Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build your own motorcycle

Build your own motorcycle

Out of paper:

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...tra/index.html

Be sure to give yourself lots of time -- like a week or two.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Re: Build your own motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Out of paper:

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...tra/index.html

Be sure to give yourself lots of time -- like a week or two.

Chip H.
    I've looked and I don't believe it, Chip. There has to be a catch, I bet it wont rev over 6000 or the tyres won't last . Building someething like that just has to be a labor of love - I'm almost (but not quite) tempted.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

It'll never pass MOT inspection, Ken. The tread on the tyres is paper-thin.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Eric says that my insurance company wont cove it!

;D I bet it won't two up either.... :

Chip H.
    But, but, Jim reckons we shouldn't be hidebound by preconceptions. If the tyres come like that as standard then they are OEM and perfectly safe. If they are a modification, however, I would advise informing one's insurance company as a matter of personal insurance, otherwise known as 'covering one's a***e'.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

There's no pdf instructions to download.

Can anyone download the instructions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken

Chip H.
    But, but, Jim reckons we shouldn't be hidebound by preconceptions. If the tyres come like that as standard then they are OEM and perfectly safe. If they are a modification, however, I would advise informing one's insurance company as a matter of personal insurance, otherwise known as 'covering one's a***e'.

Ken.

You mean just like Eric notifies his insurance company every time he does that 150 MPH run?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    You mean just like Eric notifies his insurance company every time he does that 150 MPH run?
    Eric is looking after your best interest. You're the one being stubborn you won't even call your insurance company to find out what their policy is regarding car tires on scooters/cycles, when many insurance companies won't insure claims of cycles and scooters with car tires.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Chip H.

Ken.

Jim,

You are a bright guy, so I know you know there is a fundamental difference between an experienced rider briefly running up to 150 mph on a quiet, open road he knows very well - on a machine specifically designed for just that purpose - and running a tire in an application for which it was not designed; indeed, specifically the opposite of what it was designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete

Here's the engine assembly instructions:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...ssembly_01.pdf

The frame:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...ssembly_02.pdf

Front forks & tank:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...ssembly_03.pdf

Exhaust:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...ssembly_04.pdf

Tires:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...ssembly_05.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Chip H.

Ken.

Jim,

You are a bright guy, so I know you know there is a fundamental difference between an experienced rider briefly running up to 150 mph on a quiet, open road he knows very well - on a machine specifically designed for just that purpose - and running a tire in an application for which it was not designed; indeed, specifically the opposite of what it was designed for.

Eric, I simply can't be polite when I say you are full of S&^T --- you are telling me that you are safe at 150 on a public hiway and I'm not safe on the same hiway at 70 because I have a car tire on my scooter that is rated at 110 mph--- Give me a break--- How the hell do you get to make life threatening decisions for yourself and I don't have the same privelege??? Are you some perfect specimen superhuman?
    What part of this video don't you understand?
    http://www.jumpcut.com/view/?id=6BD8...8D000423CF3686

[Eric, I simply can't be polite when I say you are full of S&^T --- you are telling me that you are safe at 150 on a public hiway and I'm not safe on the same hiway at 70 because I have a car tire on my scooter that is rated at 110 mph--- Give me a break--- How the hell do you get to make life threatening decisions for yourself and I don't have the same privelege??? Are you some perfect specimen superhuman?
    http://www.jumpcut.com/view/?id=6BD8...0423CF3686and?
    When I ride a motorcycle I go the speed limit and I can tell you from the video you posted the car tire lifts too much in turns and is dangerous. The video I posted earlier shows a lower and closer view of a car tire on a motorcycle, your video the camera is mounted higher (too high) and you don't get a good enough view of the contact patch of the tire like the video I posted in the other thread:

Here's the engine assembly instructions:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...ssembly_01.pdf

The frame:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...ssembly_02.pdf

Front forks & tank:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...ssembly_03.pdf

Exhaust:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...ssembly_04.pdf

Tires:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...ssembly_05.pdf
    Chip,

Thanks...

"Eric, I simply can't be polite when I say you are full of S&^T --- you are telling me that you are safe at 150 on a public hiway and I'm not safe on the same hiway at 70 because I have a car tire on my scooter that is rated at 110 mph--- Give me a break--- "

Jim - again - for the umpteenth time - what I do has no bearing on what you do, as far as whether what you are doing is safe/smart.

It's just an attempt to duck the issue by making it about what I do - instead of what you do!

[Eric, I simply can't be polite when I say you are full of S&^T --- you are telling me that you are safe at 150 on a public hiway and I'm not safe on the same hiway at 70 because I have a car tire on my scooter that is rated at 110 mph--- Give me a break--- How the hell do you get to make life threatening decisions for yourself and I don't have the same privelege??? Are you some perfect specimen superhuman?
    http://www.jumpcut.com/view/?id=6BD8...0423CF3686and?
    When I ride a motorcycle I go the speed limit and I can tell you from the video you posted the car tire lifts too much in turns and is dangerous. The video I posted earlier shows a lower and closer view of a car tire on a motorcycle, your video the camera is mounted higher (too high) and you don't get a good enough view of the contact patch of the tire like the video I posted in the other thread:

It still has more contact area than a MC tire---

"It still has more contact area than a MC tire--- "

Ah, no.

Jim, I suspect the problem here is you're not really familiar with motorcycles - or MC tires. Because, clearly, you don't seem to understand how a MC tire is designed - and what it is designed to do and why - vs. what a car tire is designed to do. I'm not trying to be insulting. I'm just suggesting you do a little research - or ask someone who is an expert.

Ah, no.

Jim, I suspect the problem here is you're not really familiar with motorcycles - or MC tires. Because, clearly, you don't seem to understand how a MC tire is designed - and what it is designed to do and why - vs. what a car tire is designed to do. I'm not trying to be insulting. I'm just suggesting you do a little research - or ask someone who is an expert.
    Ah, no? By what standard? By what proof? All I can see is that the car tire has more contact area in turns or on the straight--- Perhaps an "expert" has better eyesight---

Ah, no.

Ah, no? By what standard? By what proof? All I can see is that the car tire has more contact area in turns or on the straight--- Perhaps an "expert" has better eyesight---
    Jim -

Notice that the car tire stays rigid and "lifts" as the bike leans - whereas a motorcycle tire rolls with the bike's lean, maintaining the contact patch.

Your continuing to argue that car tires built for cars are just as good on a bike as bike tires made for bikes; that they are essentially the same and interchangeable, etc. is only making you look silly to those here who do know at least a little about bikes, how they turn/handle - and why motorcycle tires are constructed and shaped differently than car tires.

Ah, no.

Jim -

Notice that the car tire stays rigid and "lifts" as the bike leans - whereas a motorcycle tire rolls with the bike's lean, maintaining the contact patch.

Your continuing to argue that car tires built for cars are just as good on a bike as bike tires made for bikes; that they are essentially the same and interchangeable, etc. is only making you look silly to those here who do know at least a little about bikes, how they turn/handle - and why motorcycle tires are constructed and shaped differently than car tires.

I guess that you know better than all the folks who have used car tires on their bikes--- your assumption is a whole lot better than any experience -- even experience of 100,000 miles ----