Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Build your own motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    "It still has more contact area than a MC tire--- "

Ah, no.

Jim, I suspect the problem here is you're not really familiar with motorcycles - or MC tires. Because, clearly, you don't seem to understand how a MC tire is designed - and what it is designed to do and why - vs. what a car tire is designed to do. I'm not trying to be insulting. I'm just suggesting you do a little research - or ask someone who is an expert.
    Ah, no? By what standard? By what proof? All I can see is that the car tire has more contact area in turns or on the straight--- Perhaps an "expert" has better eyesight---
    Jim -

Notice that the car tire stays rigid and "lifts" as the bike leans - whereas a motorcycle tire rolls with the bike's lean, maintaining the contact patch.

Your continuing to argue that car tires built for cars are just as good on a bike as bike tires made for bikes; that they are essentially the same and interchangeable, etc. is only making you look silly to those here who do know at least a little about bikes, how they turn/handle - and why motorcycle tires are constructed and shaped differently than car tires.

I guess that you know better than all the folks who have used car tires on their bikes--- your assumption is a whole lot better than any experience -- even experience of 100,000 miles ----
    Their anecdotal claims - and "luck so far" don't change the engineering/design facts about MC tires. And the fact that using a car tire compromises the handling of a bike, period. The fact that it can still be ridden is irrelevant. The fact that some people do so without incident beside the point.

There are inbreds out there who drink strychnine and handle snakes without problems - often for years, too.

"It still has more contact area than a MC tire--- "

Ah, no.

Jim, I suspect the problem here is you're not really familiar with motorcycles - or MC tires. Because, clearly, you don't seem to understand how a MC tire is designed - and what it is designed to do and why - vs. what a car tire is designed to do. I'm not trying to be insulting. I'm just suggesting you do a little research - or ask someone who is an expert.
    Ah, no? By what standard? By what proof? All I can see is that the car tire has more contact area in turns or on the straight--- Perhaps an "expert" has better eyesight---
    Jim -

Notice that the car tire stays rigid and "lifts" as the bike leans - whereas a motorcycle tire rolls with the bike's lean, maintaining the contact patch.

Your continuing to argue that car tires built for cars are just as good on a bike as bike tires made for bikes; that they are essentially the same and interchangeable, etc. is only making you look silly to those here who do know at least a little about bikes, how they turn/handle - and why motorcycle tires are constructed and shaped differently than car tires.

I guess that you know better than all the folks who have used car tires on their bikes--- your assumption is a whole lot better than any experience -- even experience of 100,000 miles ----
    Their anecdotal claims - and "luck so far" don't change the engineering/design facts about MC tires. And the fact that using a car tire compromises the handling of a bike, period. The fact that it can still be ridden is irrelevant. The fact that some people do so without incident beside the point.

There are inbreds out there who drink strychnine and handle snakes without problems - often for years, too.

So, the experience of flight by the Wright Brothers meant nothing at the time, because the design of the plane didn't resemble a bird in any way, and Damlier's first car didn'r resemble a horse--- Anecdotes to you don't seem to mean anything unless YOU are the one making up the anecdotes. What a pity that you live in such a narrowminded world.

"So, the experience of flight by the Wright Brothers meant nothing at the time, because the design of the plane didn't resemble a bird in any way, and Damlier's first car didn'r resemble a horse"

Are you kidding me? Seriously.

You are trying to draw some sort of bizarre equivalence between inventors of new technology and the known use of improper equipment for an application it was specifically not designed to handle.

A better analogy, by your standards, would be trying to bolt a jet engine onto a wood and fabric Wright Flyer.

Hey, it might just work!

>>A better analogy, by your standards, would be trying to bolt a jet engine onto a wood and fabric Wright Flyer.

Hey, it might just work! <<

And why would it not work if properly installed?

"Anecdotes to you don't seem to mean anything unless YOU are the one making up the anecdotes. What a pity that you live in such a narrowminded world."

You're right - I prefer to go by engineering facts as opposed to the "anecdotal experiences" of people who ignore them!

We can argue about this endlessly, but there is no dispute about the fact that MC tires are constructed differently than car tires, to accommodate the very different handling dynamics of a motorcycle. It is equally a fact that car tires are not designed to work with the handling characteristics of a motorcycle - and a fact that no motorcycle manufacturer recommends their use for that reason.

Would you pour Wesson oil into your crankcase if some "anecdotal experience" said those SAE recommendations were just so much price-padding flapdoodle?

Do you pay attention to bolt grade/strength recommendations when assembling a stressed structure or component?

Is "by feel" just as good as using a torque wrench to tighten fasteners?

>>A better analogy, by your standards, would be trying to bolt a jet engine onto a wood and fabric Wright Flyer.

If you rebuilt the airframe to accommodate it, it would work - just as using a car tire on a bike would work if you re-engineered the bike to work with a car tire.

But that's not what you are doing, is it? You are putting a part specifically designed for an entirely different type of vehicle onto one that requires a tire specifically designed for it.

If you rebuilt the airframe to accommodate it, it would work - just as using a car tire on a bike would work if you re-engineered the bike to work with a car tire.

But that's not what you are doing, is it? You are putting a part specifically designed for an entirely different type of vehicle onto one that requires a tire specifically designed for it.
    You know very little about airplanes--- The airframe would only need a mount---

Now, so what if I'm doing something that has been done before without incident? How the hell does it affect you? It's my scooter and my ass and I am old enough to make educated decisions about how I use both.

"You know very little about airplanes"

Absolutely; but the point is made, eh?

"Now, so what if I'm doing something that has been done before without incident? How the hell does it affect you? It's my scooter and my ass and I am old enough to make educated decisions about how I use both."

Certainly. It doesn't, however, change the facts about running a car tire on a motorcycle - and that's all I'm arguing!

"Now, so what if I'm doing something that has been done before without incident? How the hell does it affect you? It's my scooter and my ass and I am old enough to make educated decisions about how I use both."

Certainly. It doesn't, however, change the facts about running a car tire on a motorcycle - and that's all I'm arguing!
    No, it certainly doesn't change the FACTS--- The car tire works well according to me and a bunch of others.

No, it certainly doesn't change the FACTS--- The car tire works well according to me and a bunch of others.
    In the uninformed opinion of people who have been lucky - so far.

Their opinions and experiences do not change the facts about the differences between car and bike tires and why installing a car tire on a bike is not a good idea, unless your primary consideration is increased tread life at the price of diminished and probably unsafe handling characteristics.

Their opinions and experiences do not change the facts about the differences between car and bike tires and why installing a car tire on a bike is not a good idea, unless your primary consideration is increased tread life at the price of diminished and probably unsafe handling characteristics.
    Proof of the pudding is in the eating--- experience with a product far outweighs any theoretical razz you can come up with. Probables don't count-- actuals do.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating--- experience with a product far outweighs any theoretical razz you can come up with. Probables don't count-- actuals do.
    These guys are stacking the deck against themselves; you too!

These guys are stacking the deck against themselves; you too!
    Just like the first guy who saw an Egg drop out of a chicken and said," I'm gonna crack that open and eat whatever comes out."