Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2008 Ford Mustang GT – The Perfect Package

Re: 2008 Ford Mustang GT – The Perfect Package

Jillsuncle,

We are lucky to have available in the US market a new Mustang GT that can hit the 1/4 mile in the same time a SCJ 428 Mustang from yesteryear could for a paltry $28K. The Mustang GT will please most Muscle Car fans. How is the GT's high 13 second 1/4 mile time only good enough to make it a "starter platform"? In the real world most people don't need 11 second or less 1/4 mile cars.

As for the new 5.7 Hemi, it's a pity it's made in Mexico however it's a very reliable motor (I wish it were made in the US). It has made Ward's Top 10 Motors List several times, it would not have if it was unreliable.

Just out of curiosity what do you drive that makes a new stock Mustang GT seem not fast enough?

My understanding is that Hemis are reliable, stock, but tuned ones can blow up quite easily.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jillsuncle
    Eric,

Your diplomacy knows no boundaries. I have driven a 2007 GT and it struck me as a great "Starter Platform". The fact that it burns 87 octane fuel shouts "de-tuned" engine. I recommend dropping a Supercharger on that baby and never having to open up the engine block. For an additional 7 to 10 G's you can blow away a GT500 probably not the 550. Those cars have that HOG 5.4 that needs Jenny Craig and they probably don't handle as well as a base GT.

Anyway don't tell your Insurance Agent - Hot Rod your Lame Mobile into something that everyone should want to roll in. Be advised anything less than a 3:73 rear end is going to ponderously slow (In my opinion). You can get 4:10 gears very reasonably and any idiot can install them. With this rear axle and the Supercharger jacked up for 93 Octane you can still go 140+ MPH. How often do we do that? Even Club racing for Class B Prepared seldom go over 140 mph due to the roadcourses on the circuit. If the track has a decent straightaway maybe 3:73 gears are the answer. Chevy makes a great car - A Corvette. The new Camaro will not sell like the Mustang and never will. The Mopar equivalent is fast but has very questionable quality control. Can you say "blown Hemi". Mexican Hemi's are known for their stellar reliability NOT, and they need a 50 gallon gas tank as they SUCK fuel.

Later Folks Vroller :
    Vic!

It is good to see you here again!

On the Mustang: Our sense of "fast" has become kinda warped. I agree with Pete (see above) that a stock Mustang GT is a lot more respectable than a mere "starter platform." Solid 13 second quarters is better than most any '60s-era muscle car - and the GT's 140-plus top speed smokes most of them there, too.

That ain't bad in my book!

Light mods can get you into the 12s - and that is not just extremely quick by any measure, it's also quick enough to beat (easily) 99 percent of the cars on the road - and keep in sight of the 1 percent that are capable of quicker ETs.

But my priorities have changed a little. For me, a 13 second car is plenty adequate. I'm not into spending the silly money necessary to get a car to run in the 11s (or even the 12s). Because I can buy a stone stock sport bike that can run nines for under $10k.... and it'll get 40 mpg all day long and is completely bulletptoof/reliable, too.

Now that is unbeatable! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    My understanding is that Hemis are reliable, stock, but tuned ones can blow up quite easily.
    Actually there's no truth to those rumors. There are many reliable modified new Hemis out there. Check out this book for some of the reliable performance upgrades that can be done to the new Hemi:

http://www.amazon.com/High-Performan...dp/1932494391/

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Actually there's no truth to those rumors. There are many reliable modified new Hemis out there. Check out this book for some of the reliable performance upgrades that can be done to the new Hemi:

http://www.amazon.com/High-Performan...dp/1932494391/

I, too, have never heard about problems with the Hemi V-8. I don't like that it's built in Mexico - but it appears to be a quality piece....

Staff

If gas would stay around $3.50 per gallon, I would probably look into buying a 2005-07 model. They are great looking cars and very easily modified.