Thread: Vertically challenged - this is for you then.

Vertically challenged - this is for you then.

According to Superbike scribe, Al Dowds, if you are somewhat vertically challenged this may be the answer to your biking dreams.

Ken.

Of all the bike firms, BMW is perhaps the one that most offers a 'bespoke' ordering service. Rather than go to a showroom and pick a bike in your favourite colour from a row of otherwise-identical machinery, the Bavarian firm builds your bike, to your spec, to order. So if you want a blue R1200GS with ABS, sat-nav, heated grips and trip computer, that's what you get six weeks later.

And now it's added a range of seat height variations to the options list. On six of the firm's most popular models (R1200GS, R1200R, R1200RT, F800S, F800ST, F650GS), you can have the bike delivered from the factory with specially-lowered suspension front and rear. These bikes have different shocks, altered linkages, and even different fork internals, depending on model. The option costs 90, and can cut up to 55mm off the seat height. BMW also offers specially lowered seats for almost all the range - from the K1200GT supertourer to the G650 Xmoto.

Al tried out a few of the lowered bikes at a BMW shindig recently. He's not so short - average height for a 70s child of Greenock he maintains, at five-foot eight inches. Even so, the shorter seat height was useful on machines like the R1200RT behemoth. The lowered centre-of-gravity improves balance, and having both feet flat on the ground at a standstill is reassuring. On the move, the pegs did feel a little too close to the seat though, so a bit of fine-tuning is what's required which is exactly what BMW is offering. With the combination of lowered suspension, adjustable standard seat, or special lowered seat option, you should be able to find a good match for your particular bodyshape and riding skillset.

More info from your local BMW dealer, or try www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk if in the uk.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Vertically challenged - this is for you then.

This is great news for guys like my friend Mike (Honda Hawk, etc.) but when you're taller than six feet, the reverse problem arises. If you like sport bikes, anyhow!

I have been confined to "super standards" for years because my frame ( 6ft 3, 200 pounds) is too gawky for virtually all serious sport bikes except for expensive Italian and German machines. Almost all the Japo stuff is too confining for anything other than 15-30 minute hot lap sessions at a track day.

I'm not sure why this is - because there are plenty of larger guys out there who ride (or want to ride) serious sport bikes. Yet most of the "roomy" bikes are big fat cruiser bikes designed for big fat guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    This is great news for guys like my friend Mike (Honda Hawk, etc.) but when you're taller than six feet, the reverse problem arises. If you like sport bikes, anyhow!

I have been confined to "super standards" for years because my frame ( 6ft 3, 200 pounds) is too gawky for virtually all serious sport bikes except for expensive Italian and German machines. Almost all the Japo stuff is too confining for anything other than 15-30 minute hot lap sessions at a track day.

I'm not sure why this is - because there are plenty of larger guys out there who ride (or want to ride) serious sport bikes. Yet most of the "roomy" bikes are big fat cruiser bikes designed for big fat guys!

At 5' 10" and a somewhat overweight 200lbs I seem to fit on most bikes although my leathers do seem to be shrinking :-[. The CBR6RR, although it looks diminutive, has plenty of room for me, and an 'over six foot' rider said he could happily manage 200 mile stints on the bike without distress. It would appear, from the 'rider position overlay' diagrams that Superbike often show in their multi bike test articles, that the differences between bikes from different manufacturers is quite small. On the CBR6RR the bars are actually higher and nearer the rider than they were on the old CBR6F series. We are only talking millimetres but the difference in comfort to the rider is quite marked.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken

At 5' 10" and a somewhat overweight 200lbs I seem to fit on most bikes although my leathers do seem to be shrinking :-[. The CBR6RR, although it looks diminutive, has plenty of room for me, and an 'over six foot' rider said he could happily manage 200 mile stints on the bike without distress. It would appear, from the 'rider position overlay' diagrams that Superbike often show in their multi bike test articles, that the differences between bikes from different manufacturers is quite small. On the CBR6RR the bars are actually higher and nearer the rider than they were on the old CBR6F series. We are only talking millimetres but the difference in comfort to the rider is quite marked.

Ken.
    I've ridden the CBR (and RC51)... they are loads of fun but my upper torso is too tall to do so comfortably for any length of time. A bike that fits me pretty nicely is the FZ-1; I like it a lot - but of course I am a Kaw guy so it's hard to break ranks!

Look at a Concours. It was built basically unchanged aver 22 years until early this year when Kawasaki introduced the Concours XIV. I'm 6 foot, 225 pounds and the Connie handles me just fine. You can remove the hard bags and remove the mount antlers and there are covers that cover the opening. You still have the fairing but it doesn't bother me. Under 5000 rpm, it's a fairly docile bike but when you hit 5 grand or more, the Ninja 900 underneath the skin comes out.The tail pipes scream and the air box howls. I've given more than one little darling an attitude adjustment with "Bonnie". I've done a few 700-800 mile days and my lady friend isn't petite. 7.5 gallon fuel tank (25 liter) means you don't have to stop more often than your own tank needs attention. This is a pretty good bike through the winter too. If it will start, usually around freezing, I ride. I did get electric gloves but otherwise, I plug a few vents and once warmed up, the engine keeps my feet toasty warm. Cheap to buy too.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.