Thread: Ever notice?

Ever notice?

Let's try a spot for thing we notice that others may or may not.

Ever notice how politicians (pushing the limits on my own rules here) talk about how "We must tighten our belts" but never do anything like that themselves? ???
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Re: Ever notice?

Too bad the Governor of New Jersey wasn't wearing his seatbelt...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

Let's try a spot for thing we notice that others may or may not.

Ever notice how politicians (pushing the limits on my own rules here) talk about how "We must tighten our belts" but never do anything like that themselves? ???
    Naturlich.

The premise being our money is actually their money. Whatever they spend is essential and necessary; whatever we're allowed to keep, an indulgence. Hence, it's "greedy" and "selfish" to resent or oppose being compelled to provide money to finance some pol's pet project - but noble and "public spirited" to take other people's money for said purpose.

We live in a country ruled by the concepts of mutual parasitism and coercion via pressure groups.

It all goes back to Abe Lincoln. If only we could get a "do over" of the War Between the States!

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Too bad the Governor of New Jersey wasn't wearing his seatbelt...

I'll bet he does now. I wonder if he got a seat belt ticket? I always felt a little sorry for the state police officer that was driving. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place. I was working security once when the governor came through my check point. A kid asked me who it was and I told him. He asked why the governor was sitting in the front seat. The governor of the state is in a state owned vehicle driven by a state police officer. He will sit where ever he feels like.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Ever notice you can't order a new car like you want? You're limited to "option packages" and usually these are loaded with extra stuff you don't really care to have. The dealers also like to load the cars up with high profit options and the bare bones car you really want is no where to be seen.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Ever notice you can't order a new car like you want? You're limited to "option packages" and usually these are loaded with extra stuff you don't really care to have. The dealers also like to load the cars up with high profit options and the bare bones car you really want is no where to be seen.
    Yes. This is very annoying - but it enhances the automaker's profit margin. Same deal with cable/satellite TV. I loathe professional sports and never watch them, yet I still have to "buy" a dozen-plus versions of ESPN, etc to get the History and Science channels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Yes. This is very annoying - but it enhances the automaker's profit margin. Same deal with cable/satellite TV. I loathe professional sports and never watch them, yet I still have to "buy" a dozen-plus versions of ESPN, etc to get the History and Science channels, etc.

I agree. I see ads for channels that I might like. However, even though they are advertised on my cable system, they aren't offered. I can watch any sport in person but don't care for it on TV.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

I'm ok with option packages that have what I want in them.

I figure that grouping options like that lowers their cost of production, and they're likely passing that savings on to me.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Ever notice you can go to a restaurant or other food shop and walk in going by the drive up window. Most of the time, when you come out with your order, most of those cars are still there. So, you saved fuel two ways. You shut off the engine and walked inside and you also didn't get 0 miles per gallon sitting idling.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

D_E_Davis

Ever notice you can't order a new car like you want? You're limited to "option packages" and usually these are loaded with extra stuff you don't really care to have....
    That insult to the buyer has been around for over 40 years. In late 65 Ford wouldn't let me order a 66 Mustang with "fast ratio" steering unless I also got the power steering. Fortunately, I was ordering through the AFEX system in Germany so I was able to get the power deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis

Ever notice you can't order a new car like you want? You're limited to "option packages" and usually these are loaded with extra stuff you don't really care to have....
    That insult to the buyer has been around for over 40 years. In late 65 Ford wouldn't let me order a 66 Mustang with "fast ratio" steering unless I also got the power steering. Fortunately, I was ordering through the AFEX system in Germany so I was able to get the power deleted.

I remember the non-power-assisted steering on my '66 Fairlane. 8.5 turns lock-to-lock. You had to plan ahead for corners.

Years later a friend's dad got a base model Ford Ranger pickup. Must've been around 1990 or so, when they had the twin-spark version of the 2300 cc Pinto engine. I drove it once, and I think it had the same steering gear as that '66 Fairlane, I was amazed. I deemed the vehicle totally unsafe to drive. And in addition to all the spirited steering-wheel cranking it required, the truck also had a manual tranny.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    I remember the non-power-assisted steering on my '66 Fairlane. 8.5 turns lock-to-lock. You had to plan ahead for corners.

Years later a friend's dad got a base model Ford Ranger pickup. Must've been around 1990 or so, when they had the twin-spark version of the 2300 cc Pinto engine. I drove it once, and I think it had the same steering gear as that '66 Fairlane, I was amazed. I deemed the vehicle totally unsafe to drive. And in addition to all the spirited steering-wheel cranking it required, the truck also had a manual tranny.
    Back in those days them folks in Detroit didn't know anything about hills, or curves, because it's all flatland there.

Ever notice that the slightest burp sends gas prices up. For instance, the Exxon Valdez running aground cause fuel prices to raise on the west coast in less than 48 hours even though there was never a supply disruption. However, if oil drops then it takes 10-20 days for the price decrease to show up at the pump.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Ever notice that a web site mainly aimed at automobiles is getting to be heavy on politics?
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Automobiles are a very political subject.

And it's a political year.

And this group has always been like that. Or at least since Eric bought the Compu$erve Automobiles Forum from its previous owners.

Ever notice that a web site mainly aimed at automobiles is getting to be heavy on politics?
    It can't be helped. Whether you're a consumer who just views cars as an appliance or an enthusiast/gearhead, the government is interested in you - even if you are not interested in government.

We also live in highly unusual times; the last seven years have been extraordinary, even revolutionary in their implications. I don't think we can ignore what's going on around us - especially when much of it directly affects cars, mobility and so on.

Ever notice the topics tend to wander around on this site? ;D
    Honk if you love Jesus.

D_E_Davis

Ever notice the topics tend to wander around on this site?
    The phenomenon is called "thread drift", and is found in many fora - save those with a surly, mean-minded wizop.