small, light and really serviceable only for short rides; it can't carry much - hasn't got the legs for sustained highway speeds and is subject to being knocked around by crosswinds. My big bikes can be ridden everyday - but they're only good for about 40-45 mpg (if you're not running fast!)
    [/quote]

    I have been doing research on scooters and bikes and have found that a 500-600 cc scooter will get mileage in the low to high 50's at highway speeds (70 or better), not 60-70 mpg. Scooters have the advantage of a lot of storage space, which would make them good for commuting, although they seem to run out of breath much above 75 mph.

    The advantage of scooters is that you don't have to do the shifting.

    I guess that you could add storage space to a scooter or a bike by using those extra add on accessories on the sides or the rear of the bike, but my question would be if they would really negatively affect the balance...

    Does the above make sense? I haven't actually ridden a bike in ages, so I don't really know....

    As for my potential choices, I like the Suzuki Burgman 400 that Jim rides, but I also like the Suzuki S50...

    Any ideas?
    [/quote]

    If you do any freeway travel at all, you will want at least 250 CC. They will allow you to cruise at freeway speeds, but run out of breath at about 70MPH. The 650 Burgman will not run out of breath till about 100MPH. It is the "Cadillac" of scooters. The Honda Silverwing falls in line next, but as a comprimise, after riding a Silverwing for 6 months and driving my friend's Burgman 650, The Burgman 400 will cruise all day at 70MPH and still have enough reserve power to take you up to 90 if necessary.
    It also depends upon your psysical stature--- if your inseam is short, I recommend not trying the 600CC scooters because you'll have trouble flatfooting them when stopped. They also weigh in at over 500 pounds and are hard to push around the garage when parking or backing up. You'll have to decide what size fits you best.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: Scooters Make The Big Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    Scooters have the advantage of a lot of storage space, which would make them good for commuting, although they seem to run out of breath much above 75 mph.

    The advantage of scooters is that you don't have to do the shifting.

    I guess that you could add storage space to a scooter or a bike by using those extra add on accessories on the sides or the rear of the bike, but my question would be if they would really negatively affect the balance...

    I certainly don't use my scooter for long rides on the highway. I consider my 25min commute really easy, and the speed limit is 100kmh /60mph.

    I see Vespa are dropping their classic scooter and its twist gear change. How long have they been around??

    I have not seen scooters here with side panniers, but with the top boxes on the rear which have a weight limit of about 4kgs,I guess depends on scooter model though. I think the idea is to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible with their smaller wheels.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Similar Threads

  1. Some scooters are better than others
    By chiph in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 01:44 AM
  2. JDM: Time for you to make some sacrifices
    By chiph in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2008, 07:27 PM
  3. Scooters.....
    By Eric in forum Fight Traffic Tickets/Driving Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-25-2008, 12:39 PM
  4. Scooters
    By chiph in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 12:30 PM
  5. Scooters in Australia
    By Kwozzie1 in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2006, 10:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •