Thread: The Beginning of a New Civil War

The Beginning of a New Civil War

By Hwyhawg on Jul 29, 2008

As an American history buff, I liken this speed limit reduction to the War Between the States. Itís ironically similar. We have basically 51 battles to fight. Obviously the Feds, and the fifty states. If you doubt me, refer to House Resolution 6458 and Senate Bill 3266 on Capitol Hill. Now we have http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/ju...h_speed_limit/. The latter is (well, I canít find a word beyond ridiculous, so Iíll use riduculous). Bottom line is we have many battles to fight. We must remain vigilant.

I suspect that any federal action on speed limits will stall until 2009, after the election. Interestingly, my feel is that there will not be a national return to 55 mph, but possibly 60 or 65. Kansasí latest initiative is absolutely horrible public policy, and I hope the Kansas Legislature will see through this facade. Has anyone ever driven across Kansas? It is a desolate, nothing-for-miles, form of torture. 55 or 65 would literally drive those who wish to comply to a form of insanity and subsequent therapy. I was actually quite surprised that Kansas held out and refused to return to a reasonable 75 mph limit.

Like I mentioned above, we have 51 battles to fight. Two valid arguments which should ď86″ this craziness is that we will probably not realize more than 5-10% compliance, combined with 10-15 mph tolerance. By the way, it will move valuable, finite law enforcement resources to the safest roads (controlled-access Interstates) and away from primary and secondary two-lanes which are the most UNSAFE roads.

Let me bottom-line this for you: this is really, really stupid public policy, both at the Kansas level and the federal level.

Why? Why are we having to endure this nonsense. The NMA needs to get someone in Topeka pronto to fight this crap.

As far as CO/2 emissions, see my compliance and enforcement issues above. Zero sum gain.

Hwyhawg

PS: Henry/Eric, What's the best radar detector out there? Eric, I know you use a Valentine. What about Passport? Since I'll soon becoming a law-breaker, I want the best.

Staff

Re: The Beginning of a New Civil War

I think that federal action on speed limits will stall until 2009. I don't view an NMSL as inevitable.

Over the last two years, bills have been introduced to cut the speed limit to 65 mph in Alabama. It failed. In CT and NJ, they tried for 55. They died as well. In Minnesota, a similar recommendation has been made by the Global warming people. It has failed as well. I am not saying that Kansas will try for it, but it may not go anywhere there either.

Usually those energy council things do not go very far.

I am a little on edge about 2009. The good news is that we are watching for action on whether this may be introduced in an energy bill. That is the likely target. Also, highway reauthorization is being considered next year as well. It will be a busy 2009. The whole thing hinges on whether the the polls hold up in our favor. I think that they will.

The situation is different than it was in 1974. There was absolutely no organized opposition to the 55 mph limit back then. The difference now is that we have been down that road once and I think that a larger segment of the public has gotten tickets and are much more aware of the consequences of low speed limits than they were back then.

If they somehow manage to shove this down our throats, it won't be without a hell of a fight.

Aren't the high gas prices enough to make people want to slow down?

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Aren't the high gas prices enough to make people want to slow down?

Chip H.
    Some, but that's probably beside the point anyhow.

"Saving gas" is just a pretext - as it was during the original 55 MPH era. The real reason is the countless millions that stand to be raked in by state and local governments, who desperately need the "revenue" but are politically afraid to try a formal tax raise. There's also huge money for the insurance cartels - who will be able to jack up our rates on the basis of our "unsafe driving" habits, as evidenced by "speeding" tickets, etc.

Henry/Eric,

Thaks for the advice on the V1 detector. Per NMA's ad in Driving Freedoms, it's running at a price of $399, plus a $29 case and a $39 concealment mechinism which, Eric, I'm sure you have up there in VA. Is there a cheaper price for this model and accessories? Do you have to order direct? (Come to think of it, kinda funny that I'm worried about $470, considering that nowadays that's about 2,500 miles worth of gas- which would be about 6 weeks' worth of driving for me- and would have been about a third of the $171 I had to pay last month in court costs on a really stupid ticket.) Also like the owner loyalty discount.

Henry, I really, really, really hope you're right. My only concern is that, since 1987 (or even 1995 for that matter), we have had a whole new generation of drivers hit the roads, and while they seem to like to drive fast, they're also more politically liberal (interpret that as "green") than our generation. Please do not become complacent. Stay in contact with Baxter. Watch this crap closely.

If you don't pay attention to anything else I say, pay attention to this: We're NOW not only fighting the safety croud, but the conservation croud and the global warming nutcase croud. That's a lot of political clout if organized. Please keep me informed of lower speed limit eruptions, then let's get with Jim and fight this stuff. It's really simple. Quote predicted compliance (5-10%) and meager enforcement on already stretched police forces.

Hawg

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by hwyhawg
    Henry/Eric,

Thaks for the advice on the V1 detector. Per NMA's ad in Driving Freedoms, it's running at a price of $399, plus a $29 case and a $39 concealment mechinism which, Eric, I'm sure you have up there in VA. Is there a cheaper price for this model and accessories? Do you have to order direct? (Come to think of it, kinda funny that I'm worried about $470, considering that nowadays that's about 2,500 miles worth of gas- which would be about 6 weeks' worth of driving for me- and would have been about a third of the $171 I had to pay last month in court costs on a really stupid ticket.) Also like the owner loyalty discount.

Henry, I really, really, really hope you're right. My only concern is that, since 1987 (or even 1995 for that matter), we have had a whole new generation of drivers hit the roads, and while they seem to like to drive fast, they're also more politically liberal (interpret that as "green") than our generation. Please do not become complacent. Stay in contact with Baxter. Watch this crap closely.

If you don't pay attention to anything else I say, pay attention to this: We're NOW not only fighting the safety croud, but the conservation croud and the global warming nutcase croud. That's a lot of political clout if organized. Please keep me informed of lower speed limit eruptions, then let's get with Jim and fight this stuff. It's really simple. Quote predicted compliance (5-10%) and meager enforcement on already stretched police forces.

Hawg
    Hawg -

Hell no, I'm far from being complacent. I'm watching this very closely, as well. If there is something that grabs my attention, there is no doubt that it is being moved through the NMA pretty quickly.

I am aware that they may try and shove global warming speed limits down our throats and that's something to be worried about, but as long as gasoline stays high, a bit of air has been taken out of the global warming baloon. Public opinion polls are showing that energy and the economy are the number one issues.

The LA times just wrote an excellent editorial against reimposition of a national speed limit. The LA Times!!

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,4501440.story

If a national speed limit ever does come to pass, before I leave the country, I have a plan to make it nearly impossible for motorists to live with. Send me a personal mail if you want to hear what it is.

DonTom

"Aren't the high gas prices enough to make people want to slow down?"

Hell no!!!

Ever hear "time is money"?

-Don-

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom

Hell no!!!

-Don-
    If anything, I'm driving (and riding) faster, just to make a point!

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom

Hell no!!!

-Don-
    If anything, I'm driving (and riding) faster, just to make a point!
    Same here. I moderated my driving style for about a month. I maybe got 1.5-2 mpg better. It is not enough for me to continue driving slowly.

I am driving faster again.

Guys,

I totally agree with Henry. As I've mentioned before, I drive a 2006 Town Car. I know the following is hard to believe, but I actually do try to drive the posted limit, even in 55 zones (this has been a test). The urban interstate limit is 55, and I do try to comply with it. I think I recently read that the average speed in that 55 zone is 69 mph. I follow 55 on rural two-lanes, 65 on expressways and 70 on interstates (which are the current limits). With all of that, I get about 25-26 mpg. If I'm in a hurry and do 60-65, 70 and 75 or so, respectively, guess what. I get about 25-26 mpg.

This is one reason I asked you all's input on a great radar detector. I, too, am going back to driiving faster.

Hawg