Thread: Most Gridlocked US cities

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Most Gridlocked US cities

Gas prices, apparently, are still not high enough to convince some people to get out of their cars, according to a new Commuter Pain Survey released by I.B.M. Friday.

According to the 4,000 drivers I.B.M. polled in 10 major cities, only 25 percent said they would seek alternatives to driving if fuel prices at $4.00 per gallon. Another 46 percent said $4.50 was their break point.

Other questions on the survey, the first of its kind, suggest that Americans love to hate their commutes. Nearly two-thirds of those surveyed said traffic has gotten worse in the past three years, and 45 percent reported increased stress because of their commutes.

More than half of those polled in Dallas, Los Angeles and Miami said they are more stressed out. Maybe it’s all that sun.

And 27 percent said traffic has been so bad in the past three years that they have turned around and gone home on occasion. Drivers in Miami and Los Angeles topped that list, too. Another 19 percent said traffic has hurt their performance at work and school.

Despite all the hassles of hitting the road work, just 30 percent of the respondents said they wanted the option of working from home.

Curiously, drivers in New York, home to some of the nastiest traffic, are more sanguine about their commutes. Only 16 percent said traffic has affected them at work or school.

New Yorkers also had the lowest percentage — 17.6 percent — of drivers who said aggressive or rude drivers were a particular problem. Perhaps New Yorkers are immune to road hogs and road ragers, or maybe they aren’t that rude after all. For those keeping score, drivers in Los Angeles were the most annoyed.

I.B.M. created an index of commuter pain. Here is the ranking:

1. Los Angeles
    2. Atlanta
    3. Miami/Fort Lauderdale
    4. Dallas/Fort Worth
    5. Chicago and San Francisco (tied)
    6. New York
    7. Washington, D.C.
    8. Boston
    9. Minneapolis/St. Paul

D_E_Davis

Re: Most Gridlocked US cities

And LA will remain atop that list, too. With a continuing population growth, vast distances between housing and work, and a feeble public transit system it would make sense for the average worker there to live in an RV in the company lot, and only go home on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    And LA will remain atop that list, too. With a continuing population growth, vast distances between housing and work, and a feeble public transit system it would make sense for the average worker there to live in an RV in the company lot, and only go home on Friday.

It's all pretty bleak; I am grateful to the Motor Gods that I was able to hit the Eject! button and get outta that mess!

Who is I.B.M.?

Probably not International Business Machines.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Good accessment. Driving in LA will make any other commute seem like roses.

Eric,

Notice how Atlanta has come out of nowhere to the #2 spot, that area has gotten to be total gridlock. I was surprised DC was just #7 and not #3 or #4.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Exactly. I lived and worked there for 59.5 years, so traffic tieups on the Dan Ryan, or the Cross-Bronx, or the Schuylkill, or the Caldicott, I find nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete

Eric,

Notice how Atlanta has come out of nowhere to the #2 spot, that area has gotten to be total gridlock. I was surprised DC was just #7 and not #3 or #4.

You're not kidding !

Atlanta is horrible; it's even worse than DC, if such a thing is possible....