Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Porsche Boxster

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

2008 Porsche Boxster

Arguably, Porsches are overpriced.

Or at least, some of them.

A new Corvette that costs tens of thousands less can do just about anything the base $73,500 911 Carerra can - sometimes, better, too. Twenty or 30 years ago, the 911 was a true exotic; today it's exotically priced.

But what about the Boxster?

Just as arguably, it is the pick of the Porsche litter - offering both the status that comes with owning a Porsche, as well as race-car handling tenacity.

But at a much more reasonable $45,800 to start.

WHAT'S NEW

Porsche doesn't make major changes to its models as often as most other automakers do. This is a plus for buyers, since the car they buy today won't be out of date six months down the road. A five-year-old Porsche is hard to tell, at a glance, from a brand-new one.

In keeping with this philosophy, the 2008 Boxster is largely unchanged from the '07 run, with the exception of a new Limited Edition version that gets some cosmetic tweaks - and the addition to the legendarily lengthy Porsche options list (which is so extensive it's easy to order a virtual one-off/custom-built car) of super-lightweight sport seats made of carbon fiber-reinforced plastic.

ENGINES & PERFORMANCE

The standard Boxster comes with a 2.7 liter, 245 horsepower horizontally opposed flat six; more power is available in the pricier Boxster S ($55,700), which comes with a larger 3.4 liter flat six good for 295 hp. A five-speed manual is standard with the smaller engine, but you can order a six speed manual as an extra cost option. A five-speed automatic is also available. The more powerful Boxster S comes standard with the six-speed manual - with the five-speed automatic optional.

Despite its relatively modest rated output, the standard Boxster is a very quick car, capable of reaching 60 mph in about 5.8 seconds with a top speed close to 150 mph. The S version is even quicker, doing the deed in about 5 seconds flat.

Fuel economy is not half-bad, either. The regular Boxster can almost hit 30 mpg on the highway. (That's only about 5 mpg off the pace of what most of today's economy cars manage on the highway.)

RIDE & HANDLING

The Boxster is a mid-engined sports car, a layout which has the engine behind the driver but not behind the rear axle (as in the rear-engined 911). The mid-engined layout is almost perfectly balanced and delivers unbelievably high levels of grip. Going up and down a series of "S" turns where the normal speed is 40 is easily done at 70 without any sign the car is approaching its limits. There's barely even any tire squeal. The Boxster is so good it almost makes you feel inadequate as a driver (unless you're a pro) because it's not even trying though you're already at or near your own limits.

You'll read reviews of other sports cars that talk about "effortless" cornering, but there really is nothing like a mid-engined Porsche.

There are only two downsides. The first is getting at (and servicing) the engine - if you can figure out where it is. The flat six is buried deep down in the car, and many covers must be removed just to get a glimpse of it. All that's normally visible in the "engine compartment" out back is a fill neck for engine coolant and a dipstick for the oil. The battery is accessed under a plastic cover up front. This is not a DIY-friendly car! But that's the price you pay for the mid-engined layout.

The other price you pay for the mid-engined layout is that when it does finally let go in a corner, it lets go more abruptly (and usually, at higher speed) than would happen in a rear-drive sports car. This is the doubel-edge sword of the Boxster's formidable handling prowess. It really is an expert's car - and not to be taken lightly.

STYLING & UTILITY

Classic Porsche looks define the Boxster; no confusing it with anything from Japan - or anywhere else. Though it costs thirty grand less than the vaunted 911, it still gets the respect due the Porsche nameplate.

Utility-wise, the little Boxster is amazingly well thought-out. For openers, the passenger compartment is extremely roomy, with a 2-3 inches of clearance between the top of your noggin and the soft top - even for very tall occupants. In this respect alone it is superior to most other roadsters on the road today. But that's not the only area where the Boxster shines.

The thing also has room for stuff. More room, in fact, than just about any other two-seat compact roadster out there.

There are two trunks in the Boxster - one up front, the other out back - with a combined capacity of just over 10 cubic feet. That beats the BMW Z4 (9.2 cubic feet) and absolutely creams the Saturn Sky's pathetic 5.4 cubic feet. The mid-engined Lotus Elise is closest to the Boxster in layout (and price) but it's much smaller and far more cramped - with even less cargo capacity (4 cubic feet) than the handbag-sized trunk of the Sky.

All this room - given the kind of car we're talking about - makes the Boxster a lot more useable as any everyday driver than many (maybe all) other cars of its type.

You'll also find a pair of equally usable pop-out cupholders that tuck into the dash on the passenger's side of the car - and a few storage nooks/cubbies sculpted into the console and elsewhere. Most roadsters are like Saturday Night Special handguns - good for a single purpose and useless for just about everything else. The Boxster's design is remarkably practical - especially for a car that gives up nothing as a sports car.

QUALITY & SAFETY

Porsche paint jobs look liquid - as though the car had been hot-dipped in a vat of PPG's finest. Even the underside of the trunk/engine cover are meticulously finished - with more gloss and depth than the exterior surfaces of lesser cars.

The Boxster may be the least expensive model in the Porsche lineup but it has the same high-end attention to detail you'll find in the Cayman or 911. It's so good you wonder why people buy 911s - other than to show off what they can afford to spend.

Safety equipment includes outstanding brakes (even on the base Boxster; the S version gets even better stoppers) and Porsche's equally outstanding stability management system (PSM), which combines electronic stability control and traction control. The PSM system gives you a lot of free reign before it cuts in and even then, it does so very unobtrusively. It is perhaps the most driver-oriented "safety net" on the market.

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS

Short of a Lotus, nothing compares - and the $46,270 Lotus Elise is unusable for drivers over six feet tall or who need to take more than what they are wearing with them. The Boxster is a maestro of handling, a PhD of performance - the distilled essence of what a high-performance roadster should be, but almost entirely free of the aggravating downsides. It has a surprisingly compliant ride, virtually nil cowl shake, doesn't leak (rain or wind) has more room up front for the driver and front seat passenger than you'll find in some sport sedans - and a lot more trunk than just about anything else its size with two doors.

The Boxster's engine - base or S - sounds so sweet you'll want to record an MPEG file of it to listen to on your iPod or use for a ringtone. Though all modern Porsche engines are water-cooled now, the distinctive sound remains - its raspberry reverbs calling to mind visions of the Nurburgring, with you at the wheel.

To drive this car is to fall in love - and to understand, immediately, why Porsche owners are such fanatics. And why they rarely settle for anything less again.

THE BOTTOM LINE

Though the 911 (and Cayman) are the focus of most of the drooling - at least, by the automotive press- the Boxster is a jewel that should not be overlooked by anyone looking to experience the Porsche phenomenon where it really counts - out on the road. The rest of the Porsche lineup is equally worthy - but neither the Cayman nor the 911 can offer the exotic car experience without the exotic car price tag.

Re: 2008 Porsche Boxster

Posted this article with pictures on the main site:

http://www.ericpetersautos.com/home/...9&Itemid=10893

My summary of the boxter:
    Slow, ugly, and announcing to the world that you cannot afford a REAL porsche
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

Staff

A Boxster owner told me that he gets his best mileage at 85 mph. Around 32 mpg. German cars are made to get their best mileage at speed. Why can't we do the same thing?

I don't think that the Boxster is that bad, although I don't need a convertible car. It is miles better than the old 924 or the 914.

actually, my corvette is the same way - around 75mph I get 34mpg.

The boxter is still more expensive than a corvette, still slower, and let's face it, is a girl's car
    (sorry, but it is)

Quote Originally Posted by damen
    My summary of the boxter:
    Slow, ugly, and announcing to the world that you cannot afford a REAL porsche
    5.8 to 60 (5 flat with the S) is slow?

my 1999 Corvette with an automatic transmission goes 0-60 in 4.7 seconds
    YES, 5.8 is slow, particularly for a "performance" car
    edit: I take that back, it isn't slow, it is EMBARASSINGLY slow

It's slower than your Corvette, yes - but to say it's slow (or embarrassingly slow) is a stretch. Your 'Vette is all of 3 three tenths of a second quicker than the Boxster S - despite having two more cylinders, twice the displacement and, what, 100 more hp?

That's embarrassing?

actually, my corvette is the same way - around 75mph I get 34mpg.

The boxter is still more expensive than a corvette, still slower, and let's face it, is a girl's car
    (sorry, but it is)
    A girl's car?

Have you driven one?

Is an S2000 a girl's car? A Z4? A 350Z? The Boxster's as quick or quicker - and handles better.

I've had the opportunity to drive this car, flat out, on a race track - and if it's a girl's car, then girl's cars are getting to be pretty impressive!

5.8 seconds is still fast.

Was not too far back this was ultra fast. Back in 1984 the Chevrolet Corvette was the fastest American Car and it went 0-60 mph in around 7.0 seconds and hit 150 mph.

Give it a few years most sports cars won't be able to hit as low as 5.8 second 0-60 mph when the new CAFE ratings take effect. Displacement will drop again and so will horsepower.

The Boxter has a 2.7 ltr lump - by comparison how big is the engine in your Corvette? I would have thought, in general, that 5.8 to 60 from a 2.7 ltr engine was not bad, at under 100bhp/ltr it's not even really a tuned engine. I would guess that, if they wanted to, they could add another 50% to the standard power output. Think what they would do with a 5.0 ltr block. Oddly, I had never thought of the Boxter as a 'Performance' car, more as a fairly refined tourer.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    5.8 seconds is still fast.

Was not too far back this was ultra fast. Back in 1984 the Chevrolet Corvette was the fastest American Car and it went 0-60 mph in around 7.0 seconds and hit 150 mph.

Give it a few years most sports cars won't be able to hit as low as 5.8 second 0-60 mph when the new CAFE ratings take effect. Displacement will drop again and so will horsepower.
    Exactly.

And it's not rally fair to compare a true sports car like the Boxster with the Corvette - a much larger, much heavier car with a huge V-8 that's really more of a gran turismo than sports car....

Besides: Which do you suppose will not lose half its value in three years?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    The Boxter has a 2.7 ltr lump - by comparison how big is the engine in your Corvette? I would have thought, in general, that 5.8 to 60 from a 2.7 ltr engine was not bad, at under 100bhp/ltr it's not even really a tuned engine. I would guess that, if they wanted to, they could add another 50% to the standard power output. Think what they would do with a 5.0 ltr block. Oddly, I had never thought of the Boxter as a 'Performance' car, more as a fairly refined tourer.

Ken.
    The Boxster is a sports car - so handling is as important as raw power.

The Corvette is something in between. It is a big, heavy car - with a massively powerful V-8. It does handle well, but it's not nearly the same experience ... apples and oranges.

the miata handles fantastically as well, and is fairly quick
    but ask anyone, and they'll tell you it is a girls car

Porsche is supposed to be exclusive, and about performance
    this car is not exclusive OR about performance (no more than a half-hearted attempt, anyhow)

you dont buy a porsche to be shown up at a light by an evo, or an sti, or a 350z (which are all much cheaper as well)
    and I am someone who would buy a porsche in the future, I'd absolutely love a cayman or a 911.
    but I wouldnt be caught dead in a boxter

I'm confused
    by what measure is the corvette "heavy" ???
    the curb weight of a porsche boxter is: 3130lbs
    the curb weight of a corvette is: 3217lbs
    so not even 100lbs of difference, and the corvette is a big heavy beast???

"Porsche is supposed to be exclusive, and about performance
    this car is not exclusive OR about performance (no more than a half-hearted attempt, anyhow)"

That's just a silly statement. Was the old 356 a "girl's car" also? How about the early 911s? The Boxster is quicker - and outhandles - most any Porsche of the '70s and even into the '80s.

"you dont buy a porsche to be shown up at a light by an evo, or an sti, or a 350z (which are all much cheaper as well)"

Handling-wise, the Boxster is absolutely the equal (if not the superior) of the Evo or STi- and will eat the 350Z for lunch. Want to talk image? The EVO and STi have "teenage punk" images; few over-30s would go near one because they look like boy racer cars - silly and immature, with ridiculous wings, overdone scoops and el cheapo economy car interiors. No offense. Corvettes, too, have their own image issues. If you're honest, you'll concede the point!

As for cheaper; yes - a bit. But which depreciates faster? Mitsus are notorious for becoming almost worthless within 5 years of purchase. Porsches, on the other hand, hold their value very well.

"and I am someone who would buy a porsche in the future, I'd absolutely love a cayman or a 911.
    but I wouldnt be caught dead in a boxter"

I understand you personally don't like the car - but you are being way over the top and unfair in your denunciation of it.... .

just thought I'd also toss out that the corvette has higher skidpad numbers than the boxster as well (according to a quick google)

Eric, I am not being unfair.
    I travel in circles where Porsche is the car of choice. I also travel in the import scene and the domestic scene.
    Even the people I know who OWN boxsters agree with me - it is a car they bought because they wanted a 911 but couldnt afford it. this lets them still say they have a porsche. and most of them regret the purchase.

edit: for the record, I really dont know what you're talking about with the corvette image thing. you are really the only person I've heard it from. the folks with the lambos and the ferraris seem to love them (at least all the ones I know) - they use them whenever their itallian cars are in the shop being repaired

the miata handles fantastically as well, and is fairly quick
    but ask anyone, and they'll tell you it is a girls car

Porsche is supposed to be exclusive, and about performance
    this car is not exclusive OR about performance (no more than a half-hearted attempt, anyhow)

you dont buy a porsche to be shown up at a light by an evo, or an sti, or a 350z (which are all much cheaper as well)
    and I am someone who would buy a porsche in the future, I'd absolutely love a cayman or a 911.
    but I wouldnt be caught dead in a boxter
    Porsche has always made well balanced fast sports cars. Back in the late 1960s and early 1970s the 911 got a great reputation as a fast sports car with well balanced handling. However during this time a lot of muscle cars could beat the 911 in the 1/4 mile, however the 911 would beat most of them on the oval track.

Here's examples of Porsches that were well balanced fast sports cars but were not the fastest cars in their day, but still great cars to run on the track:

944 turbo

The 928 was faster than all the above however it never caught on in Porsche circles it lacked the well balanced sports car feel, it was a front engined German version of the Corvette.

I like the Boxster, the only beef I have of it's very difficult to get access to the engine. I remember when the boxster first arrived on the scene a few years ago, you had to jack it and crawl underneath it to check the oil.

Porsche makes fast well balanced sports cars,

I'm confused
    by what measure is the corvette "heavy" ???
    the curb weight of a porsche boxter is: 3130lbs
    the curb weight of a corvette is: 3217lbs
    so not even 100lbs of difference, and the corvette is a big heavy beast???
    The 2009 Corvette roadster has a curb weight of 3,222 lbs. The Boxster weighs 2,887 lbs. - a difference of 335 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Want to talk image? The EVO and STi have "teenage punk" images; few over-30s would go near one because they look like boy racer cars - silly and immature, with ridiculous wings, overdone scoops and el cheapo economy car interiors. No offense. Corvettes, too, have their own image issues. If you're honest, you'll concede the point!
    Some of the dorkiest guys I know who have bought Boxsters suddenly had women chasing them. Owning a Boxster will get you more dates with gorgeous women than probably any other car for the money. Unfortunately an EVO, Corvette, 350Z, STi, etc. can't compare. Women love guys who drive Porsches, end of story, the marque is unbeatable in that area.