Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palin being "annointed" against witchcraft

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Palin being "annointed" against witchcraft

This video's pretty disturbing; Palin comes in for her "annointing" around the 7 minute mark:

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/17409

gail

Re: Palin being "annointed" against witchcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    This video's pretty disturbing; Palin comes in for her "annointing" around the 7 minute mark:

It's disturbing alright. Can you imagine prim Sarah in church wearing slacks. Gasp! The horror of it all. Could the hatemongers fouled up and Sarah's lookalike wandered in to the scene dressed inappropriately. But of course, you don't go to strict churches so you wouldn't know that women still wear dresses or skirts. Mormon meetings even at beach or ski resorts still wear dresses or skirts and the men wear white shirts and ties. I know that Sarah isn't a Mormon, but seeing how she dresses, I can't imagine that she would show up for a church service in slacks. But then, I'm been known to be wrong a time or two.

Quote Originally Posted by gail

It's disturbing alright. Can you imagine prim Sarah in church wearing slacks. Gasp! The horror of it all. Could the hatemongers fouled up and Sarah's lookalike wandered in to the scene dressed inappropriately. But of course, you don't go to strict churches so you wouldn't know that women still wear dresses or skirts. Mormon meetings even at beach or ski resorts still wear dresses or skirts and the men wear white shirts and ties. I know that Sarah isn't a Mormon, but seeing how she dresses, I can't imagine that she would show up for a church service in slacks. But then, I'm been known to be wrong a time or two.
    Who said anything about her slacks?

What's troubling is her willing in participation in a bizarre rite; that she belongs to a church that believes in such dangerous nonsense.

Try to understand, Gail, that those of us who don't want a theocracy, don't "believe" that this or that is "god's will" - are bothered by displays like this....

gail

[quote=Eric ]

Who said anything about her slacks?
    I did. She just wouldn't have worn slacks to a church service.

What's troubling is her willing in participation in a bizarre rite; that she belongs to a church that believes in such dangerous nonsense.
    Most Americans believe in varying degrees, Eric. You are in the minority on this issue.

Try to understand, Gail, that those of us who don't want a theocracy, don't "believe" that this or that is "god's will" - are bothered by displays like this....
    I do understand how uncomfortable you feel over the religious issues, but they aren't going to go away. Every president that I know of how attended church. I don't even know of a congress person that doesn't profess some type of religion, do you?

As to the church video that you posted, I think it is a fake or an impostor. I do not think it is Sarah at all. Here is a web site that shows her, in a skirt, speaking in a church. It will still be painful for you to watch, but it will not be like the one you posted.

Except for the national spotlight, Wasilla Bible Church resembles thousands of conservative evangelical churches across the country.

http://wthrockmorton.com/2008/09/02/...h-affiliation/

The legitimacy of that video is not in question; it's her.

And while you're quite right (unfortunately) that there are legions of dimwits out there who share and "amen" such bizarre views, it's no less appalling to people who aren't addled by idiocies such as a belief in witchcraft and devil-possessed territory, who don't babble in gibberish ('tongue talking") handle snakes, writhe on the floor "in the spirit" - or believe the GOP is god's chosen instrument in the world and lust for the coming "rapture."

Those who believe in such insane nonsense are free to do so, of course. But no one who practices or even condones such crap should be allowed near public office - and access to power over others.

Those who believe in such insane nonsense are free to do so, of course. But no one who practices or even condones such crap should be allowed near public office - and access to power over others.

AMEN, I say Amen brother (shakes tambourine, swings incense burner and self flagellates with thorn bush branches). The fact that our ex Prime Minister (Tony B.Liar) thought 'God' was giving him personal guidance was, to me, the first signs of impending insanity. This feeling was reinforced when he handed over the reins to Gordon Brown, the biggest incompetent in the Labour party's history. ;D

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

And - I can only imagine your eruption if a video surfaced showing Odumbo being "annointed" by some crazed Imam.... but I forget - your fundie religious insanity is the "true faith."

gail

Quote Originally Posted by Ken

AMEN, I say Amen brother (shakes tambourine, swings incense burner and self flagellates with thorn bush branches). The fact that our ex Prime Minister (Tony B.Liar) thought 'God' was giving him personal guidance was, to me, the first signs of impending insanity. This feeling was reinforced when he handed over the reins to Gordon Brown, the biggest incompetent in the Labour party's history. ;D

Ken.
    You do realize that you are in the minority in the Go/faith issue, don't you? Recent polls show that 92 % of the people believe in God. 75% of the people polled prayed everyday. A person would not get elected if they didn't profess a faith in God.

One who has never had a spiritual experience can never understand. Although most people if not all have had one, often they don't recognize it. Scientist have proven that people with a deep faith in God fare better in a crisis, or disaster than those who do not have faith. Excuse me - the Lord calls.

Ken.
    You do realize that you are in the minority in the Go/faith issue, don't you? Recent polls show that 92 % of the people believe in God. 75% of the people polled prayed everyday. A person would not get elected if they didn't profess a faith in God.

One who has never had a spiritual experience can never understand. Although most people if not all have had one, often they don't recognize it. Scientist have proven that people with a deep faith in God fare better in a crisis, or disaster than those who do not have faith. Excuse me - the Lord calls.
    I have no objection to being in a minority, Gail. Maybe I am merely one of the minority to has not just been blindly indoctrinated but has actually attended Sunday School, regularly attended church, read about religion, thought about religion, had many theological discussions with ministers of various faiths, looked at what has been done in the world in the name of religion and finally, after a few years consideration, made up my own mind. To base actions on an indoctrinated, blind, unproven belief is, to me, living an unthinking life. I fully accept that there are many, many people who NEED a belief in a greater power, an afterlife, heaven and everlasting life in order to survive - thankfully I am not one of them - to slightly alter a very old phrase 'I am the captain of my fate and the master of my being.' When disaster strikes and the God believers are all on their knees praying, I would sooner be sorting out what needs to be done to help me, and those around me, survive. I can assure you that your professed God will not be there to help. When being shot at in the Canal Zone (Suez), God, as at any other time of crisis/danger in my life, never clouded my mind with unecessary and useless emotion.

The above comments are purely to explain where I am coming from and are in no way intended to try and influence anyone else's thoughts or provoke discussion. Religion and politics, as I have said before, I consider to be the two greatest evils in today's world and not really worthy of argument.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

gail

Are there any non-atheist on this thread? Do I stand alone? It is curious that i should end up with the 5% of non-believers. Maybe I have a mission and didn't know it.

Just rest assure that while we are waiting for the crisis/danger I am preparing for it. As you might know Mormon are taught to do that. Do what? Be self-suficient for a whole year if necessary. We are also taught to share, so if you haven't you can come on over to my place, even if you don't have a prayer in your heart.

"You do realize that you are in the minority in the Go/faith issue, don't you?"

People with college educations (and IQs over 120) are in the minority, also.

A correlation, perhaps?

People with college educations (and IQs over 120) are in the minority, also. A correlation, perhaps?
    There could be something in that, Eric. Catholicism and Islam for example, both religions for the masses, both typically overbearing, rant and rave, hellfire for all unbelievers, both have most power in underdeveloped/poorer countries with a high percentage of peasant populace.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

gail

Have fun, guys, patting each other on the back and high-fiving while making fun of the rest of 95% of us. :

Have fun, guys, patting each other on the back and high-fiving while making fun of the rest of 95% of us. :
    No fun, no high fives, they are not logical, just expressing a thought. Are the greatest religious pressures to be found in the areas of greatest ignorance and poverty?

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Being in the majority doesn't make you right; that's my first response.

Second, you're attempting a package deal when you say "95 percent." In fact, its only religious belief (broadly defined) that is in the majority. Most religious people are, in fact, not Christians. They're Muslims of one kind or another. And even within Christianity, there are schisms/dividing lines over "brands" of it. And then, of course, there are other religions such as Mormonism - which by any fair standard i something else again!

Being in the majority doesn't make you right; that's my first response.

Second, you're attempting a package deal when you say "95 percent." In fact, its only religious belief (broadly defined) that is in the majority. Most religious people are, in fact, not Christians. They're Muslims of one kind or another. And even within Christianity, there are schisms/dividing lines over "brands" of it. And then, of course, there are other religions such as Mormonism - which by any fair standard is something else again!

gail

No fun, no high fives, they are not logical, just expressing a thought. Are the greatest religious pressures to be found in the areas of greatest ignorance and poverty?

Ken.
    What? I'd bet smart and rich if I dennounce my religious beliefs? Could you throw in thin and young too? Getting ready to traurge out on my Rally Legend scooter to my 2004 Chrysler Town and County Limited handicap accessible minivan to drive to Primm to buy a lottery ticket in hopes of becoming rich. Say a little prayer for me.

Ken.
    What? I'd bet smart and rich if I dennounce my religious beliefs? Could you throw in thin and young too? Getting ready to traurge out on my Rally Legend scooter to my 2004 Chrysler Town and County Limited handicap accessible minivan to drive to Primm to buy a lottery ticket in hopes of becoming rich. Say a little prayer for me.
    You are misinterpreting my proposition, Gail, denouncing your belief would probably have absolutely no effect, except possibly making you feel very alone for a while until you began to realise that you, and you alone, control your destiny. I was posing a question - Are the greatest religious pressures found in areas of maximum ignorance and poverty? I have always found it odd that a religion such a Catholicism, with all its wealth and grand panoply of office is so prevalent in countries such as Spain, Brazil, Mexico, Phillipines, Italy, Poland, Colombia, to name but a few. A poorly educated and superstitious population is much easier to 'milk' than an enlightened one, throw your money in the offertory, don't forget your tithe or hellfire will beckon. As I said, just a thought, not even one of significance really.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

gail

Ken.
    What? I'd bet smart and rich if I denounce my religious beliefs? Could you throw in thin and young too? Getting ready to trudge out on my Rally Legend scooter to my 2004 Chrysler Town and County Limited handicap accessible minivan to drive to Primm to buy a lottery ticket in hopes of becoming rich. Say a little prayer for me.
    You are misinterpreting my proposition, Gail, denouncing your belief would probably have absolutely no effect, except possibly making you feel very alone for a while until you began to realise that you, and you alone, control your destiny. I was posing a question - Are the greatest religious pressures found in areas of maximum ignorance and poverty? I have always found it odd that a religion such a Catholicism, with all its wealth and grand panoply of office is so prevalent in countries such as Spain, Brazil, Mexico, Phillipines, Italy, Poland, Colombia, to name but a few. A poorly educated and superstitious population is much easier to 'milk' than an enlightened one, throw your money in the offertory, don't forget your tithe or hellfire will beckon. As I said, just a thought, not even one of significance really.

Ken.
    I didn't misinterpreting your proposition - I was playing with you. I guess that I should have inserted an emotioncon. :P While I take my religious beliefs very seriously, I have no problem seeing the lightheartedness of situations and occasions.

There is no comparing Catholism with Mormonism. All Mormons are saints, few Catholics are. All Mormon men, in good standing, from the age of 12 up hold the priesthood, most adult men are married. The Mormon Church is a lay church. There are very few paid positions, but most members have a calling. There is never a collection plate passed in a Mormon meeting, and only members in good standing can contribute money. All members in good health are expected to give service to each other and to the community constantly and continueally. I hold two callings at the present time, they are Sunday greeter which I share those duties with my husband and another couple. I am also the Ward Family History Consultant. Those duties I also share with another person and at the present time we have 5 people that we are helping to research their family history.

As an example of what church members do in the line of service in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike the church sent out:

* 80,640 hygiene kits (six truckloads).
    * 8,064 cleaning kits (four truckloads).
    * Four truckloads of water.
    * 11,520 blankets (two truckloads).
    * 4,800 food boxes (four truckloads) which include rice, vegetable oil, peanut butter, fruit drink mix, and assorted canned goods. Each food box will feed a family of four for a week to 10 days.
    * Food, water, generators, sleeping bags, tools, chain saws, tarps and other items.
    More than 2,519 man days of labor has been provided by Church members volunteering. The volunteers wore yellow "Mormon Helping Hands" T-shirts. They go wherever they are needed.

I definitely believe that each of us control our own destiny. The Mormons call this 'Free agency.' My beliefs state that we have come to earth to get a body and to perfect ourselves.

I do understand what you are saying about religious beliefs and poverty though. In hard times and crisis those who have a strong belief system will endure through those times. You won't find these people jumping out of windows or sticking a gun in their mouth. There is a different mindset among believers, and whatever happens to them they are resilient.

There is no comparing Catholism with Mormonism. All Mormons are saints, few Catholics are. All Mormon men, in good standing, from the age of 12 up hold the priesthood, most adult men are married. The Mormon Church is a lay church. There are very few paid positions, but most members have a calling. There is never a collection plate passed in a Mormon meeting, and only members in good standing can contribute money. All members in good health are expected to give service to each other and to the community constantly and continueally. I hold two callings at the present time, they are Sunday greeter which I share those duties with my husband and another couple. I am also the Ward Family History Consultant. Those duties I also share with another person and at the present time we have 5 people that we are helping to research their family history.
    As you say, Gail, there is no comparison. Despite the fact that my beliefs are so very different from yours, I have, nevertheless the greatest respect for the Mormon Church. In my younger days I had a series of theo discussions with two of the Church Elders. They were unable to shake my tenets but, I must admit, in no way was I able to shake theirs. On one visit I was tied up repairing a neighbours car so that he could go on holiday the next day. When I apologised the senior of the two immediately said that he 'Was fairly handy with a wrench and would gladly give a hand' this whilst wearing a suit and tie - I guess the tie would have cost more than my suit - That to me was someone who didn't just preach but actually practised what he professed to believe. These guys had my respect, Gail and the last evening we spent together was spent listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, now there is an experience to be enjoyed irrespective of one's beliefs.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.