Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyundai Genesis

Hyundai Genesis

Today, I attended the Houston showing of the Hyundai Genesis Luxury Car. It was an invitational thing and you made an appointment for a test drive on a closed course track that allowed you to do a lot of things that couldn't be done on normal roads. That included full throttle starts and stops on slippery surfaces, the sam on dry surfaces, a complete hard twisty course with sand and mud and dry pavement, and then do the same in a Mercedes and a Cadillac CTS.
    The Hyundai was very impressive-- made the Mercedes look like 10 year old technology and the Cadillac the same. I took a friend who owns a new Cadillac CTS and after he did the course, he called his wife and told her to get her personal belongings out of the Caddy-- ;D
    Best liked to me was the fact that there is a lot of rear seat leg room that isn't in the Mercedes or Caddy-- The Mercedes had a little more torque and acceleration, but not 28 grand worth. The Mercedes was difficult to enter and exit as was the Caddy when compared to the Genesis.
    Driving the twisties was easier with the Genesis than either the Mercedes or Caddy also. The traction control and stability control was also slightly better.
    Price was about the same as the Cadillac CTS. Other than name recognition, I see no reason to buy anything in a luxury vehicle than the Hyundai. So far it beats everything that I've sat in including another friends Lexus 460--- and at half the price of the 460!

Re: Hyundai Genesis

Now let's see if this quality trickles down to the rest of their product line?

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    They are sitting in 4th place right now-- I find little to complain about my 2003 Sante Fe--- It's as good or better than my Toyota!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    Today, I attended the Houston showing of the Hyundai Genesis Luxury Car. It was an invitational thing and you made an appointment for a test drive on a closed course track that allowed you to do a lot of things that couldn't be done on normal roads. That included full throttle starts and stops on slippery surfaces, the sam on dry surfaces, a complete hard twisty course with sand and mud and dry pavement, and then do the same in a Mercedes and a Cadillac CTS.
    The Hyundai was very impressive-- made the Mercedes look like 10 year old technology and the Cadillac the same. I took a friend who owns a new Cadillac CTS and after he did the course, he called his wife and told her to get her personal belongings out of the Caddy-- ;D
    Best liked to me was the fact that there is a lot of rear seat leg room that isn't in the Mercedes or Caddy-- The Mercedes had a little more torque and acceleration, but not 28 grand worth. The Mercedes was difficult to enter and exit as was the Caddy when compared to the Genesis.
    Driving the twisties was easier with the Genesis than either the Mercedes or Caddy also. The traction control and stability control was also slightly better.
    Price was about the same as the Cadillac CTS. Other than name recognition, I see no reason to buy anything in a luxury vehicle than the Hyundai. So far it beats everything that I've sat in including another friends Lexus 460--- and at half the price of the 460!
    It is a very impressive car; what's even more impressive is that Hyundai has gone from Excels to the Genesis in the space of roughly just 20 years!

You're about 10 years behind the curve. Hyundai is actually among the best-rated brands for durability and quality/customer satisfaction. Their cars have been excellent (not just excellent values) for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    You're about 10 years behind the curve. Hyundai is actually among the best-rated brands for durability and quality/customer satisfaction. Their cars have been excellent (not just excellent values) for some time.
    I'm not talkikng about build quality.

I mean making cars that you'd actually WANT to drive. Apart from the Genesis, they're still playing catch up. They haven't yet made a compact as good as a 1996 Civic.

>>I mean making cars that you'd actually WANT to drive. <<

The last car I'd want to drive would be a small, hard to enter/exit noisey Civic--- those are for kids with fart cans for exhaust.
    You obviously haven't driven any of the SanteFe/Veracruz/Sonata--- cars---

I'm unconcerned with SUVs, and while the Sonata is decent, it still lacks compared to an Accord. I'd say they've caught up to Mitsubishi though (except for the Evo).

How much time have you spent in a '96-'01 Civic?

I'm not talkikng about build quality.

I mean making cars that you'd actually WANT to drive. Apart from the Genesis, they're still playing catch up. They haven't yet made a compact as good as a 1996 Civic.
    When you say "good" what does that mean?

If "good" means, affordable, reliable, solidly built and well-equipped, any Hyundai qualifies. The Civic is both way over-rated and overpriced (the base coupe is almost $4,000 more to start than the base Accent coupe; that is big money in the $15k and under segment, which, after all, is a segment where affordability is among the most important criteria for the typical buyer).

Yes, the Civic is a good car. But the Hyundai Accent is just as competent as basic transpo - and a much better value.

If the standard is "driver's car" of course Hyundai falls short. But if you want a great little economy car (or a very nice mid-sized/family type car) Hyundai is extremely competitive.

>>How much time have you spent in a '96-'01 Civic?<<

Enough to realize that it's too small and rides too rough and is too noisey for me-- may be good for you, but it ain't my kind of car!

I'm unconcerned with SUVs, and while the Sonata is decent, it still lacks compared to an Accord. I'd say they've caught up to Mitsubishi though (except for the Evo).

How much time have you spent in a '96-'01 Civic?
    Mitsubishi continues to have quality control issues; Hyundai hasn't had for years.

The Accord (like the Civic, see my previous post) is a nice car but pricey. That's fine - if you need the power it offers and want the high-speed handling, etc. Many just want a nice, ell-equipped & comfortable car - that is reasonably priced. On that score, Hyundai is hard to beat!

If the standard is "driver's car" of course Hyundai falls short. But if you want a great little economy car (or a very nice mid-sized/family type car) Hyundai is extremely competitive.
    The standard is always "driver's car". Or at least have something to offer for people who actually like cars. I couldn't care less how well a cheap car scores as an automotive transport appliance. I'm waiting for Hyundai to catch up, across the model line, in true on-road competence. Adequacy isn't enough.

>>I'm waiting for Hyundai to catch up, across the model line, in true on-road competence. Adequacy isn't enough.<<

You certainly wouldn't want to bust your bubble and drive the Genesis, would you---- And, coming soon is a coupe with a V-8 power that will take on the Mustang GT

"The standard is always "driver's car". "

Says who? My mother in law could care less about "driver's cars." So also my dad, my wife... lots of people I know. There are many people who view cars as transportation. They want it to be comfortable, smooth, quiet. They drive at or near the speed limit; they don't care about high-speed handling/cornering. This is reality.

I, like you, prefer "driver's cars." But it's just not true that most people do.

>>I, like you, prefer "driver's cars." But it's just not true that most people do. <<

And I like most folks prefer comfort and convenience instead of the "track runner"-- Driver's cars are fun for about 30 minutes--then, I want transportation to go from point a to b----

>>I, like you, prefer "driver's cars." But it's just not true that most people do. <<

And I like most folks prefer comfort and convenience instead of the "track runner"-- Driver's cars are fun for about 30 minutes--then, I want transportation to go from point a to b----

Three cars that nicely fitted the 'dual' requirement for me were, in date order, my Opel Manta Berlinetta, Vauxhall Cavalier SRi and my VW Scirocco. No power steering but, with about two and a bit turns lock to lock, not excessively heavy yet direct enough to be able to place the car 'just so'. Suspension sporty enough to give good handling when pressing on yet, at the same time, compliant enough to be able to drive four hundred miles or so without discomfort. Seats not rally style but still giving good lateral grip on fast corners. All three cars ideal for the UK but probably not suited for US long distance driving.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

>>I'm waiting for Hyundai to catch up, across the model line, in true on-road competence. Adequacy isn't enough.<<

You certainly wouldn't want to bust your bubble and drive the Genesis, would you---- And, coming soon is a coupe with a V-8 power that will take on the Mustang GT
    Remember how this line of inquiry started? I think it was acknowledged that the Geneses "has the stuff". I'd love to get an opportunity to try one. I was wondering when the rest of the line would catch up, since they apparently know how.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken

Three cars that nicely fitted the 'dual' requirement for me were, in date order, my Opel Manta Berlinetta, Vauxhall Cavalier SRi and my VW Scirocco. No power steering but, with about two and a bit turns lock to lock, not excessively heavy yet direct enough to be able to place the car 'just so'. Suspension sporty enough to give good handling when pressing on yet, at the same time, compliant enough to be able to drive four hundred miles or so without discomfort. Seats not rally style but still giving good lateral grip on fast corners. All three cars ideal for the UK but probably not suited for US long distance driving.

Ken.
    The Scirocco coped just fine with US demands.

>>Remember how this line of inquiry started? I think it was acknowledged that the Geneses "has the stuff". I'd love to get an opportunity to try one. I was wondering when the rest of the line would catch up, since they apparently know how.<<

I guess when they can sell thier cars for more than the competition-- They are the largest industrial corporation in the Far East--- they certainly don't need to make money from their cars. The rep we had for the demo said that their current CEO is after Toyota.
    Perhaps you should take a look at and test drive some of their other cars--- then when they have the Genesis demo in your area, go there and beg your way in--- I'll bet they'll allow you in with little or no begging---
    I compare their vehicles--full line-- with the competition and find that you get more bang for the buck with a Hyundai in any size.

How did I miss this Hyundai thread? Have I said lately how much I heart my Sonata? And it was made just 13 miles down the road.