Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear in our yard

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Bear in our yard

This guy was looking for something!

Re: Bear in our yard

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    This guy was looking for something!

Jeez! Don't you ever cut your hair? Why would you even want to run around in the yard bear? Put some clothes on. I don't walk around in my birthday suit because it's getting all wrinkled. I tried ironing it but don't plan to do that again.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

You were standing WAAAY too close to that bear to take that picture. What goodies did you have?

D_E_Davis

When you finally decide to stop leaving food outside that bear will snoop in another's yard.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky1776
    You were standing WAAAY too close to that bear to take that picture. What goodies did you have?
    Don't worry - I was close enough to the front door to get back inside! He was just moping around the front yard; but point taken. Since I saw this guy, I take my .45 with me when walking the dog (which I do sometimes before the sun comes up, in the same area of our property). I wouldn't shoot the bear (unless he actually charged me and I couldn't get away from him). The idea would be to pop off a round in his general direction to scare him away... .

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    When you finally decide to stop leaving food outside that bear will snoop in another's yard.

We were wondering about that - but no food (or trash cans, etc.) is left outside. However, there are berry bushes - and that was probably what he was after!

D_E_Davis

Don't worry - I was close enough to the front door to get back inside! He was just moping around the front yard; but point taken. Since I saw this guy, I take my .45 with me when walking the dog (which I do sometimes before the sun comes up, in the same area of our property). I wouldn't shoot the bear (unless he actually charged me and I couldn't get away from him). The idea would be to pop off a round in his general direction to scare him away... .
    You'd be better off carrying a can of bear spray along with the .45.

There is such a thing??

I dunno... I trust knock down power. Feel the same way about mace for human attackers. A hollow point plus-p .45 will do the job much more effectively and permanently!

Correct me if I am wrong but I have run into Black Bears before and they seem pretty docile and they eat plants or human food. The only real time to fear them, is when they are protecting their cubs. Do these bears ever attack people on a whim like Grizzly Bears do?

Since I saw this guy, I take my .45 with me when walking the dog (which I do sometimes before the sun comes up, in the same area of our property). I wouldn't shoot the bear (unless he actually charged me and I couldn't get away from him).
    Good idea not to shoot, you'd only have one P.O.d bear.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    Since I saw this guy, I take my .45 with me when walking the dog (which I do sometimes before the sun comes up, in the same area of our property). I wouldn't shoot the bear (unless he actually charged me and I couldn't get away from him).
    Good idea not to shoot, you'd only have one P.O.d bear.
    Yep!

They're cool beasts; no desire to harm him at all - I just don't want him to chew on me, either!

Generally, bear spray cans are often found in the droppings of large bears. While a .45 migtht scare it off, I'd feel better with either a .460 or .500 revolver. When you have a large enough weapon that it needs a muzzle brake, it will stop a charging bear.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Correct me if I am wrong but I have run into Black Bears before and they seem pretty docile and they eat plants or human food. The only real time to fear them, is when they are protecting their cubs. Do these bears ever attack people on a whim like Grizzly Bears do?

You have generally run into bears that are used to humans. These can often turn and decide humans are a food source. Wild bears, black or grizzly, that are not used to humans may decide they are a prey animal to begin with. If I am near bears, I usually have a 12 gauge with a sabot slug in the magazine. Predators usually avoid humans but not always.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

DonTom

"The only real time to fear them, is when they are protecting their cubs."

Black bears (which are sometimes even white or blond in color!) will only call their cubs. They don't get aggressive when their cubs are around humans unless you really go out of your way to do something stupid. OTOH, Brown (Grizzly) Bears are very aggressive with their cubs and you don't want to be near such.

" Do these bears ever attack people on a whim like Grizzly Bears do?"

Black bears can be very dangerous if you are around food, or if you surprise it. You want bears to notice you from a distance, you don't want to surprise it in any way.

Only an idiot would have anything that has any smell to it in or very close to their tent. Black bears have been known to tear tents apart because they smell tooth paste or something like that. Bears eat almost anything that has any smell to it. And they can smell things from quite a distance.

Here's a video to watch about both types of bears:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/22677_animal-attack-bear-threat.htm?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=yssp&utm_campaign=yssp_mainvids

-Don-

Too many people think of cuddly little fuzzy animals when they see wild life. Keep in mind, it is WILD life. Tamed animals can go feral and be as much danger. If you want a pet wolf, you need to take it into your home and raise it by hand from about 5 weeks old. Dogs that aren't habituated to human society before they are weaned also have problems with people. They go feral and the wold ancestry comes to the fore. Pumas (mountain lions), bears, wolves and the like are still wild. They usually avoid people but when under habitat pressure will hunt humans for food. I have a small area of woods that is in forest reserve and I also keep it wild for a wild life refuge. It gives wild life such as deer a place to rest away from human encroachment. My biggest problem is the $$%^&^$$% tree huggers. They claim to be environmentalists but they cause more trouble and damage to the woods and wild life than kids going up there for a beer bust. I have little use for the greenies as they have no idea what they are doing. I've been raised as a conservationist all my life and I'm teaching my youngest niece field craft so when I'm too old to gum my gruel up there, it will still be taken care of.

Think wolves, bears and lions are the only problem? Several years ago, several lawyers let some pigs loose for hunting on a private reserve. The pigs got out. Now, feral pigs are running around in Indiana. Indiana has fairly comoplete hunting laws but the laws on hunting wild pigs are, "any weapon, anywhere, any time of the year". In short, open season. A wild or feral pig can hurt you as bad or worse than a bear. By the way, I'm not a hunter.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

DonTom

More good info on black bears here:

http://www.bearsmart.com/bearFacts/TruthAboutBears.html

-Don-

D_E_Davis

There is such a thing??

I dunno... I trust knock down power. Feel the same way about mace for human attackers. A hollow point plus-p .45 will do the job much more effectively and permanently!
    Yup - look it up.

As far as "knock-down power", that isn't the same on animals as it is on humans. Furthermore, bear spray has the same advantage as a shotgun - careful aiming isn't necessary.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Not often, but it does happen. 5 years ago a teen was badly injured, while she was sleeping, by a black bear in a campground north of town.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

Generally, bear spray cans are often found in the droppings of large bears. While a .45 migtht scare it off, I'd feel better with either a .460 or .500 revolver. When you have a large enough weapon that it needs a muzzle brake, it will stop a charging bear.
    That conflicts with the opinion of the Fish & Wildlife people, who endorse bear spray quite enthusiastically. Granted, bear spray seems to work much better on grizzlies or Alaska browns than it does on the common black bear.

As far as stopping a charging bear, I think a long gun or a shotgun is far better than any handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

That conflicts with the opinion of the Fish & Wildlife people, who endorse bear spray quite enthusiastically. Granted, bear spray seems to work much better on grizzlies or Alaska browns than it does on the common black bear.

As far as stopping a charging bear, I think a long gun or a shotgun is far better than any handgun.

A 50 caliber slug will stop a bear. The .500 was specifically designed for carrying when bear hunting. I've thought about getting one. I don't need it and don't know what I'd do with it but there's just something about it that appeals to my poor male psyche. Large animals do need a different type of weapon and aiming than a human. The human body has been the source of a lot of study on how to shoot it over the centuries. Unless the bear is up on it's rear legs, you need to aim differently than on a human.

Personally, I'd try the spray but would have some heavy metal to throw if it didn't work.
    Honk if you love Jesus.