Thread: Who here actually currently owns a classic/antique car?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Who here actually currently owns a classic/antique car?

Just curious how many of our "regulars" currently own an antique/classic car of some kind. I'm down to my one "keeper" - the car I'll never sell - my '76 Trans-Am. Until about three years ago, I also had a '64 Corvair but sold it due to a combination of space issues and fuzzy thinking (I wisj I had kept the car).

I am currently looking for a nice '73-'74 VW Thing.

So, how 'bout it... what do you guys currently have?

Re: Who here actually currently owns a classic/antique car?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Just curious how many of our "regulars" currently own an antique/classic car of some kind. I'm down to my one "keeper" - the car I'll never sell - my '76 Trans-Am. Until about three years ago, I also had a '64 Corvair but sold it due to a combination of space issues and fuzzy thinking (I wisj I had kept the car).

Indiana considers any vehicle 25 or more model years old to be an antique. The only thing I've got right now that meets that is my 1982 Mercedes Benz 380SL roadster and my '83 Jeep Wagoneer. Both don't get much road time. The Jeep just sits since I lost interest (and it still has a charging problem) and the 380SL only comes out if it's not raining and poopy birds aren't flying or anything else that might get it dirty. Too much time to get it to let it get dirty. My one pickup will be 25 when the '09s are out according to the state.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

Indiana considers any vehicle 25 or more model years old to be an antique. The only thing I've got right now that meets that is my 1982 Mercedes Benz 380SL roadster and my '83 Jeep Wagoneer. Both don't get much road time. The Jeep just sits since I lost interest (and it still has a charging problem) and the 380SL only comes out if it's not raining and poopy birds aren't flying or anything else that might get it dirty. Too much time to get it to let it get dirty. My one pickup will be 25 when the '09s are out according to the state.
    Same in VA - 25 years... .

But I think your '82 certainly qualifies as a collectible/classic car. And I personally have always thought Wagoneers are cool. Too bad Jeep doesn't make them anymore....

But I think your '82 certainly qualifies as a collectible/classic car. And I personally have always thought Wagoneers are cool. Too bad Jeep doesn't make them anymore....

Actually, Jeep sort of still does. The Wagoneer became the Grand Wagoner and that was redesigned to be the Grand Cherokee. The major change in '91 or '93 was for safety and to improve reliability. My niece has a Grand Cherokee and it's remarkably like my Wagoneer updated. The M-B does qualify as collectable and I've been thinking of getting collector car insurance since it get driven so rarely and only in nice weather. Some of my friends have been making fun of how I take care of it. I usually spend most of my money under the hood. My cars usually get washed when it rains. I wanted one of these for 30 years and it took 3 years to talk the guy out of this one.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

Actually, Jeep sort of still does. The Wagoneer became the Grand Wagoner and that was redesigned to be the Grand Cherokee. The major change in '91 or '93 was for safety and to improve reliability. My niece has a Grand Cherokee and it's remarkably like my Wagoneer updated. The M-B does qualify as collectable and I've been thinking of getting collector car insurance since it get driven so rarely and only in nice weather. Some of my friends have been making fun of how I take care of it. I usually spend most of my money under the hood. My cars usually get washed when it rains. I wanted one of these for 30 years and it took 3 years to talk the guy out of this one.
    Yeah, but the new GC doesn't have the unpretentious coolness of those old Wagoneers. Maybe it's just a Gen X thing (I grew up pre-"SUV," when there were just Broncos and Scouts and Wagoneers, etc. - and they were not driven by suburban Yuppies but by people who knew what a 4WD vehicle was for and actually used the thing, etc.) .

I'd definitely look into the classic coverage; odds are you'll get a better policy - coverage to reflect the real worth of the car, at a lower price, too.

The only classic I currently have is a '65 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible. It has 119,000 original miles. I bought it 2 years ago with the intention of restoring it, but I've been setting aside the money for a wedding instead.

Iím the 4th owner. Itís not much to look at for the moment and itís pretty bare bones. Itís equipped with power steering and brakes, an AM radio, rear speaker, bench seats, a 390 Interceptor V8 and a Cruise-O-Matic trans. I found the car by accident (Iím not a Ford guy, but I couldnít say no to the price). I was waiting to look at a Honda and the owner was running late. I waited 15 minutes, then decided to leave. As I was leaving, I saw an older man pulling this car out of the driveway across the alley from where I was waiting. It had a film of dust half an inch thick all over it. I was curious so I went over to investigate. ďDo you want it?Ē the man asks. ďIím putting it up for sale next week. Iíve had it stored in my garage for over 7 years. My wife and I each bought Harleys. I have mine already and sheís getting hers next week. The Gal takes up the space where both of the bikes will sit. I need it gone.Ē His asking price? $2000. I spend 20 minutes looking the car over. It ran and shifted smoothly. The power top worked perfectly. There was no glass damage (even the glass for the convertible top window is mint), but it was in sore need of a paint job. Itís currently painted a very pale and faded blue but the original color checks out as being Raven Black. Passenger side rear quarter needs to be replaced and the top needs replacement but other than that it could be a solid daily driver. Both the brakes and the e-brake are useless, as are the shocks. The frame is in surprisingly good condition for the carís age. The tires hold air, but they are not roadworthy and are at least 10 years old. The old man states heís had it almost 10 years, but kids got in the way of doing anything other than driving it the first three years and then parking it. He also tells me that when he bought it the car had about 98,000 miles. I tell him itís too rich for my blood and Iím not into Fords, but I leave my number and ask him to call me back if his price drops.

Three days later, I get a phone call from the old guy. I can hear his wife cursing in the background. He tells me he has the deal of a lifetime and is willing to drop the price to $1500. His wife got her Harley in early, and now the car is sitting on a clearing in the corner of their property where her garden shed is going in a week. I counter with a grand. He asks me to hold on for a minute and I hear him argue with his wife for a minute or two and then he says ďMy final price is $1250 and a case of Silver Bullets (Coors Light). Take it or leave it. It cost me that much to repair the hydraulic rams to make the top work two years ago. Iíll even give you the receipt with the warranty papers.Ē So now I have a 41 year old running Ford ragtop for the cost of $1250 and some booze.

Quote Originally Posted by ReasonOne
    The only classic I currently have is a '65 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible. It has 119,000 original miles. I bought it 2 years ago with the intention of restoring it, but I've been setting aside the money for a wedding instead.

Iím the 4th owner. Itís not much to look at for the moment and itís pretty bare bones. Itís equipped with power steering and brakes, an AM radio, rear speaker, bench seats, a 390 Interceptor V8 and a Cruise-O-Matic trans. I found the car by accident (Iím not a Ford guy, but I couldnít say no to the price). I was waiting to look at a Honda and the owner was running late. I waited 15 minutes, then decided to leave. As I was leaving, I saw an older man pulling this car out of the driveway across the alley from where I was waiting. It had a film of dust half an inch thick all over it. I was curious so I went over to investigate. ďDo you want it?Ē the man asks. ďIím putting it up for sale next week. Iíve had it stored in my garage for over 7 years. My wife and I each bought Harleys. I have mine already and sheís getting hers next week. The Gal takes up the space where both of the bikes will sit. I need it gone.Ē His asking price? $2000. I spend 20 minutes looking the car over. It ran and shifted smoothly. The power top worked perfectly. There was no glass damage (even the glass for the convertible top window is mint), but it was in sore need of a paint job. Itís currently painted a very pale and faded blue but the original color checks out as being Raven Black. Passenger side rear quarter needs to be replaced and the top needs replacement but other than that it could be a solid daily driver. Both the brakes and the e-brake are useless, as are the shocks. The frame is in surprisingly good condition for the carís age. The tires hold air, but they are not roadworthy and are at least 10 years old. The old man states heís had it almost 10 years, but kids got in the way of doing anything other than driving it the first three years and then parking it. He also tells me that when he bought it the car had about 98,000 miles. I tell him itís too rich for my blood and Iím not into Fords, but I leave my number and ask him to call me back if his price drops.

Three days later, I get a phone call from the old guy. I can hear his wife cursing in the background. He tells me he has the deal of a lifetime and is willing to drop the price to $1500. His wife got her Harley in early, and now the car is sitting on a clearing in the corner of their property where her garden shed is going in a week. I counter with a grand. He asks me to hold on for a minute and I hear him argue with his wife for a minute or two and then he says ďMy final price is $1250 and a case of Silver Bullets (Coors Light). Take it or leave it. It cost me that much to repair the hydraulic rams to make the top work two years ago. Iíll even give you the receipt with the warranty papers.Ē So now I have a 41 year old running Ford ragtop for the cost of $1250 and some booze.

$1,200 and change for a running, "all there" 390 convertible Galaxie 500? Jeasy Peasy! You got the deal of the decade!! ;D

Reason One,

That indeed was a great deal. It's all about being in the right place and the right time. Those 1965 Galaxie's were nice cars especially when FE 390/427 powered, they are fun to cruise around town.

Well, it isn't a classic - yet - but I intend to keep it till it is. Of course, I am talking about my 1990 Jaguar XJ6, the one with only 51,000 mile on it and showroom condition.
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.

Does a 1923 Ford Model T Touring Car hot rod count?

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche

If it's an actual Model T, sure.

I get bemused by the local street rodders. The "Frog Follies" are a fairly major event here locally every August. They require the car to be a 1948 or older to participate. Cars like the first series Plymouths are not allowed even though they are 48's titled as '49. On the other hand, most of the rods are fiberglass or plastic and there isn't a part on there more than a couple of years old. I go up there for the swap meet since you can find parts that are unavailable otherwise. I generally pass a fiberglass car that looks like 100 others that somebody just threw money at. On the other hand, there are some cars and trucks up there that really are older cars and the craftsmanship is a wonder.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche

Sure!

Just because it's a rod (or modified) doesn't mean it's not a classic/antique car....

Actually, mine is pretty old, even if it is mostly repro. It was, according to Norm Grabowski (look HIM up!), probably started in Tex Smith's shop, and at least 40 years ago.

Well i think that what we have might fit in that category. Most of the cars that i have had in my life were all pretty much the antique class. never had many that were classics. But when my wife and i where dating, i had a 1957 Turnpike Cruizer, four door hardtop. But when we got married, i updated to a 1960 Merc, 4 door hardtop. That was 40 years ago. Since then we have had a 1955 Studebaker Pick-up, to which we enjoyed for 25 years and our family got to big for it, so i drove it back and forth to work for over 25 years. We also took many trips in it (to Calif, Idaho,Washington, and of course Oregon). I did change the running gear in it to a 1960 Olds 394, from the radiator on back to the rear end. And after five years of doing body work while driving it, it had its first paint job. We sold that little truck at a swap meet back in 1996. I told my better half that no more, that was the last.....until a buddy of mine told me about an old Ford that he bought with the notion of restoring it. I asked, it was 1964 Ford Falcon ragtop V-8 car. So happens that i was working for a Ford dealership in a little town called Spangle, just south Spokane Washington. I mentioned that i would like to find one to restore some day. I had always liked the body style, being that style was only made two years. I did end up with the car, Bought it in March of1997, had it in its first show, under construction of course, and finished the restoration in 1999. Since then, it has taken best of show , peoples choice, best convertible, best '60s, and a few other awards. It is not a trailer queen, my wife and i both enjoy cruizing with the top down, of course, and here in central Oregon, we have a lot of good days to enjoy. And the best thing about it, is that i was able to do 99.9% of the work myself. I have had it over ten years now,and the value just keeps going up. So thats our classic little car. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by J. ZIMM
    Well i think that what we have might fit in that category. Most of the cars that i have had in my life were all pretty much the antique class. never had many that were classics. But when my wife and i where dating, i had a 1957 Turnpike Cruizer, four door hardtop. But when we got married, i updated to a 1960 Merc, 4 door hardtop. That was 40 years ago. Since then we have had a 1955 Studebaker Pick-up, to which we enjoyed for 25 years and our family got to big for it, so i drove it back and forth to work for over 25 years. We also took many trips in it (to Calif, Idaho,Washington, and of course Oregon). I did change the running gear in it to a 1960 Olds 394, from the radiator on back to the rear end. And after five years of doing body work while driving it, it had its first paint job. We sold that little truck at a swap meet back in 1996. I told my better half that no more, that was the last.....until a buddy of mine told me about an old Ford that he bought with the notion of restoring it. I asked, it was 1964 Ford Falcon ragtop V-8 car. So happens that i was working for a Ford dealership in a little town called Spangle, just south Spokane Washington. I mentioned that i would like to find one to restore some day. I had always liked the body style, being that style was only made two years. I did end up with the car, Bought it in March of1997, had it in its first show, under construction of course, and finished the restoration in 1999. Since then, it has taken best of show , peoples choice, best convertible, best '60s, and a few other awards. It is not a trailer queen, my wife and i both enjoy cruizing with the top down, of course, and here in central Oregon, we have a lot of good days to enjoy. And the best thing about it, is that i was able to do 99.9% of the work myself. I have had it over ten years now,and the value just keeps going up. So thats our classic little car. 8)
    "Turnpike Cruiser".... that has to be one of the best cars names ever!

That bucket T desperately needs a better looking radiator shell.

;D Those squiggly lines looks like my Saturday nights a few years back.... now it looks like how i drive my scooter...ha, ha, ha :P

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    That bucket T desperately needs a better looking radiator shell.
    What it actually needs is the frame to be lengthened a little in the front, so I can install a slightly longer transmission (700R4), move the engine slightly forward, lower the front suspension, and lower the radiator. Don't you like my brass work?

Actually, it has become almost impossible to buy nice T shells any more. The makers have all quit making them.

My fiance is going to kill me.

I have a deal in the works for a rust free 1980 Honda Civic with the 4-speed trans. Has been garage stored for a minimum of 5 years. Hope it works out :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ReasonOne
    My fiance is going to kill me.

I have a deal in the works for a rust free 1980 Honda Civic with the 4-speed trans. Has been garage stored for a minimum of 5 years. Hope it works out :-)
    Hey, that can't be too expensive! And it's a neat semi-old car, too!