Thread: Dakota Check Engine Light Question

Dakota Check Engine Light Question

I have my '97 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6 with automatic transmission. My check engine light came on about a month ago & the code was reading P0783 for 3-4 Shift Malfunction on transmission. It never gives a problem on shifting, except for an occasional delay on 1st & 2nd gear when vehicle is cold. The transmission fluid is showing no signs of need changing, as its still red, no shavings in it, no burning smell, and just some air bubbles on the dipstick that the shops all said don't worry about. I deleted the code & everything was all fine again with no check engine light, until now about a month later, it came back on. Checked it again & it was showing the same good. Deleted the code again & everything is fine again. I was told not to worry about it; as if there was an actual problem it would come on which in 50-100 miles of deleting the code, but it don't. Is this true I have nothing to worry about? What would cause this?
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

D_E_Davis

Re: Dakota Check Engine Light Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tim (bikerLBF406)
    ...The transmission fluid is showing no signs of need changing, as its still red, no shavings in it, no burning smell, and just some air bubbles on the dipstick that the shops all said don't worry about...
    If it were me, I'd get a second and even a third opinion. I had a similar problem on my Lumina, and the bubbles were the only symptom that was pertinent.

Do you remember what caused the problems on the bubbles on your Lumina?
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

DonTom

"My check engine light came on about a month ago & the code was reading P0783 for 3-4 Shift Malfunction on transmission."

It could be that's it's not shifting into overdrive, or slipping a bit in OD. Read this entire thread here:

http://www.dodgeforum.com/archive/threads/98-dakota-3.9-v6-transmission-trouble-code-539155-1.html

It probably only means your MPG won't be as good as it can be as the engine is running more RPM's than expected in the top gear.

More than likely it will get worse with more miles, but I doubt if it will leave you stuck.

Many codes need to have the condition more than one time to get a MIL or check engine light, so it can seem like it's okay for many miles and restarts before the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light ) comes on.

-Don-

D_E_Davis

Do you remember what caused the problems on the bubbles on your Lumina?
    IIRC, it was the lock-up clutch slipping.

I have my '97 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6 with automatic transmission. My check engine light came on about a month ago & the code was reading P0783 for 3-4 Shift Malfunction on transmission. It never gives a problem on shifting, except for an occasional delay on 1st & 2nd gear when vehicle is cold. The transmission fluid is showing no signs of need changing, as its still red, no shavings in it, no burning smell, and just some air bubbles on the dipstick that the shops all said don't worry about. I deleted the code & everything was all fine again with no check engine light, until now about a month later, it came back on. Checked it again & it was showing the same good. Deleted the code again & everything is fine again. I was told not to worry about it; as if there was an actual problem it would come on which in 50-100 miles of deleting the code, but it don't. Is this true I have nothing to worry about? What would cause this?

Bubbles are bad mojo. You don't want bubbles in the fluid as they are air and air doesn't lubricate the internal parts. I'd check with another garage. I can think of several things it might be. Some minor, some major and some benign.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

I got the bubbles years ago on my Mopar 46H 4-speed automatic transmission when it did not have the proper Mopar ATF+3 in it. Most of the Mopar transmission problems are fluid related. Don't ever use any 3rd party ATF in a Mopar transmission, even if it says ATF+3 and ATF+4 on it. On my dipstick on my 94 Grand Cherokee it says that you can also use Dexron III in the transmission, this is a bad faux pas by Mopar since Dexron III will destroy the transmission. Only the Mopar ATF+3 and ATF+4 have all the correct additives to keep your transmission running reliably. A Mopar transmission expert said this is the biggest mistake most people make. I caused transmission problems in mine years ago by using Mobil 1 ATF. I won't do that ever again.

BTW, ATF+3 has been phased out by Mopar, ATF+4 has replaced it. However you will need to have your transmission professionally flushed when you convert from ATF+3 to ATF+4. ATF+3 and ATF+4 don't mix well and causes gaps which lead to failure if the two are mixed according to Mopar mechanics I know. So if you are unsure what fluid is currently in your tranny, flush out the tranny at the dealer and have them put Mopar ATF+4 in. After that use only ATF+4.

My guess on the check engine light, it's probably your lockup torque converter sensor has gone bad.

And some of the 1990s Mopar 4-speed automatic truck and SUV transmissions like my 46H have transmission bands that need to be tightened every 3 years or 30,000 miles. If you don't tighten/re-adjust these bands it can cause some serious problems. Be sure to change the Mopar ATF fluid at this time and replace the transmission filter. And clean out any metal filings and junk at the bottom of the transmission pan at this time. If all thse items as prescribed by Chrysler along with using Mopar ATF you will have good reliability from your transmission.

DonTom

"On my dipstick on my 94 Grand Cherokee it says that you can also use Dexron III in the transmission, this is a bad faux pas by Mopar since Dexron III will destroy the transmission. "

But what does your owner's manual say about that? Are you sure you have the stock dipstick? I have a "1993 Grand Cherokee / Grand Wagoneer" (but I never owned one of this year) and it says to use "Mopar ATF Plus (Type 7176) preferred". It also says "DEXTRON II SHOULD BE USED ONLY IF THE RECOMMENDED FLUID IS NOT AVAILABLE. I guess that means the Dextron II is better than nothing. I guess this was even before Dextron III was available.

It says nothing about flushing when changing from one to the other.

BTW, I don't even know what type of tranny fluid my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee has in it. Whatever it is, it doesn't leak. When I bought that vehicle, it was difficult to find a Jeep Grand Cherokee that didn't have an obvious tranny leak. The Jeep I purchased had a rebuilt tranny (has some shop's tag on it) and it was the only used Jeep I could find that didn't leak a drop of tranny fluid.

If anybody here wants to buy a used Jeep, be sure to look under the vehicle first, around the tranny area. I must have looked at 50 of them before I found one that didn't have signs of a serious tranny leak.

-Don-

Don,

Thanks for the correction. You're right my dipstick does say dexron II and my owners manual says the same thing your manual says. Thanks for the correction. I bought my GC new and the dipstick is the one it came with from the factory.