Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2008 Porsche Boxster

Re: 2008 Porsche Boxster

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by damen
    I'm confused
    by what measure is the corvette "heavy" ???
    the curb weight of a porsche boxter is: 3130lbs
    the curb weight of a corvette is: 3217lbs
    so not even 100lbs of difference, and the corvette is a big heavy beast???
    The 2009 Corvette roadster has a curb weight of 3,222 lbs. The Boxster weighs 2,887 lbs. - a difference of 335 pounds.
    I do apologize, google mislead me there
    though thats with the MT
    the automatic tranny boxster does still weight in at 3009lbs, which narrows the gap a tad.
    still hardly an astronomical difference in the world of car weight
    the corvette is hardly a pig at 3200
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

"just thought I'd also toss out that the corvette has higher skidpad numbers than the boxster as well (according to a quick google)"

Skidpad numbers (even if you're right) don't necessarily equate to better handling. It's just a measure of when the tires will break loose when the car is driven in circles. On a race track (or on the street), the Boxster is a very formidable sports car - and to deny this fact is pretty silly.

"Eric, I am not being unfair. I travel in circles where Porsche is the car of choice. I also travel in the import scene and the domestic scene.
    Even the people I know who OWN boxsters agree with me - it is a car they bought because they wanted a 911 but couldnt afford it. this lets them still say they have a porsche. and most of them regret the purchase."

That is your anecdotal experience - and anecdotal experiences vary. They are not definitive. What is definitive, though, is who actually buys the car. And by that standard, the Boxster is by no means a "girl's car."

"for the record, I really dont know what you're talking about with the corvette image thing."

You need to get out more! Corvette - as great a car as it is - has a definite image problem as a "Guido" car, a car with no class, etc. It is, after all, a mere Chevy....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I'm confused
    by what measure is the corvette "heavy" ???
    the curb weight of a porsche boxter is: 3130lbs
    the curb weight of a corvette is: 3217lbs
    so not even 100lbs of difference, and the corvette is a big heavy beast???
    The 2009 Corvette roadster has a curb weight of 3,222 lbs. The Boxster weighs 2,887 lbs. - a difference of 335 pounds.
    I do apologize, google mislead me there
    though thats with the MT
    the automatic tranny boxster does still weight in at 3009lbs, which narrows the gap a tad.
    still hardly an astronomical difference in the world of car weight
    the corvette is hardly a pig at 3200
    Never said it was a pig!

But it is a big car, physically - and fairly heavy, too. (Also - and this is subjective - the Boxster fits me better, which is surprising since I'm pretty tall/big. The 'Vette's interior is much more cramped for someone my size.)

I have driven both these cars (several of them) extensively, on the street and on the track. The Vette is a great car, no question - but so is the Porsche. Both have limits far beyond what 95 percent of their owners are remotely capable of as drivers.

an informal quick poll of the guys here at work returned the following:
    "the boxster? isnt that the one for gay guys?"
    "the boxster is the poor man's porsche, right?"

basically a few more of the same repeated by the rest of the people I checked with
    my wife agreed, btw

an informal quick poll of the guys here at work returned the following:
    "the boxster? isnt that the one for gay guys?"
    "the boxster is the poor man's porsche, right?"

basically a few more of the same repeated by the rest of the people I checked with
    my wife agreed, btw
    Right-o. But that's your circle; my circle thinks differently... and then there's Pete's circle... and so on.

Anecdotal "surveys" of this kind are pretty useless.

The Miata gets a lot of schiesse for being a "girl's car," too - but plenty of (straight) men buy it. And the Boxster is a much more capable (and quicker) car than the Miata!

lol I know this better than most, I used to OWN a miata
    but I still recognize that (while a great deal of fun) it is a girl's car

lol I know this better than most, I used to OWN a miata
    but I still recognize that (while a great deal of fun) it is a girl's car
    All the demographic data I have seen in the past shows Porsche sports cars including the Boxster have an overwhelming majority of males owning them. Only a small percentage of women own Porsche sports cars including the Boxster. It's a more common sight to see a woman driving a Corvette (which is a rarity) than a woman driving a Boxster. If women buy a German car they are more likely to buy a BMW or a Mercedes. So I can't see how you can call a Boxster a "girl's car".

I see the issue
    you guys are missing what I mean, when I say a girl's car
    I mean it is an extremely effeminate car
    girly, in appearance (if not in actual ownership)
    lacking in masculine qualities
    delicate

A girl's sports car?
    That would be the Mercedes SLK.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

I see the issue
    delicate
    The Porsche Boxster is more masculine looking than most small two seater sports cars such as the Mazda Miata, Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky, Mercedes SLK, etc. The Porsche Boxster looks like a modern version of the old Porsche 550 (which James Dean drove and died in). The problem is that it's very hard to make a small car look really muscular. It's like trying to make a midget look muscular like a 6'2" Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The only modern small 2 seater sports car that looked ultra muscular was the 2007 Dodge Demon Concept Car (which Dodge never made):

"but I still recognize that (while a great deal of fun) it is a girl's car"

What does this mean?

Certainly, plenty of men buy the car. And by any objective measure of sports car performance, it is a capable, credible car - and then some.

I understand that you think it is "girly" - but that's just a subjective opinion and others definitely disagree!

I see the issue
    delicate
    That's ridiculous.

A VW Rabbit cabrio is an "extremely effeminate car."

The Porsche people would be startled by your view; as Pete notes, Porsche buyers are overwhelmingly male.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete

Porsche has always made well balanced fast sports cars. Back in the late 1960s and early 1970s the 911 got a great reputation as a fast sports car with well balanced handling. However during this time a lot of muscle cars could beat the 911 in the 1/4 mile, however the 911 would beat most of them on the oval track.
    WHAT???

First of all, no one ever accused the classic 911 of being "well balanced". It was always a car that required an expert hand to keep from going off the road tail first into a tree.

And the average Porsche buyer couldn't care less about oval tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete

Porsche has always made well balanced fast sports cars. Back in the late 1960s and early 1970s the 911 got a great reputation as a fast sports car with well balanced handling. However during this time a lot of muscle cars could beat the 911 in the 1/4 mile, however the 911 would beat most of them on the oval track.
    WHAT???

First of all, no one ever accused the classic 911 of being "well balanced". It was always a car that required an expert hand to keep from going off the road tail first into a tree.

I think what Pete was trying to say is that Porsches have an established reputation for great handling as much as straight-line acceleration (and that they are superb road-racers, etc.). Hence, "balanced." Traditionally/historically, American performance cars have been better at accelerating than handling (or stopping). That includes the Corvette, by the way - which up until the mid 1980s was not much of a handler and had mediocre to inadequate brakes, etc.

Of course, it's also true that early Porsches were mostly pretty slow - like most sports cars. In America, "sports car" means a different thing than it does to Europeans. We really like press-you-in-the-small-of-the-back acceleration, which is why we love powerful cars. But sports cars were traditionally (and still are) mostly about nimble handling/responsiveness.

The Boxster is an excellent example of the traditional sports car - and also delivers acceleration that is very good, both in relative and absolute terms. (By the standards of even 10 years ago, its 5.8 seconds to 60 mph time and 150 mph top end would have been considered extremely top-shelf, not far off the pace of exotic supercars.)

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    WHAT???

I have driven a few 911s in my day, and they are easy to drive sports cars with great handling characteristics. They handle different than a traditional front engined rear-wheel drive sports car. It's takes a little time to get used to them, however once you get the feel of the car down, its not hard to get fantastic handling out of them.

When you get a chance page through a few auto magazines from the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. The Porsche 911s of these different decades always got at the top of the heap in terms of skidpad numbers. If these 911s were not well-balanced that would not be possible.

As for Porsche owners not caring anything about oval tracks, in my area alone the Porsche folks use the nearby oval more than any other sports car club I know of. In fact there is even a local shop that specializes in weekend racing conversions for Porsches, because so many owners want to make engine and suspension changes before a big race day or weekend at the local track. The local Porsche guys are most serious racers I have come into contact with. Not even the local Ferrari club which does race days is as serious as the Porsche guys.

Did you know the original plan back in the late 1970s was for the 928 to replace the 911? Porsche had originally intended for the 911 to be phased out. Of course the Porsche owners/buyers wanted no part of this, and the 911 lives and the 928 is long since deceased.