Thread: Honda's flexible assembly lines are a strategic advantage

Honda's flexible assembly lines are a strategic advantage

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,3877203.story

One recent morning, the Honda Motor Co. plant here churned out 120 Civic compacts. Then the production line came to a halt and workers in white uniforms swept in to install new hand-like parts on the giant gray robots that weld steel into the cars' frames.

About five minutes later, the line roared back to life, and the robots began zapping together a longer, taller vehicle, the CR-V crossover.
    Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Honda's flexible assembly lines are a strategic advantage

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,3877203.story

One recent morning, the Honda Motor Co. plant here churned out 120 Civic compacts. Then the production line came to a halt and workers in white uniforms swept in to install new hand-like parts on the giant gray robots that weld steel into the cars' frames.

About five minutes later, the line roared back to life, and the robots began zapping together a longer, taller vehicle, the CR-V crossover.
    Chip H.

I've been through one of these plants - and the way it works is really something to see

The folks over at HondaSuv.com have been trying to get a plant tour for some time.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

You've gotta get over this SUV thing, Chip.

Cars are for fun, not practicality.

The CR-V just keeps running and running!

Although, I did have to make some minor repairs the other week. The clutch pedal return spring needed greasing. And a bolt holding the alternator on fell out and needed replacing.

Neither are cause to sell the SUV just yet. 126,000 miles is just getting warmed up for a Honda.

Chip H.

The CR-V just keeps running and running!

Neither are cause to sell the SUV just yet. 126,000 miles is just getting warmed up for a Honda.

Chip H.
    That's the main problem with a Honda - it will last forever so you need to like the looks when you buy it.

I did have to make some minor repairs the other week. The clutch pedal return spring needed greasing. And a bolt holding the alternator on fell out and needed replacing.
    126,000 miles is just getting warmed up for a Honda.
    It shouldn't be allowed. Reliability is no good for the economy.

My LS1 2001 sedan still sounds like a bag of random noises on cold startup... but nobody has offered an explanation, except "they all do that"... it's louder than piston slap, which it has... and is belt/pulley clicking and hydraulic lifter rattle, in various degree according to phase-of-moon. But at least it is BRITISH! Well, Canadian...

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg

My LS1 2001 sedan still sounds like a bag of random noises on cold startup... but nobody has offered an explanation, except "they all do that"... it's louder than piston slap, which it has... and is belt/pulley clicking and hydraulic lifter rattle, in various degree according to phase-of-moon. But at least it is BRITISH! Well, Canadian...
    For your car, I recommend a crank case fill of half STP and half straight 50 wgt oil.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    That's the main problem with a Honda - it will last forever so you need to like the looks when you buy it.
    If I were going to replace it, I'd look at the 2009 Pilot. The newer generation of CR-V has lost it's 'truckiness' and resembles a wagon with a lift-kit. The new Pilot resembles the 1st generation, a look that I happen to like.

Chip H.