Thread: KS - Lower Speed Limit Unlikely to Pass

Staff

KS - Lower Speed Limit Unlikely to Pass

Lower speed limit not likely to pass

http://www.saljournal.com/rdnews/sto...limits-8-13-08

By CHRIS GREEN

Harris News Service

TOPEKA -- The maximum speed limit on highways in Kansas would be dropped from 70 to 65 mph under a proposal set to receive further consideration from a state energy panel.

The Kansas Energy Council gave a preliminary nod Wednesday to reducing the state's speed limit as a way of encouraging more energy-efficient driving and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

The decrease, which would require a change in state law, appears to be a long way from becoming reality. But supporters said they wanted to continue to debate the proposal.

"I guess I'm going to vote for this just as a way of advancing the public discussion," said Lt. Gov. Mark Parkinson, the council's co-chairman. "Gas has never been $4 a gallon. We're in a different environment."

However, state Sen. Janis Lee, D-Kensington, said the change stood no chance of making it through the Kansas Legislature.

"There's no way, shape or form this is going pass," said Lee, a member of the panel.

Speed limit one of many plans

Lowering the maximum speed limit was just one of several proposals brought before the panel as a way of helping Kansas curb man-made greenhouse gas emissions, which have been tied by scientists to global warming.

The 35-member council, created by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius in 2004 to study state energy policy, plans to take comments on its proposals from Sept. 8 through Oct. 10.

Co-chairman Ken Frahm said the group also plans at least two meetings where the public will be able to speak before the council finalizes its recommendations later this year.

Another recommendation endorsed by the panel would increase the fines for speeding by 50 percent. The council also is discussing reducing the so-called "10-mile exemption" on highways to 5 mph.

Under the present exemption, drivers can be ticketed for driving less than 10 mph over the speed limit, but such infractions wouldn't be counted as moving violations on their driving records.

Reducing the exemption would mean that drivers ticketed for driving more than 5 mph above the speed limit would face moving violations that could increase their auto insurance rates.

Panel members said that getting drivers to slow down even a little bit would make a difference in fuel efficiency and the amount of greenhouse gases being generated.

Reducing heat-trapping gases

Reducing driving speed from 70 mph to 65 mph is expected to increase fuel economy by 7 to 23 percent while also reducing carbon dioxide emissions and other heat-trapping gases, according to the council.

Secretary of Transportation Deb Miller said the average speed on Kansas highways posted with 70 mph limits is 78 mph. The average speed on rural roads posted with 65 mph limits is 75 mph, she said.

Most of the highways that would be affected by the 5 mph change would be interstate highways and heavily traveled federal or state highways, she said.

A better mousetrap

Michael J. Volker, an energy economist for Midwest Energy in Hays, said people living in the western part of the state would be disproportionately hurt by a decrease in the speed limit.

He said he'd prefer to see the council push for changes that would result in more fuel-efficient vehicles being out on the roads, such as requiring automakers to sell more gas-conserving models.

"We'd much rather see us build a better mousetrap rather than lower our standard of living by making us spend more time on the road."

We could do it now

However, Bruce Snead of Manhattan, who led the council committee studying ways to reduce greenhouse gases, said those changes would take time.

"It's something that can happen now," Snead said of the speed-limit reduction.

Wednesday's discussion came at the same time that Kansas drivers appear to be scaling back their driving in response to higher gasoline prices.

Travel on Kansas roads dropped by 6.7 percent in June compared to the amount of miles driven in that same month a year ago, the Federal Highway Administration announced Wednesday.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: KS - Lower Speed Limit Unlikely to Pass

In honor of this, I just got back from a quick ride on my bike - and a "finale" of 152 mph at the top of fourth gear, just before the turn off to the road that leads to our house!

Staff

Nice. Keep it up.

My drive to work was mainly in the right hand lane at bursts to 95. The yo yos were doing 65-70 in the left lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Nice. Keep it up.

My drive to work was mainly in the right hand lane at bursts to 95. The yo yos were doing 65-70 in the left lane.

Several times I've zipped right to work driving in the right lane. This morning, I came up to a light that turned green as I got to it. Nobody in the left lane and I barely had to slow any. The left lane had 8 cars in it. They stayed there all the way to the next town. I probably saved 5-10 minutes on the drive I've made for 30+ years. Cruise kept me steady so fuel use was probably down too.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

DonTom

"Reducing driving speed from 70 mph to 65 mph is expected to increase fuel economy by 7 to 23 percent while also reducing carbon dioxide emissions and other heat-trapping gases, according to the council."

That may be true. However, changing the speed limit from 70 to 65 MPH won't change the average speed a bit. At least not until a cop is seen.

-Don-

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "Reducing driving speed from 70 mph to 65 mph is expected to increase fuel economy by 7 to 23 percent while also reducing carbon dioxide emissions and other heat-trapping gases, according to the council."

That may be true. However, changing the speed limit from 70 to 65 MPH won't change the average speed a bit. At least not until a cop is seen.
    You've hit upon the crux of the matter - posted speed limit and average driving speed are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom

-Don-
    Yep. But it's a good way to increase the pool of potential "donors" to the state - and that, ultimately, is what this is all about....

Henry,

These fools want to reduce the "official tolerance" 10 mph buffer, as well. The Kansas Legislature can do whatever it wishes. I would bet my laptop that, if this passes (which it won't), the average speed in the new 65 zones won't change one bit. And the cops WON'T CARE. They have more important things to do.

As a footnote, besides drive55.org, we need to start watching this new "eco-driving" movement. They are thinly disguising a national speed limit law/decrease in their tip about maintaining a constant speed. Within that tip, they clearly state that any speed over 60 drinks gas. This position not suprisingly corresponds with John Warner/Joe Liberman's bill in the Senate. This is totally stupid for at LEAST two reasons: No compliance; no enforcement. It will be routinely ignored, even by the cops (with the possible exception of Virginia, which outlaws radar detectors and uses DRACONIAN speed enforcement; trust me, I used to live there). Really dissappointed in Liberman on this. Henry/Eric, join me in an e-mail to him to give him some things to think about before he pushes this stupid bill (S. 3266) which, ironically, has drilling provisions, which are a good thing.

Two things to watch: drive55.org, and the eco-driving movement. Perhaps, as a third, Joan Claybrook (if she's still around), and a fourth, the insurance industry. Has anyone noticed that State Farm and Allstate are raising their premiums in Texas (which just happens to have short stretches of 80 mph signs).

Hawg

Quote Originally Posted by hwyhawg
    Henry,

These fools want to reduce the "official tolerance" 10 mph buffer, as well. The Kansas Legislature can do whatever it wishes. I would bet my laptop that, if this passes (which it won't), the average speed in the new 65 zones won't change one bit. And the cops WON'T CARE. They have more important things to do.

As a footnote, besides drive55.org, we need to start watching this new "eco-driving" movement. They are thinly disguising a national speed limit law/decrease in their tip about maintaining a constant speed. Within that tip, they clearly state that any speed over 60 drinks gas. This position not suprisingly corresponds with John Warner/Joe Liberman's bill in the Senate. This is totally stupid for at LEAST two reasons: No compliance; no enforcement. It will be routinely ignored, even by the cops (with the possible exception of Virginia, which outlaws radar detectors and uses DRACONIAN speed enforcement; trust me, I used to live there). Really dissappointed in Liberman on this. Henry/Eric, join me in an e-mail to him to give him some things to think about before he pushes this stupid bill (S. 3266) which, ironically, has drilling provisions, which are a good thing.

Two things to watch: drive55.org, and the eco-driving movement. Perhaps, as a third, Joan Claybrook (if she's still around), and a fourth, the insurance industry. Has anyone noticed that State Farm and Allstate are raising their premiums in Texas (which just happens to have short stretches of 80 mph signs).

Hawg
    Joe Lieberman is an enemy of the state; I loathe that oleaginous, slimy, double-talking shyster almost as much as I do The Chimp! 8)

Staff

I loathe Leiberman as much or more than the Chimp.