Thread: 2009 Lincoln MKS - Doomed to flop?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

2009 Lincoln MKS - Doomed to flop?

Here's the PR skinny on the new MKS flagship; Lincoln's not even a player anymore in the luxury segment, so this one's critical... .

Lincoln MKS, the new full-size sedan, makes its production debut, continuing the momentum for Lincoln and offering customers dynamic, modern design and some of the most sophisticated safety, convenience and comfort technologies available on any car.

"The Lincoln MKS ensures a high level of comfort for all passengers, thanks to a class-leading interior package," said Brett Wheatley, Lincoln Mercury general marketing manager. "Abundant space, coupled with a comprehensive suite of features and technologies, delivers the luxury experience that Lincoln customers want and deserve."

First to Embody Lincoln Design DNA

Dynamic and clean-lined, the new Lincoln MKS is the first production vehicle to embrace the Lincoln design DNA introduced on the Lincoln MKR concept.

"The Lincoln MKS is a substantial car with a well-proportioned athleticism and several signature design cues we developed after carefully auditing the best Lincoln design elements over time," says Peter Horbury, executive director of Design, The Americas. "Lincoln design has always been more discreet, exuding a kind of understated luxury, and we've designed the this luxury sedan understanding that the Lincoln owner views the MKS as a reward for hard work, not simply an outward symbol of status."

The most striking exterior design feature is the double-wing grille, inspired by the 1941 Lincoln Continental. The grille sweeps up into the jewel-like high-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps to form a single graphic element that further accentuates the face. A bright chrome Lincoln star rests prominently between the grille's wings.

Key design cues include the sculpted hood and fast-raked windshield, which forms a sleek roofline. The broad-shouldered Lincoln MKS also features a beltline that kicks up slightly over the rear wheels, another modern tribute to classic Lincoln design.

Elegant details include a polished stainless steel side window surround that finishes with a wide flourish at the front edge of the C-pillar accentuating the tapered cantrail of the cantilevered roof. Stainless steel strips also run the length of the car, framing the available twin-panel moon roof and flowing into the tall decklid.

At the rear, exquisitely detailed LED taillamps are accented by a vertical white light strip that runs along the edge of the decklid, and a horizontal chrome strip is inset with a Lincoln star.

The Lincoln MKS Interior: Meticulous Detail

The meticulously detailed 2009 Lincoln MKS delivers a precision-crafted environment resplendent in hand-wrapped premium leather as well as real wood and metal accents.

Warm and inviting, it incorporates a more modern interpretation of the symmetrical instrument panel design that also is featured in the Lincoln Navigator, MKZ sedan and MKX crossover.

The instrument panel flows horizontally from door to door, its top portion is hand-wrapped in durable, eco-friendly leatherette with double-stitching. The instrument panel is divided into upper and lower portions by a stripe of sculpted wood highlighted by a line of chrome.

Trimmed at the top in real wood, the leather-wrapped steering wheel frames an elegant instrument cluster with gauges circled with delicate chrome rings. Details of the interior design also are accented in sculpted aluminum.

"There is nothing on the cockpit that is concentrated only on the driver," Horbury said. "With Lincoln, the business-class ride is a shared experience for all on board."

Elegant and flowing surfaces create the feeling that the interior has been sculpted, rather than constructed. The flow-through center stack is topped with an integrated information screen that also serves as the screen for the available navigation system. Standard leather seats are double-stitched and feature an exclusive Lincoln perforation pattern on the inserts.

Customers can choose from three distinct interior options, all set off by Lincoln's signature cool white lighting.

A philosophy of "guilt-free luxury" means Lincoln MKS uses materials and processes that reflect the finer things in life but not at the expense of the world around them, including:

Leather for the seats by Bridge of Weir, the same Scottish company that supplied hides for the iconic Continental Mark II. Chosen for its high quality and its organic, chromium-free tanning, this is the softest leather ever used in a Lincoln.

Ebony wood, used for some models, reclaimed from furniture makers and others sources to offer a beautiful and rare wood with minimal environmental impact.
    The MKS offers best-in-class interior volume of 105.9 cubic feet and best-in-class luggage space of 18.4 cubic feet, nearly four times larger than some competitors.

New Lincoln comfort seats, developed first for the Lincoln MKS, feature side bolster support designed for spirited driving. The standard heated and cooled, 12-way power driver and front passenger seats offer four-way lumbar (up, down, inboard and outboard) for added comfort on long trips.

Rear seat passengers also enjoy a luxury experience that begins as they enter the cabin, via the largest rear-door opening of its class. MKS also offers segment-exclusive standard heated rear seats.

Recessed into the front and rear door openings, cleverly designed hidden rocker panels allow for a lower step-over height, making it easier to enter or exit the vehicle. This design shields the rockers from the elements, reducing the likelihood of soiling shoes or trousers when entering or exiting the vehicle.

Re: 2009 Lincoln MKS - Doomed to flop?

How does it compare to the current Town Car in rear seat and trunk space?

Does it have a frame? Rear wheel drive?

From the spie pics I've seen, I'm not liking it.

From the rear 3-quarter view, it looks like an Altima.

The interior appears to be a strange blend of the 1950's and 1980's.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    From the spie pics I've seen, I'm not liking it.

From the rear 3-quarter view, it looks like an Altima.

The interior appears to be a strange blend of the 1950's and 1980's.

Chip H.
    Me either.

And while I need to go check the specs. I am pretty sure the platform is FWD.... 'nuff said.

The MKS is AWD but it's a FWD based AWD so a lot of weight is up front. Ford decided to base the MKS on the Volvo S8 platform. The problem is the S8 has had a luke warm response by the auto press due to it being too heavy, a FWD based AWD platform (too heavy in the front for good handling), and its hefty price tag. My guess the MKS will be a flop.

I don't understand why Ford did not release the MKS on a stretched RWD Mustang platform like the Ford Interceptor concept car:

That's the same platform as the Ford Five Hundred/Taurus.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    The MKS is AWD but it's a FWD based AWD so a lot of weight is up front. Ford decided to base the MKS on the Volvo S8 platform. The problem is the S8 has had a luke warm response by the auto press due to it being too heavy, a FWD based AWD platform (too heavy in the front for good handling), and its hefty price tag. My guess the MKS will be a flop.

I don't understand why Ford did not release the MKS on a stretched RWD Mustang platform like the Ford Interceptor concept car:

It looks like a typical swoopy car designers love to draw. The problem is people are not swoopy. That's why SUV's sold so well. You can actually get in and out of them. Remember, the Town Car is sold mostly to older drivers. I can't see an arthritic 65 year old driver crawling into the low slung swoopy car. I have problems with it and my M-B sits when it flares up. This is an older toy though. Not my main driver.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete

It looks like a typical swoopy car designers love to draw. The problem is people are not swoopy. That's why SUV's sold so well. You can actually get in and out of them. Remember, the Town Car is sold mostly to older drivers. I can't see an arthritic 65 year old driver crawling into the low slung swoopy car. I have problems with it and my M-B sits when it flares up. This is an older toy though. Not my main driver.
    That Ford concept in the picture isn't low and swoopy, it just has very high sills.

The sills aren't the problem for an older driver. The low roof and tight doorways are. The doors appear to be reasonably large but the low roof can cause problems for someone who is mobility impaired.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

The sills aren't the problem for an older driver. The low roof and tight doorways are. The doors appear to be reasonably large but the low roof can cause problems for someone who is mobility impaired.
    This is a legitimate point; on the other hand, top-shelf luxo barges from Benz, Audi and BMW also increasingly have very steeply raked forward glass as well as low rooflines. This is the "in" style that their buyer demographic wants; and today's high-end luxury car buyer is much younger than the luxury car buyer of the past - 40s and 50s vs. 60s.

Lincoln's real problem is that it has become an irrelevance in the segment. And I don't see the MKS changing that...

I think Lincoln's new naming convention, "MK_", is idiotic. I can't tell them apart and I don't think buyers will be able to either.