Thread: Cleaners

Cleaners

I'm not particularly pandering to sponsors at the top of the page but the Permatex ad caught my eye. I use their Fast Orange hand cleaner as it doesn't split my skin or cause other problems. What does everybody else use to clean their hands? I prefer the smooth formula as the pumic formula clogs up my drains in my 60 year old pipes (in the house, not me). The only thing that cleans my hands better is kerosene in the parts washer for really greasy nasty stuff.

I remember a few years ago, someone made some stuff that you rubbed onto your skin and it would ball up taking dirt with it. It did that just fine but it also took the hair off my hands. I notice it's no longer available around here.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Re: Cleaners

Fast Orange (both kinds) works pretty well.

Chp H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

In the '80s when I worked as a Fiat mechanic, our boss used to buy some kind of hand cleaner that worked great. I don't remember the brand, but it was smooth and pink, and smelled like bubble gum. It would take any sort of shop filth off my hands with little effort. I haven't seen this stuff since then.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    In the '80s when I worked as a Fiat mechanic, our boss used to buy some kind of hand cleaner that worked great. I don't remember the brand, but it was smooth and pink, and smelled like bubble gum. It would take any sort of shop filth off my hands with little effort. I haven't seen this stuff since then.
    I used to favour the green Swarfega Gel. Easy on the skin and you could use it a dozen times a day. As Grouch mentioned kerosene also does a good job as did the 30sec vapourising oil I used to use in my central heating - I used to use it regularly as an engine/parts de-greaser and found it very effective.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

I'm not particularly pandering to sponsors at the top of the page but the Permatex ad caught my eye. I use their Fast Orange hand cleaner as it doesn't split my skin or cause other problems. What does everybody else use to clean their hands? I prefer the smooth formula as the pumic formula clogs up my drains in my 60 year old pipes (in the house, not me). The only thing that cleans my hands better is kerosene in the parts washer for really greasy nasty stuff.

I remember a few years ago, someone made some stuff that you rubbed onto your skin and it would ball up taking dirt with it. It did that just fine but it also took the hair off my hands. I notice it's no longer available around here.
    Love the stuff (Fast Orange) so I'm glad to have them as an advertiser here!

Love the stuff (Fast Orange) so I'm glad to have them as an advertiser here!

I like it too. I just wish the smooth version was easier to find. The pumice tends to clog my drains so I need to rinse my hands outside if I use it. Permatex has some other good stuff that is hard to find. Whenever I find the silicone thermostat sealant, I snag a tube or two. On older engines with pitted thermostat housings, it will seal those pesky leaks that gaksets don't seem to be able to quite seal. I had a Chrysler with a 400 engine and air and the thermostat was under the compressor so leaks were a booger to fix.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.