Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Disabling air bags

  1. #1
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    23,035

    Disabling air bags

    My '98 Frontier is (obviously!) ten years old now and that, combined with the fact that I do not "buckle up" has got me to thinking about disabling the driver side air bag (the passenger side has an "off" switch because it's a regular cab truck, etc.).

    Does anyone know whether this can be done simply by just pulling a fuse Or is it more involved....?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,783

    Re: Disabling air bags

    Check the factory shop manual or the Haynes manual this will tell you what you need to do to disable it.

    Also check out the off-road.com - Nissan board, lots of guys over there have done the same to their Frontiers:

    http://forums.off-road.com/nissan-all/

    of course the board traffic looks like it has died over there.


  3. #3
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    23,035

    Re: Disabling air bags

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Check the factory shop manual or the Haynes manual this will tell you what you need to do to disable it.

    Also check out the off-road.com - Nissan board, lots of guys over there have done the same to their Frontiers:

    http://forums.off-road.com/nissan-all/

    of course the board traffic looks like it has died over there.

    Thanks Pete - I will look around!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628

    Re: Disabling air bags

    You can probably pull a connector to disable the airbag. Consequences would be a SRS light on all the time, and possibly failing a state inspection.

    Supposedly, you can insert a resistor to simulate the resistance of the airbag ignitor, but I don't know what value to use. A Google search might help.

    Chip H.

    Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

  5. #5
    DonTom
    Guest

    Re: Disabling air bags

    Since I have my 1997 Jeep factory service manual right here, I decided to look this up.

    It says there's only one safe way to disable the air bag. That is to disconnect the battery and wait several minutes (to discharge a capacitor). Other vehicles could be different, but I don't think they ever use a fuse on an air bag.

    But after the battery is disconnected, you should be able to safely remove or disconnect the air bag.

    But I wouldn't.

    -Don-

  6. #6
    Senior Member J. ZIMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    THE HIGH DESERT, OREGON
    Posts
    371

    Re: Disabling air bags

    I would double check what ever information I get. I have seen those things go off without to much proding. I saw one go off just setting on a work bench. Probably why it was taken out the first place. I do know that they do make one hell of a bang, and can go up fifty or so feet. Oh yea, if you see a cloud and can't hear for a while, look for the dog about four blocks from the house, and the cat clinging to the ceiling. Yep, your hearing will come back...believe me.

  7. #7
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    23,035

    Re: Disabling air bags

    Quote Originally Posted by J. ZIMM
    I would double check what ever information I get. I have seen those things go off without to much proding. I saw one go off just setting on a work bench. Probably why it was taken out the first place. I do know that they do make one hell of a bang, and can go up fifty or so feet. Oh yea, if you see a cloud and can't hear for a while, look for the dog about four blocks from the house, and the cat clinging to the ceiling. Yep, your hearing will come back...believe me.
    When our '98 Nissan eventually croaks, I am "going old." No more computer-controlled, saaaaaaaafety addled cars for us. I'll get us something like an old F100 pick-up. The only thing it really needs to be fully usable is an OD transmission, easily swapped in.

  8. #8
    Senior Member J. ZIMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    THE HIGH DESERT, OREGON
    Posts
    371

    Re: Disabling air bags

    Got that right. I have told my wife that the computer will be the downfall of our society. My next pickup will be an old six banger, with an automatic. Can't drive a standard anymore, and my son wants me to rebuild his truck. I don't do stuff any more. I've had seven surgery's on my back, I'm on oxygen, and I keep checking the papers each morning to see if my names in the obit's. When I find it, I'm going back to bed. Let someone else mow the damn yard. ;D

  9. #9
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    23,035

    Re: Disabling air bags

    Quote Originally Posted by J. ZIMM
    Got that right. I have told my wife that the computer will be the downfall of our society. My next pickup will be an old six banger, with an automatic. Can't drive a standard anymore, and my son wants me to rebuild his truck. I don't do stuff any more. I've had seven surgery's on my back, I'm on oxygen, and I keep checking the papers each morning to see if my names in the obit's. When I find it, I'm going back to bed. Let someone else mow the damn yard. ;D
    Good stuff!

    But hopefully you'll last a lot longer than that.

    On cars/complexity: The last five years things seem to have picked up furiously, in terms of the automakers (and government) adding/mandating this, that and the other thing - all of which makes the cars more expensive, harder (and more expensive!) to repair, as well as much more aggravating to operate (my opinion). It's like with phones that have 30 page owner's manuals and multi-function keypads when all I want to do is make a damn phone call!

    Yet most people have been conditioned to believe they "need" this stuff - with the result being ever-more complexity, ever-more cost and hassle.

    Thank god you can still "opt out" by driving an older car!







  10. #10
    Senior Member J. ZIMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    THE HIGH DESERT, OREGON
    Posts
    371

    Re: Disabling air bags

    I still love my old '64 Ford Falcon Ragtop. The only thing electronic in it is the radio. Still gets good milage. And my wife can still start it. 8)

  11. #11
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    23,035

    Re: Disabling air bags

    Quote Originally Posted by J. ZIMM
    I still love my old '64 Ford Falcon Ragtop. The only thing electronic in it is the radio. Still gets good milage. And my wife can still start it. 8)
    Great car; I'm a big fan of old Falcons!

  12. #12
    Senior Member J. ZIMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    THE HIGH DESERT, OREGON
    Posts
    371

    Re: Disabling air bags

    Got into a good discussion with the family this past weekend, you know , the once a year family reunion. I still think that most show up looking for a date, but thats another story. We got talking about how screw up the world is in its present state. Of course we got into technology,as thats where its at, right? Argued about computers, automobiles, and politics. And we still have no one to impeach yet. Keep trying. The one question that came about is "what item or invention would put the world or country down on its knees, or back to the horse and buggy days". There were many answers, some said electricity, as it would shut down many of our comfort items. I thought that was a good start. We would have to learn how to make soap and candles out of animal renderings. We wouldn't have to worry about traffic court, as all records would be lost inside "DA MACHING", and there would be no paper trail. Of course we would not have auto deposit for our pay checks, so that means we would run down the boss, fire up ol' Dobbin and try to make it to the bank. Of course we would not have to worry about checks bouncing, 'cause in most cases, everything would be done on a cash basis. Gosh, wouldn't it be something if a mans word became a good thing again? Want to stretch this on out? You might try "magnetism". Won't have to worry about apples falling on your head. :

  13. #13
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    23,035

    Re: Disabling air bags

    Quote Originally Posted by J. ZIMM
    Got into a good discussion with the family this past weekend, you know , the once a year family reunion. I still think that most show up looking for a date, but thats another story. We got talking about how screw up the world is in its present state. Of course we got into technology,as thats where its at, right? Argued about computers, automobiles, and politics. And we still have no one to impeach yet. Keep trying. The one question that came about is "what item or invention would put the world or country down on its knees, or back to the horse and buggy days". There were many answers, some said electricity, as it would shut down many of our comfort items. I thought that was a good start. We would have to learn how to make soap and candles out of animal renderings. We wouldn't have to worry about traffic court, as all records would be lost inside "DA MACHING", and there would be no paper trail. Of course we would not have auto deposit for our pay checks, so that means we would run down the boss, fire up ol' Dobbin and try to make it to the bank. Of course we would not have to worry about checks bouncing, 'cause in most cases, everything would be done on a cash basis. Gosh, wouldn't it be something if a mans word became a good thing again? Want to stretch this on out? You might try "magnetism". Won't have to worry about apples falling on your head. :
    If the "Peak Oil" people are right, that will result in largely the same thing - a literal return to the 19th century for most people.

  14. #14
    Senior Member J. ZIMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    THE HIGH DESERT, OREGON
    Posts
    371

    Re: Disabling air bags

    If it should ever happen, The 19th century that is, I wonder how many people would have that skills or knowledge to make it without going Jesse James on us. I know that some of us grew up in a time where you had to actually work to make an item so you could continue to make a living. I'll bet that right now,there are some that could do it because they were brought up to make things happen honestly. I'm pretty sure that I maybe one of them. As a child, my brother and I learned how to make our cars, trucks, boats, and any other 'toys' out of pieces of wood , bark, and anything else that was laying around. We lived in a logging camp, so going to the store to buy a toy was not in the program. We did not have the tools in our hands to make what we wanted. The tools that we used were inside our heads. We called them 'our imaginations'. So we were able to see what others could not. I'm a little bit that way today. I still have the ability to "see", and the will to make it happen. And I have one other tool in my work shop. The ability to make it happen. 8)

Similar Threads

  1. Next up: Outside Air Bags
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2012, 10:18 AM
  2. Disabling On-Star
    By swamprat in forum Advice/Questions/Tips
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2011, 07:48 PM
  3. Not so "smart" air bags
    By Eric in forum Advice/Questions/Tips
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 06:48 AM
  4. Illegal bags
    By grouch in forum Grouch's Garage
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-21-2010, 11:29 AM
  5. air bags.. optional?
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-01-2006, 07:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •