Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Another victim of the war on drugs.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628

    Another victim of the war on drugs.

    One more reason why science education in America is doomed. It is apparently illegal to own laboratory glassware in Texas. Much less possess chemicals any more potent than laundry starch or sea salt.

    http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/20...raid_on_ch.php

    Chip H.

    Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: Another victim of the war on drugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    One more reason why science education in America is doomed. It is apparently illegal to own laboratory glassware in Texas. Much less possess chemicals any more potent than laundry starch or sea salt.

    http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/20...raid_on_ch.php

    Chip H.
    If laundry starch is what I think, it might make a pretty good bang if done right.

    Anyway, anyone who never set his bedroom on fire had a sad and empty youth.


  3. #3
    D_E_Davis
    Guest

    Re: Another victim of the war on drugs.

    The comments on that story are most interesting. Today's chemistry sets are a joke! For the grandkids I had to ferret out some decent acids (sulfuric, nitric) just in order that they could actually do something. The hardest to get are the oxidizers (sodium nitrate, sodium chlorate, etc) - everyone looked at me as if I was planning to create a bonb.


  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628

    Re: Another victim of the war on drugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    If laundry starch is what I think, it might make a pretty good bang if done right.

    Anyway, anyone who never set his bedroom on fire had a sad and empty youth.
    Ask any grain silo operator about how explosive fine-grained dust is.


    Never set the bedroom on fire, but I had a fun time with bottle rockets and small Matchbox cars. The cars seldom survived their high-speed runs.

    Chip H.

    Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: Another victim of the war on drugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    The comments on that story are most interesting. Today's chemistry sets are a joke! For the grandkids I had to ferret out some decent acids (sulfuric, nitric) just in order that they could actually do something. The hardest to get are the oxidizers (sodium nitrate, sodium chlorate, etc) - everyone looked at me as if I was planning to create a bonb.

    I was a big fan of potassium nitrate which was very available in areas where people cured their own meat.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: Another victim of the war on drugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by chiph

    Never set the bedroom on fire, but I had a fun time with bottle rockets and small Matchbox cars. The cars seldom survived their high-speed runs.

    Chip H.
    Darn! There is something I haven't tried.

  7. #7
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,153

    Re: Another victim of the war on drugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    If laundry starch is what I think, it might make a pretty good bang if done right.

    Anyway, anyone who never set his bedroom on fire had a sad and empty youth.


    I never set my bedroom on fire but a friend wondered if he could make a shaped charge with black powder and some metal pieces. He could and he did. Alas, he set it off in the trunk of his car inside a wooden barn. He hid in the woods for three days afterward. Myself and some of the other guys were making food runs to him. His dad caught me and told me he knew what I was doing and to tell him to come home. It was his car anyway and they were going to tear the barn down. He wasn't happy though as the wood was sold.

    I'll admit, it made a perfect little hole in the floor of the trunk. He just didn't think about the fuel tank under the floor.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

  8. #8
    D_E_Davis
    Guest

    Re: Another victim of the war on drugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    I was a big fan of potassium nitrate which was very available in areas where people cured their own meat.
    That I couldn't get, no matter how hard I tried. But, there was a pill for treating cattle that was mostly sodium chlorate. Now, with that along with sulfur from the garden shop and charcoal from the trash fire in the back yard - voila, I was in business.


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: Another victim of the war on drugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    I was a big fan of potassium nitrate which was very available in areas where people cured their own meat.
    That I couldn't get, no matter how hard I tried. But, there was a pill for treating cattle that was mostly sodium chlorate. Now, with that along with sulfur from the garden shop and charcoal from the trash fire in the back yard - voila, I was in business.

    Perhaps where we lived did make a difference, at the time I lived in country VT.

  10. #10
    D_E_Davis
    Guest

    Re: Another victim of the war on drugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    Perhaps where we lived did make a difference, at the time I lived in country VT.
    Being city kids, my brother and I found a ready market for our production of what were similar to M-80s today (1943, IIRC). But we brought in an outsider, much to our regret. Ron had visions of great things, soon began producing gas-pipe cannons, etc. We dissolved our enterprise not long before Ron discovered the police and the juvenile justice system.


  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: Another victim of the war on drugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    Perhaps where we lived did make a difference, at the time I lived in country VT.
    Being city kids, my brother and I found a ready market for our production of what were similar to M-80s today (1943, IIRC). But we brought in an outsider, much to our regret. Ron had visions of great things, soon began producing gas-pipe cannons, etc. We dissolved our enterprise not long before Ron discovered the police and the juvenile justice system.

    A friend built a cannon with a bbl of heavy brass or copper tubing. Upon firing the bbl took on some unseemly bulges so it was back to the drawing board. The next one was a bored out piece of truck axle which held up well enough but produced so much recoil that it wrecked a very nice carriage. Following that there was the pipe bomb experiment which lelt us half deaf for a day ut caused no other damage.

    Life was not easy for a kid in those days.

  12. #12
    D_E_Davis
    Guest

    Re: Another victim of the war on drugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    A friend built a cannon with a bbl of heavy brass or copper tubing. Upon firing the bbl took on some unseemly bulges so it was back to the drawing board. The next one was a bored out piece of truck axle which held up well enough but produced so much recoil that it wrecked a very nice carriage. Following that there was the pipe bomb experiment which lelt us half deaf for a day ut caused no other damage.

    Life was not easy for a kid in those days.
    Had you asked (back then) I coulda told you that galvanized water/gas pipe works very well, and certain glass marbles excellent projectiles. If the experiment "caused no other damage" then it was incumbent to repeat until a more satisfactory result was achived, right?


  13. #13
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,153

    Re: Another victim of the war on drugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    A friend built a cannon with a bbl of heavy brass or copper tubing. Upon firing the bbl took on some unseemly bulges so it was back to the drawing board. The next one was a bored out piece of truck axle which held up well enough but produced so much recoil that it wrecked a very nice carriage. Following that there was the pipe bomb experiment which lelt us half deaf for a day ut caused no other damage.

    Life was not easy for a kid in those days.
    Had you asked (back then) I coulda told you that galvanized water/gas pipe works very well, and certain glass marbles excellent projectiles. If the experiment "caused no other damage" then it was incumbent to repeat until a more satisfactory result was achived, right?


    We have fun with acetylene at work. One guy was putting the torch head with the oxygen off and not lit into a steel pipe. Then he'd get back and light the torch and touch it off. He quit when he noticed the end swelling on the pipe. We also have fun with acetylene in baloons when someone is using a cutting torch. roll them under the work and let the sparks get to them.

    BANG!

    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

  14. #14
    D_E_Davis
    Guest

    Re: Another victim of the war on drugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by grouch

    We have fun with acetylene at work. One guy was putting the torch head with the oxygen off and not lit into a steel pipe. Then he'd get back and light the torch and touch it off. He quit when he noticed the end swelling on the pipe. We also have fun with acetylene in baloons when someone is using a cutting torch. roll them under the work and let the sparks get to them.

    BANG!
    A rod and bar mill has the gases plumbed along the line, with long hoses to each torch. Sometimes, during the excitement of a mill cobble, a hunk of glowing steel would land on a hose set and burn it open. Then the real fun would start, as the hose end would flop around spouting flame at everyone.


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2010, 08:23 AM
  2. War On Drugs Nails Innocent Grandma
    By Mase in forum The Maggots...
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-30-2009, 06:38 AM
  3. Drugs Olympics winning
    By robmcg in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 07:08 PM
  4. Vietnam & drugs
    By DonTom in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 10:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •