Thread: Chevy small block V-8 bench press!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Chevy small block V-8 bench press!

Re: Chevy small block V-8 bench press!

That's funny.

I don't understand why the modern powerlifter must have a enormous fat stomach. Back in the classic era these powerlifters where in much better shape with a low body fat percentage. These modern powerlifters may have big arms, chests, etc. but their mid sections all look like Jabba the Hut.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    That's funny.

I don't understand why the modern powerlifter must have a enormous fat stomach. Back in the classic era these powerlifters where in much better shape with a low body fat percentage. These modern powerlifters may have big arms, chests, etc. but their mid sections all look like Jabba the Hut.
    I don't know whether this is the right answer, but I am much stronger when I get heavier. I find it very hard to maintain my "best" bench press when I'm in my "lean" condition around 195 lbs. When I bulk up to around 210, I find I can work out with heavier weights more easily and my strength is definitely up. The price for this is a bit of a gut.

I am guessing it's the same deal with the powerlifters.....

That is so true. Being heavier does help in lifting. However some of these guys are so unhealthy. I remember reading about a bench press champion who ate hords of fast food. His belly was enormous but he could do 800 lbs bench presses with ease. Personally I'd rather do less and have no belly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    That is so true. Being heavier does help in lifting. However some of these guys are so unhealthy. I remember reading about a bench press champion who ate hords of fast food. His belly was enormous but he could do 800 lbs bench presses with ease. Personally I'd rather do less and have no belly.
    Yeah, me too!

Strength does not necessarily equate with health. A 350 pound guy might be able to bench more than me, but he'd be on the verge of collapse attempting to climb a couple flights of stairs!

Guys that big often have high blood pressure/cholesterol - in addition to poor aerobic capacity. Note that you rarely see guys that large in their 70s or 80s.

Or even in their 60s....